Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnes 12 GA 8 Pellet Buckshot

Barnes 12 GA 8 Pellet Buckshot

Haven't seen much information on the Barnes Defense Buckshot

https://www.barnesbullets.com/produc...ense-buckshot/

Asking about the 1200 FPS 8 pellet buckshot Index Number: BDS12G04

Is it a better replacement for Federal 8 pellet Flight Control (LE133) than the Hornady Critical Defense 8 pellet?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Im posting to find out too.

Flight Control seems to be impossible to find these days, but I was able to get my hands on a case of Hornady Black.

I know nothing about the Barnes, but I do know that the wad cup used in the Fed and Hordady is what gives them their advantage.

I just ordered a few boxes, i'll report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Price with shipping? I've got a shotgun project going and another flavor of buck to pattern would be nice if reasonable.

At over $3.50/round, that’s more than I’ve ever paid for FC 8 pellet - even the stash I got during the pandemic at scalper’s prices wasn’t that high.

My understanding is that load is the same as the Remington Ultimate Defense 8 pellet 00 buck, which is the same as old Remington's managed recoil 8 pellet 00 buck load. In a good gun, like a Vang'd gun or paired with a good choke selection, it could maybe get close to competing with FFC. I was able to get similar performance from the old Remington load out of a Mossberg 590a1 with an IC choke. I would have liked to have tried the load with a LM choke, but did not have one at the time of testing.

Name:  IMG_2538.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  40.6 KB

FWIW

"Summary of features include: 16-pellets of No. 1 Buck copper-plated lead shot; 12-gauge, 2 ¾-inch magnum load with 1,325 feet-per-second muzzle velocity; Use of buffer to prevent pellet deformation and ensure dense, uniform patterns; Premium-quality wad, hull, primer; Enhanced manufacturing quality tests and checks; 5-round boxes; MSRP: $15.99."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...buckshot-load/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Ditto… I ordered some and will pattern it with a couple of guns.

And (also recently spotted on TFB) maybe F127 1B is similar but not plated?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    FWIW

"Summary of features include: 16-pellets of No. 1 Buck copper-plated lead shot; 12-gauge, 2 ¾-inch magnum load with 1,325 feet-per-second muzzle velocity; Use of buffer to prevent pellet deformation and ensure dense, uniform patterns; Premium-quality wad, hull, primer; Enhanced manufacturing quality tests and checks; 5-round boxes; MSRP: $15.99."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...buckshot-load/

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And (also recently spotted on TFB) maybe F127 1B is similar but not plated?
    This is correct. F1271B and P1541B are basically the same load in two different product lines. The only really difference is one used plain lead pellets and the other copper plated pellets.

User Tag List