Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Revolver roundup experiences

I appreciate it, thanks. I’m at a body-weight exercise only 5’10” and just shy of 160, and while I can dress around a 4” K in a JMCK George, it is not a lounge around rig. LCR or J or bust for any sort of lounging or serious discretion on my build.

At any rate, that clarifies things for me, thanks again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Ive tried j frames twice and a det special about 15 years ago. The colt actually served me pretty well. I drew it a couple time in Hartford and New Haven in some pretty crummy spots. I primarily carried it aiwb in a galco horsehide holster that worked so so. The belt clip wasnt ideal.

I dont remember what I traded it for unfortunately.

The j frames were more recent. My ass and legs are just to big to pocket carry. I have a hard time with a 5 shot belt gun.

I have found that a k frame snub carried aiwb to be my best option. Very comfortable. Like I lounge at home and wrestle with my 2 year old with it. I can also shoot it as well as any other normal sized gun.

If I could pocket carry Id have a j frame at the very least as a bug.

Squats and deads? I have the same issue.

While I can pocket a J frame, it definitely doesn't disappear. To comfortably carry it long term, I would want a belt holster.

The difference seems slight but I and a few others I know can run an LCR much better and more consistently than a J-frame. For thoselooking at pocket revolvers but not jiving with a Smith, the little Rugers might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

While I can pocket a J frame, it definitely doesn't disappear...
    While the cleaning schedule is intensive compared to a revolver, I've found an LCP to draw better from a lot of pockets with my skier thighs. Not the biggest fan of automatics in the pocket but might have to bite the bullet myself someday if I gain any more leg circumference. Already have the LCP vetted and in the safe with a Mika holster just in case.

While I can pocket a J frame, it definitely doesn't disappear. To comfortably carry it long term, I would want a belt holster.
    Yeah, trying to find pants that fit is hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I appreciate it, thanks. I’m at a body-weight exercise only 5’10” and just shy of 160, and while I can dress around a 4” K in a JMCK George, it is not a lounge around rig. LCR or J or bust for any sort of lounging or serious discretion on my build.

At any rate, that clarifies things for me, thanks again.
    No prob.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    The difference seems slight but I and a few others I know can run an LCR much better and more consistently than a J-frame. For thoselooking at pocket revolvers but not jiving with a Smith, the little Rugers might be worth a try.

While the cleaning schedule is intensive compared to a revolver, I've found an LCP to draw better from a lot of pockets with my skier thighs. Not the biggest fan of automatics in the pocket but might have to bite the bullet myself someday if I gain any more leg circumference. Already have the LCP vetted and in the safe with a Mika holster just in case.
    That surprises me. Isn’t the LCR a little bigger?

So...... Very disingenuous to not distinguish the differences between a small semi and a smaller revolver concerning reliability.

A clean properly maintained revolver with an ammunition check before it's loaded (think spin the cylinder to make sure there's no hang ups) is very fail-proof unless it gets debris in it.

No question a revolver cannot survive high round count events compared to a semi. But.....carried properly and used in a SD situation.......I would bet the J- frame is far more reliable.especially in contact situations.

That surprises me. Isn’t the LCR a little bigger?
    That's likely a good bit of the reason it runs better than a J for me. That and grip geometry, trigger reach, smooth trigger pull, and decent sights.

Unless You mean the LCP bit where one draws better from some pockets for me. There I was talking about the little credit card 380 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    That's likely a good bit of the reason it runs better than a J for me. That and grip geometry, trigger reach, smooth trigger pull, and decent sights.

Unless You mean the LCP bit where one draws better from some pockets for me. There I was talking about the little credit card 380 ACP.
    Do you find the sight channel on an LCR to be superior to that on a J Frame?

I was holding out for a Smith 640 Pro "when I found a good deal." Now of course there's not even a crappy deal to be had.

I'm wondering if a LCR becomes available I should just settle for that.

The sights on my 638 are getting harder to use every year.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Do you find the sight channel on an LCR to be superior to that on a J Frame?
    You didn’t ask me, but absolutely.

User Tag List