Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: #RevolverCurious

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Very interesting. They use Clear Ballistics gel, is that kosher?

The Fed HST .38 looked pretty impressive. As did some of the all copper loads in .357.
    No, it’s not the FBI standard.

The reason why it’s important is because it’s rare to have a table of actual, comparable data done in the same medium by the same people under repeatable conditions. That’s why it matters.

Very interesting. They use Clear Ballistics gel, is that kosher?

The Fed HST .38 looked pretty impressive. As did some of the all copper loads in .357.
    FWIW, my understanding is the synthetic gel understates expansion somewhat and overstates penetration by about 20 to 30%. This is both from gel testers here at P-F and comparing organic tests at places that use organic, like Ballistics By The Inch, to synthetic tests from Lucky Gunner and others.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

The reason why it’s important is because it’s rare to have a table of actual, comparable data done in the same medium by the same people under repeatable conditions. That’s why it matters.
    This, and it's also the only data we have for old school ammo like the FBI loads, Remington's SJHPs, and Hornady's XTPs. I chose the R-P 158-grain load as my .357 Mag carry load based on this test and the fact that it hits POA from my 681.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

Yes. I think it is useful for comparing one load to another, but not for comparing it to the FBI standard.

It's still useful to know "X will penetrate more than Y"
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think it would be cool to have a 357 load with a 0.357" 147G2 going the same speed as our pistols with a fast enough powder not to light the curtains on fire. There have to be dozens of us that want a factory load like that!!!
    Dozens. At least.

edit:and to RevChuck's point about 9mm development, will the .38 get similar development(can it be developed?) to raise it to a top tier round? Once Gropy Joe outlaws everything besides sixguns and two shoots?
    It absolutely can be. Two things holding it back, likely. One is that there isn't the competition for LE agency contracts that will move tens to hundreds of thousands, even millions, of rounds to a single customer. The other is that there are still legacy 158gr loads available that likely work just fine. Also, there are 130-145 grain bonded loads from major manufacturers that are pretty comparable to their best bottom-feeder loads. They just already don't sell that many of them, so where is the payback to justify investing in slightly betterizing them?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Kinda like my 140gr xtp at 1150fps
    I need to try some of that. Bet it would be nice from the GP MC.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    No. Well, I mean it might be literally kosher, but it's not the standard for FBI style testing.
    But is it halal?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    ...and to RevChuck's point about 9mm development, will the .38 get similar development(can it be developed?) to raise it to a top tier round?
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It absolutely can be. Two things holding it back, likely. One is that there isn't the competition for LE agency contracts that will move tens to hundreds of thousands, even millions, of rounds to a single customer. The other is that there are still legacy 158gr loads available that likely work just fine. Also, there are 130-145 grain bonded loads from major manufacturers that are pretty comparable to their best bottom-feeder loads. They just already don't sell that many of them, so where is the payback to justify investing in slightly betterizing them?
    Based on the Lucky Gunner tests, it looks like you could add ~20 grains to the 130-grain HST Micro design, still stay within +P pressures and get decent expansion, at least from a 4" barrel. As noted above, the market for them would be a tiny niche and they'd never recoup their investment. The main improvement of such a load over the R-P and Winchester FBI loads would be intermediate barrier performance...maybe. The development the ammo companies have done was on 125-135-grain bullets at snubby velocities and most of them seem to work pretty well and have produced good ROI for the companies that make them.

I think .38 is not all that underserved, I think .357 is the stepchild. A few years ago I found some of the Gold Dot Short Barrel stuff and it was still just nasty. All I want is 9mm performance without the flashbang concussion. Probably what I actually want is to get my 340 reamed...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think .38 is not all that underserved, I think .357 is the stepchild. A few years ago I found some of the Gold Dot Short Barrel stuff and it was still just nasty. All I want is 9mm performance without the flashbang concussion. Probably what I actually want is to get my 340 reamed...
    The .357 golden sabers are probably the closest. 125 @ 1200fps. Very mild to shoot.

A lot of the talk about improving 38 Special terminal performance amounts to so many angels dancing on the head of a primer. Pat Rogers and DB have both noted in the past that 38 Special, even the shitty LRN loads, worked just fine when shot people in the bits that matter. To steal a phrase from Jared Reston, if you guy a kill in a gunfight, he doesn't get to come back just because you used the wrong load on him.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    The .357 golden sabers are probably the closest. 125 @ 1200fps. Very mild to shoot.
    Thanks for the tip. Now the hunt starts for not just ammo, but REMINGTON ammo... Hahahaha

User Tag List