Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Nike, Coca-Cola, others reportedly lobbying against Uighur Chinese labor bill

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I'd argue that a vast, vast majority of the items we purchase from overseas (especially electronics and clothing/textiles) are produced in conditions that are probably not a massive step up from the (actual) slave labor conditions of the Uighur. Not to dismiss their plight or anything, but it's not a if it's all peaches and cream for the textile workers in Indonesia that made the T-shirt I'm wearing right now, either.
    This is true. So, don't buy textiles from Asia, unless they're made in Japan.

T-Shirts? Union-made apparel is available from Royal Apparel - https://www.royalapparel.net/cgi-bin...t=Union%20Made - I'm wearing one right now.

Shoes? Altama makes boots and shoes here in the USA - They even have a BOGO 50% deal right now - https://altama.com/ - The OTBs are great shoes, highly durable and slip resistant. Maybe a we bit casual for an office environment, but probably about perfect for the hospital enviro. Super comfortable, can stand/wear them all day comfort. Of course if you needs fancy ones - buy Aldens or a similar made in USA/Canada shoe.

Jeans? There are a couple of dozen brands out there, specializing in high quality denim. The best come from the USA and Japan, I'm wearing Japanese-made selvege by Uniqlo right now.

Socks? Fox River makes socks in Iowa. I'm wearing a pair of their wool-blend hiking socks right now. They're my go to winter sock. Their moisture wicking quarter sock is my go to summer.

I could go on. Textiles are one of those consumer grade products, besides meat and vegetables that can be ethically sourced in the USA. Some of the rubber materials used in Altama's shoes are probably sourced from foreign countries, but they are Berry Amendment Compliant, so not much. But the socks, jeans, and t-shirts I mentioned are all made from USA-sourced cotton/wool/synthetic fibers (including the Japanese jeans).

___
    This isn't a dig at you Neph.

Rather I recognize the United States is one of the (if not the) largest consumer cultures on the planet. When we vote with our dollars it has the power to change. And while you and I cannot necessarily change it all by ourselves, every dollar we feed to US-based companies that are using ethically-sourced labor and materials - is one less we feed to the slave labor machines elsewhere. If we want to affect change we have to do it, right?

Otherwise, we're just wokesters, who are aware of the problem and oppose the problem, but don't do anything to change it.

___
    As an aside - I'd pay a premium for an iPhone made in Japan, USA, Canada, or western Europe. I'd love to not be buying a Chinese-made iPhone. Even Taiwan would be a big step-up in my opinion. I really abhor buying new electronics, because I know it contributes so much to the continuation of slave/forced labor around the world.

That's why my current phone is a 5-year old iPhone, my current laptop is 7-years old, and our TV is 12-years old. I just don't want to buy new electronics, until it is absolutely necessary. It's also why I pay a premium for premium electronic goods. Apple isn't a great company, but iPhones have a shelf life measured in years to a decade, where as cheap phones do not.

Site Supporter
    I am more of a Pepsi Real Sugar and Pepsi max guy.

I am not a huge sneakerhead. Nike has been a fashion brand first forever. I base this on getting my then HS Track Daughter fitted for shoes every year at an independent retailer.
    Very few Nikes even offered, let alone sold at a "real" running shoe store.

Nike lost me as a customer forever recently when I became aware that they were cutting off many independent retailers to include some that were essentially buying from Phil direct back in the 70's just after Nike was selling rebranded stuff from Japan.

I grew up buying Nikes from a small chain of independent stores based in the KC metro called Pener's

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/nike-...franks-sports/

https://sgbonline.com/nike-says-just...ajor-accounts/

Edited to add: I have posted these sentiments elsewhere in the last few weeks multiple times, when I can avoid buying from the PRC, I am doing so knowing full well there maybe a significant premium in doing so without, in some cases anyway, a commensurate increase in quality/value. So Be It.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 12-01-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    This is true. So, don't buy textiles from Asia, unless they're made in Japan.

T-Shirts? Union-made apparel is available from Royal Apparel - https://www.royalapparel.net/cgi-bin...t=Union%20Made - I'm wearing one right now.

Shoes? Altama makes boots and shoes here in the USA - They even have a BOGO 50% deal right now - https://altama.com/ - The OTBs are great shoes, highly durable and slip resistant. Maybe a we bit casual for an office environment, but probably about perfect for the hospital enviro. Super comfortable, can stand/wear them all day comfort. Of course if you needs fancy ones - buy Aldens or a similar made in USA/Canada shoe.

