Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Revolver roundup experiences

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    If I may be so bold.....

Finding a 640 Pro that actually shoots to the sights with a factory defensive load is a challenge.

The LCR has a really nice set of sights. I have a 2" 9mm LCR with a set of CT green laser grips and really like it a lot. If you are anywhere near Texas, you are welcome to borrow it and try it out. The factory trigger is way better than that of a stock Smith J-frame.

I hope that helps.
    That's a kind offer! I'm in Washington state, but I appreciate it.

My friend has both .357 and 9mm LCRs and we've a range date planned.

My other issue about the 640 Pro is that I'm not sure who makes the sights. They LOOK like Novaks, but Novak doesn't list them as a catalog item. So you're stuck with the front sight it comes with and have to file it to change POI. Also when the lamps go dim, it doesn't look like I can just knock them out of the dovetails and replace them.

The big draw to the 640 Pro is the weight to soak up recoil, and the fact that all my J-frame speed loaders, grips and holsters will fit it.

The .357 LCR is only a couple ounces heaver than my Airweight 638s and I have buy new support gear. I'll have to do some a/b testing and see if the sights are worth that.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That's a kind offer! I'm in Washington state, but I appreciate it.

My friend has both .357 and 9mm LCRs and we've a range date planned.

My other issue about the 640 Pro is that I'm not sure who makes the sights. They LOOK like Novaks, but Novak doesn't list them as a catalog item. So you're stuck with the front sight it comes with and have to file it to change POI. Also when the lamps go dim, it doesn't look like I can just knock them out of the dovetails and replace them.

The big draw to the 640 Pro is the weight to soak up recoil, and the fact that all my J-frame speed loaders, grips and holsters will fit it.

The .357 LCR is only a couple ounces heaver than my Airweight 638s and I have buy new support gear. I'll have to do some a/b testing and see if the sights are worth that.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    The 640 Pro is attractive. I bought a 60-9 instead when I was looking for an all-steel .357 Jframe to use as a trainer/small belt revolver. The sights on the Pro are different, and I didn’t see them as being a good design to help practice for carrying my 642. If I were going to just carry a 640 Pro, they’d *probably* be fine. But not as a steel trainer, not for the added expense.

60-9 has no lock, and a pinned front sight means I can upgrade easily enough if I decide to. Much more pleasant to shoot a bunch of rounds through than an airweight or airlight Ti. Not as obnoxious as I thought it would be with midrange .357s, but I’m not planning to shoot more of them. No problem with any .38 load.

Site Supporter
    That is the only place to find them. They have not been made in over 20 years. The J frame ones are harder to get, and I have two pairs of the N frame ones, which are rarer still.
    I never knew that they even made them for N-frames! How cool! Any chance that you might indulge us with a picture of them on something?

Thanks,
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    I never knew that they even made them for N-frames! How cool! Any chance that you might indulge us with a picture of them on something?

Thanks,
    Danny
    Sure, I will dig them out and do that. I don't have a round-butt N frame anymore, but I do have the grips.

Site Supporter
    Sure, I will dig them out and do that. I don't have a round-butt N frame anymore, but I do have the grips.
    I'd be glad to swap you a k-frame set for them if you might be interested...

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Yeah, trying to find pants that fit is hard enough.
    I'm with you: 5-11, 225-230 here. Competed in strongman for many years and still train like a maniac. Nothing fits me, either.

User Tag List