Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SR15 or Radian Model 1

SR15 or Radian Model 1

I really like both of these and would love some input from the group. I’ve considered getting the radian lower on a kac upper but it seems hard to find either of those on their own right now. Purpose of the rifle is general shooting/training/defense. Will be stored in a quick access safe in the bedroom. Will wear an Aimpoint T2 and ModLite PLHv2 long body with click tail cap.

The radian is appealing for the great lower, fit and finish, and accuracy. Primary concern is weight.

I like the SR15 for the reliability, the rail, gas system and bolt. Proprietary parts are a minor concern. It’s what makes the SR15 the SR15.

I absolutely love my AXTS AX556 lowers; however, I don't see anything special about the Radian uppers. The handguards allegedly are deflected relatively easily, though that's not really a concern if you're not using an MFAL. Beyond that, they do have an excellent reputation for accuracy, but you could also pick out your own parts and have a competent smith build you an accurate upper.

The KAC is cool, but I'm not totally convinced of its utility for the average guy; even their reputation for quality doesn't really convince me, just because I have a friend who has gone 2/2 for KACs with issues (my own SR-25 CC upper has worked fine, though I'm rather disappointed with the accuracy of it).

A compromise could be an LMT? MARS-L lower (so full ambi, unlike the KAC), full enhanced BCG, angled gas port, could be something to look at, assuming you could source one.

I think the KAC upper/Radian lower combo would clearly be the best way to go, followed by the full KAC, then full Radian. But they're all quality choices, so hard to go wrong.

No experience with Radian but I'm happy with my SR-15. Zero reliability issues and it's a consistent .75 MOA gun with match bullets. All the ammo I have run through it has been my handloads using 55, 62, and 77 grain bullets.

I have a friend with similar experience.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Ive had 3 SR15s. All have been great. 4 friends all got SR's based on my experience and all have been greay as well. So from my small sampling I would be in the SR camp.

Site Supporter
    Don’t buy Gucci ARs from companies with no history of mil contracts.

KAC all the way

I’m running a SR15 upper on a colt 6920 lower. Can’t be happier

Are the ambi features important to you? The Radian and KAC have the left side mag release in very different places and the KAC can't lock the bolt back from the right side, though as I understand it you could add a Redi-Catch to get functionality equivalent to the Radian. The MARS-L mentioned above has a more traditional bolt catch on the right side, though it can interfere with some uppers. American Defense has another approach to the bolt catch on the right side.

SR15 all day.
    #RESIST

My SR15’s have been superb. 3 of them now, (two 14.5’s and one 16”). Trying to make it 4 but it is hard in this market. One of the other members here used to work for Kac. My apologies if I am misquoting but I believe this was his recommended maint. schedule:

5k:
    1. gas rings
    2. extractor springs
    3. action spring

10K rounds:
    1. gas rings
    2. extractor springs
    3. action spring
    4. ejector springs
    5. ejector retaining pin
    6. cam pin
    7. inspect and replace buffer if needed.

15K rounds:
    1. gas rings
    2. extractor springs
    3. action spring
    4. replace buffer regardless

Maintenance with them are low as you can see. I just keep pouring lube on my guns and punch the barrel and have had no issues what so ever. The accuracy is excellent with hand loads in mine. The 68’s, 75’s and 77’s. If you’re that concerned buy a spare bolt, buffer and springs. You should be good to go for some time with that. You won’t regret spending the money. I know some don’t like Kac but my experience has been better than with anything else I’ve owned.

I’m not associated with Kelly Enterprises but Chuck is a great source and he seems to have some inroads with Kac, more so than others. I’ve bought three lowers and two uppers from Chuck and was/am happy. Ordering some spare stuff from Kac was a snap as well. Both mentioned shipped quickly. If you’re worried about tooling there is an aftermarket company that makes a castle nut wrench for the one that fits in front of the gas block. URX wrenches are for sale and I think Operational parts has shim kits. You can find spare barrels as well that people took off. Some for very decent prices.

I’m not trying to sway you one way or the other but spare parts are available though usually in batches so if they become available snag them up if you want to have them on hand. Torque specs are out there as well. I like to let the mfg do the work if I need major stuff done but that hasn’t happened yet with these guns and I wouldn’t let worries about doing preventative maintenance or otherwise stop me from buying. You will not be disappointed with quality and if there is a function issue I’m certain they will square you away. YVK has or had an SR30 that had issues so maybe he can chime in or you can PM him to see how that went. GJM also had warranty work with one I think but maybe I have him and YVK as well.

@Mike C: I won't be surprised if I had said something that made people confused but I don't remember issues with my SR30. I will look at my log when I am home, but can you remind me what I said?
    GJM did have legit issues and his had to go back pretty much after one mag. KAC acknowledged the rifle was defective
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List