Thread: Co. C 102nd Regimental Infantry 1916 (Mexican Border)

Co. C 102nd Regimental Infantry 1916 (Mexican Border)

Crappy weather today so I spent some time sorting through old family records. This is information written down by my dad's older sister.

My paternal Grandfather.
    Born 4/5/1892 MilTown Malbay Co. Clare Ireland.
    Died 11/23/1970 New Haven. CT

Came to America Approx. 1912 first to Albany, NY then New Haven, CT.

Enlisted in U.S. Army 6/23/1916 as a Pvt. in Company C 102nd Regimental Infantry (Mexican Border).
    Discharged Honorably for reason of Disability 9/23/1918. (Received monthly Veterans Pension)

Somewhere squirreled away on a CD/DVD I burned years ago is a .jpg copy of a document I found on Ancestry.com (during a freebie period) of his dispensation paper for WW2 based on War injuries.

Naturalized 9/20/1920 I have his Naturalization #
    Married my Grandmother (died 8/28/1957) April 4, 1923 in New Haven, CT.

I never heard much about my Grandfather's military service or had the opportunity to meet my Grandmother. As a kid all I knew was that he was a retired New Haven Police Officer. I was told he was the toughest cop on the force and would go into places no one else would. My dad's older sister always told me that my dad (Korean veteran) was deathly afraid of his dad.

Anyone have any idea with the information I have would there be any records available of any value from the government that I could obtain to learn more? Army? Naturalization records? Old New Haven Police Department records?

I found this interesting historical article. Unfortunately my Grandfather in not the Irish immigrant from New Haven mentioned. So my Grandfather could have been chasing down Poncho Villa before heading to Europe and the Great War. https://www.ctexplored.org/the-102nd...western-front/
    Last edited by JohnO; 11-30-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for sharing. The Mexican Expedition is a forgotten conflict worthy of re-discovery. My paternal grandfather served in that war as a part of The First Aero Squadron. I was fortunate enough to know both sets of my grandparents quite well. My paternal grandfather had many pictures of him in Brownsville in the tunic uniform with the campaign hat and puttees. He was later a successful businessman who always carried concealed a snub-nose revolver, even late into his life when it became illegal for him to do so.

This period has some great history of which I’m particularly interested...
    Name:  11FADC86-7CAD-498E-9AC3-E1D8570BF859.png
Views: 122
Size:  84.7 KBName:  EAEAA2F0-1783-4537-BB02-2C041026CDF4.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  102.1 KB

User Tag List