Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Score of the day

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    This revolver was just part of a package deal that I made today from a private seller.. You guys are going to hate me.. I also picked up the following

1. Browning A5, 12ga, looks to about a 28” bbl sadly, it also has one of those adjustable choke thingies that were popular in the 50’s and 60’s. Looking at serial number charts online, it appears that this was made in 1933, if I’m reading the charts right.. It’s in decent shape bore is bright and shiny, all numbered parts match. Looks like it’d be a good shooter.

2. Thompson-Center Contender, came with two 16” bbls one in .223, the other in .45 Colt/.410 its like new..

3. Norinco Model 320, Uzi clone, appears new in box, 16”bbl, thumb hole stock, in box with accessories, I’m thinking I’ll sell it.I bought all of this for less than $700
    Nice score. The A5 is a nice piece of HW. I like the "twist-o-choke" as they are quite functional. The "wonder winder" can be a lot easier than carrying multiple chokes and a wrench in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Nice score. The A5 is a nice piece of HW. I like the "twist-o-choke" as they are quite functional. The "wonder winder" can be a lot easier than carrying multiple chokes and a wrench in the field.
    True. But they sure ugly up the lines of a classic shotgun. I finally got around to actually measuring the barrel length and it’s 23” from the end of the receiver, to the bottom of the adjustable choke. Looking on Briley’s website they can put choke tubes in the barrel, I might do that.. There seems to be some disagreement between a couple of serial number charts I looked at to try to determine when this A5 was made, one says 1931, and another says it was made in 1935, there’s no doubt that this is a pre war example. I did put 5rounds through it in my side yard, shooting at my brush pile..It functioned just fine, the mag cutoff works, and I was surprised at how mild the recoil was, It’s quite pleasant to shoot.. I am going to keep it..

True. But they sure ugly up the lines of a classic shotgun. I finally got around to actually measuring the barrel length and it’s 23” from the end of the receiver, to the bottom of the adjustable choke. Looking on Briley’s website they can put choke tubes in the barrel, I might do that.. There seems to be some disagreement between a couple of serial number charts I looked at to try to determine when this A5 was made, one says 1931, and another says it was made in 1935, there’s no doubt that this is a pre war example. I did put 5rounds through it in my side yard, shooting at my brush pile..It functioned just fine, the mag cutoff works, and I was surprised at how mild the recoil was, It’s quite pleasant to shoot.. I am going to keep it..
    Since you’re keeping it, you’ve gotten your value between that and the sale of the Norinco, right? So you’re ok with selling me the 15 and the T/C for $1 each?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Rather than remove the adjustable choke and thread the barrel for chokes, you may be better off buying another barrel from Corson's at https://www.corsonsbarrels.com/browningbarrels.htm and selling (or keeping) your barrel. I also suggest getting some spare recoil system parts, namely the recoil spring and both steel and bronze friction pieces. In case you do not know, the friction pieces are arranged differently based on load as per the below. Depending upon the adjustable choke, you may have to adjust the arrangement to not batter the receiver.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Rather than remove the adjustable choke and thread the barrel for chokes, you may be better off buying another barrel from Corson's at https://www.corsonsbarrels.com/browningbarrels.htm and selling (or keeping) your barrel. I also suggest getting some spare recoil system parts, namely the recoil spring and both steel and bronze friction pieces. In case you do not know, the friction pieces are arranged differently based on load as per the below. Depending upon the adjustable choke, you may have to adjust the arrangement to not batter the receiver.
    I saw that drawing before..right now my A5 is set up in position 1, I shot 5 rnds through it yesterday, using some low brass loads loaded with #8 shot..functioned fine..I’m currently looking for recoil springs, as Brownell’s doesn’t seem to have any.
    As far as the barrel goes, I’m not sure what to do..buy a replacement barrel, or send it off to a Riley to get choke tubes installed, or leave it alone, and deal with it. One thing I have read is that on A5’s made before 1950, often the replacement barrel will not fit, and would need fitted to my receiver, mine was made in the 30’s.. While I don’t have much in it, I don’t want it to turn into a money pit either, as it is now, I’m not planning on doing anything with it until after the first of the year..

Dammit, you people pushed me over the edge on this one!

Name:  EF18EDDB-005E-4690-8BC3-57CBAC611064.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  83.3 KB

It’s kind of a lot more rail than I think I’ll need for a Delta Point Pro. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post

It’s kind of a lot more rail than I think I’ll need for a Delta Point Pro. Suggestions?
    Check with Weigand. They make (or made) a shorter mount and IIRC you can get it in d&t or no d&t options.

And now I sort want the 15-4 (I double checked my notes) on consignment at my local pusher’s shop that I’ve been resisting so far...
    Last edited by awp_101; 12-04-2020 at 06:58 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I haven’t used one (yet), but I’m thinking of the EGW RDS mount for my Super Blackhawk.

https://www.egwguns.com/deltapoint-p...er-sight-mount

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I haven’t used one (yet), but I’m thinking of the EGW RDS mount for my Super Blackhawk.

https://www.egwguns.com/deltapoint-p...er-sight-mount
    Yessssssss! I feel like that would still look good with stag magnas and a Tyler-T. Maybe.

Got hacksaw?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List