Jeans? There are a couple of dozen brands out there, specializing in high quality denim. The best come from the USA and Japan, I'm wearing Japanese-made selvege by Uniqlo right now.

Socks? Fox River makes socks in Iowa. I'm wearing a pair of their wool-blend hiking socks right now. They're my go to winter sock. Their moisture wicking quarter sock is my go to summer.

I could go on. Textiles are one of those consumer grade products, besides meat and vegetables that can be ethically sourced in the USA. Some of the rubber materials used in Altama's shoes are probably sourced from foreign countries, but they are Berry Amendment Compliant, so not much. But the socks, jeans, and t-shirts I mentioned are all made from USA-sourced cotton/wool/synthetic fibers (including the Japanese jeans).

___
    This isn't a dig at you Neph.

Rather I recognize the United States is one of the (if not the) largest consumer cultures on the planet. When we vote with our dollars it has the power to change. And while you and I cannot necessarily change it all by ourselves, every dollar we feed to US-based companies that are using ethically-sourced labor and materials - is one less we feed to the slave labor machines elsewhere. If we want to affect change we have to do it, right?

Otherwise, we're just wokesters, who are aware of the problem and oppose the problem, but don't do anything to change it.

___
    As an aside - I'd pay a premium for an iPhone made in Japan, USA, Canada, or western Europe. I'd love to not be buying a Chinese-made iPhone. Even Taiwan would be a big step-up in my opinion. I really abhor buying new electronics, because I know it contributes so much to the continuation of slave/forced labor around the world.

That's why my current phone is a 5-year old iPhone, my current laptop is 7-years old, and our TV is 12-years old. I just don't want to buy new electronics, until it is absolutely necessary. It's also why I pay a premium for premium electronic goods. Apple isn't a great company, but iPhones have a shelf life measured in years to a decade, where as cheap phones do not.
    Maybe one of the shit mods on this site would could sticky an american made post where we could put links. I try and buy american made stuff when I can. Part of it is that I'm sick of buying garbage and throwing it away over and over. It's hard to do though. I buy the american made Keen's but they seem to make fewer and fewer every year. A sticky with easy options somewhere would be nice.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Maybe one of the shit mods on this site would could sticky an american made post where we could put links.
    I'm not opposed to it, but it's sort of reinventing the wheel. There are several websites with exhaustive lists of made in the US products already compiled, such as:

https://www.madeinamerica.co/pages/thelist
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Maybe one of the shit mods on this site would could sticky an american made post where we could put links. I try and buy american made stuff when I can. Part of it is that I'm sick of buying garbage and throwing it away over and over. It's hard to do though. I buy the american made Keen's but they seem to make fewer and fewer every year. A sticky with easy options somewhere would be nice.
    I think its a cool idea, as stuff recommended by PFers get higher status on my radar. I've never heard of Altama that RevolverRob mentioned before, but they look like some nice shoes and boots. I've bookmarked the site and will probably get some soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm not opposed to it, but it's sort of reinventing the wheel. There are several websites with exhaustive lists of made in the US products already compiled, such as:

Does anyone find it funny that the site's TLD is for Columbia? What happened to using a good ol' American .com or .net or .org or something?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Does anyone find it funny that the site's TLD is for Columbia? What happened to using a good ol' American .com or .net or .org or something?
    The "norrmal" ones might not be available (thanks domain squatters). Obviously the TLD doesn't dictate the physical location of the server.

Chris

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    The "norrmal" ones might not be available (thanks domain squatters). Obviously the TLD doesn't dictate the physical location of the server.

Chris
    The ".com" version exists, but it's more about trade shows then a list for consumers.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

New e-commerce platform for American-made products aims to support US manufacturers, economy

https://sellandbuyusa.com/
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    A few years ago, I screwed up and forgot to pack socks on a trip to Vancouver, B.C. Went to the nearest Walmart in the essentially Chinatown suburb where we were staying. It resembled the Asian markets I'm used to in SoCal and Houston more than any Walmart I'd previously seen. Bought what I expected to be the same Hanes white cotton crew socks I usually buy. They are thicker, softer, and all-around nicer than any Hanes socks I've seen in a U.S. store in at least 15 years, maybe longer.

Makes me wonder if its just the U.S. consumer chasing down to the bottom of the quality barrel in search of maximum profit/minimum price. Do Chinese factories make higher quality consumer hard goods for the domestic market?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List