Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta M9 vs. SIG M17: Pros and Cons - Gun Guys with Bill Wilson and Massad Ayoob

Site Supporter
    I learned to love the M9 once I got branch detailed to an MP unit that had NCOs and a commander who actually cared about pistol shooting and maintenance. But based on the rest of my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    I learned to love the M9 once I got branch detailed to an MP unit that had NCOs and a commander who actually cared about pistol shooting and maintenance. But based on the rest of my experience

Sorry, somehow messed up what I was trying to say above. Anyway, what I meant to continue saying is that based on the rest of my experience, the main good reason to switch to the M17 is to force the Army to get rid of all of its beat to crap, poorly maintained M9 stuff. If we had stuck with the M9A3, there would still be hordes of broke or semi-broke M9s and M9 mags and other parts that would persist in the inventory and never go away.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Mas's point about trigger reach and size is legit. I fully favor the 92 on a personal level, but that DA pull for most females and some males is pretty far out there.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    Interestingly enough, I've found the more objectionable trigger reaches to be for guns like the Sig P226 and the CZ-75. I just can't stretch my finger that far. Compared to those, the Beretta is easy for me.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Interestingly enough, I've found the more objectionable trigger reaches to be for guns like the Sig P226 and the CZ-75. I just can't stretch my finger that far. Compared to those, the Beretta is easy for me.
    Can't disagree with you there.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Mas's point about trigger reach and size is legit. I fully favor the 92 on a personal level, but that DA pull for most females and some males is pretty far out there.
    It is.

LTT's grips and the relief cut in the back of the newer frames help with that a good bit.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by claymore504 View Post
    As an infantry soldier I really never had to deal with the M9 very much. The little that I did, I did not think much of it. I could not reach the trigger very good in DA, the DA pull was heavy and the mags we had were way beyond service life. After getting out of the Army many years later I picked up a 92FS, just to have. As i figured out it could be modified very easily with WC thin grips, a D spring and WC short reach trigger, I started to like it. Then when the Elitee LTT came out and I got one from Ernest with trigger job, I fell in love with the 92.

Now for general service for the Army, I think the M17 is going to be better based on the fact that the trigger reach in DA on the M9 was an issue for many soldiers. To top that off the training for handguns was garbage at best. So striker fired will just be easier for soldiers to learn with little training.

Now as it stands today, give me a Beretta 92/M9 any day over the M17. However, I did purchase a commercial M17 a while back just to have one.
    Neither my wife nor daughter can shoot the Beretta DA style due to trigger reach. Both can shoot a Beretta Storm DA style. The P320 trigger is much easier to access in that regard.

Having said that, they both love shooting the Beretta SA style.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Neither my wife nor daughter can shoot the Beretta DA style due to trigger reach. Both can shoot a Beretta Storm DA style. The P320 trigger is much easier to access in that regard.

Having said that, they both love shooting the Beretta SA style.
    Changing to WC or LTT thin grips and a WC short reach trigger made all the difference for me. That may help them out with the DA trigger reach.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It is.

LTT's grips and the relief cut in the back of the newer frames help with that a good bit.
    It doesn’t help that the M9 was stuck with the frame that didn’t have the relief cut because the Army didn’t want guns with any of the updates that Beretta rolled out throughout the years. Most of the changes wouldn’t have required additional testing as they could have been engineering change proposals the way Beretta suggested the Army could have adopted M9A3s instead of continuing to purchase M9s.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Wilson was vague when asked about the "little pieces" of the Sig's FCU. Yes, it is an issue.

User Tag List