Thread: Muzzleloaders in 2020

Muzzleloaders in 2020

So, this year I'll be missing out on hunting with the family because of Covid and my mom being scared to death of it. I missed out last year due to work issues beyond my control. Next year I want to try to maximize my time since I've not been able to go. Centerfire season is only for about 2 weeks in MI, so I was thinking about getting into a muzzleloader since it'll let me hunt longer next season. What sorts of muzzleloaders should I be looking at and why?

Site Supporter
    Following with interest

Site Supporter
    If you have an Encore, the Katahdin 50cal barrel is nice, but can be hard to find.

Aside from the early Remington ML700 I had, that is the only muzzleloader I've owned.

If I were buying again today, I'd look for a 50cal (use sabots for 44 or 45 cal bullets), in-line, 209 primers, quick remove breech, and easy access to load primers (some are more fiddly than others).

BH209 powder is the only one I'll use now. I can go 20+ shots at the range without cleaning. I could only go 2-3 with Pyrodex as a comparison. Clean up with BH209 is with the same stuff you'd clean your centerfire guns with.

BTW, any specific regs you need to adhere to? Such as flintlock-only (Pennsylvania)?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    If you have an Encore, the Katahdin 50cal barrel is nice, but can be hard to find.

Aside from the early Remington ML700 I had, that is the only muzzleloader I've owned.

If I were buying again today, I'd look for a 50cal (use sabots for 44 or 45 cal bullets), in-line, 209 primers, quick remove breech, and easy access to load primers (some are more fiddly than others).

BH209 powder is the only one I'll use now. I can go 20+ shots at the range without cleaning. I could only go 2-3 with Pyrodex as a comparison. Clean up with BH209 is with the same stuff you'd clean your centerfire guns with.

BTW, any specific regs you need to adhere to? Such as flintlock-only (Pennsylvania)?

Chris
    The only regulation that I can find in Michigan is that it has to be used with either black-powder or a commercially manufactured black-powder substitute. I guess anything else is fair game.

I have had good luck CVA Wolf for new shooters. Fairly inexpensive, easy to load and easy to clean. Links below

Loaded with 2 Hodgdon Triple 7 pellets and a Power belt bullet makes the Wolf good to about 150 yards. I have never seen one not shoot this loading.

That said my, go to is a Traditions Vortek(pre striker fired) that I can comfortable shoot to 225 yards or so.

Make sure you read your state regulations. It differs from state to state and what constitutes a muzzleloader.

Wolf Stainless Steel with Realtree Edge Stock – CVA

Triple Seven® 50/50 Pellets | Hodgdon

POWERBELT .50 295 gr. COPPER (bpishopping.com)

Vortek StrikerFire® Series | TraditionsFirearms.com

The Knight Ultralite (sp?) has some stellar reviews and seems to be incredibly accurate for a smokepole. There’s a thread on Rokslide demonstrating some 5” and less 200yd groups. I believe there are even aftermarket brakes for it now.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    I’m just going to drop this link here in the spirit of enablement, not because I have any actual experience with it. Who cares if it’s almost a grand it’s got a can.

https://www.swfa.com/silencerco-maxi...er-140646.html
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I have had good luck CVA Wolf for new shooters. Fairly inexpensive, easy to load and easy to clean. Links below

Loaded with 2 Hodgdon Triple 7 pellets and a Power belt bullet makes the Wolf good to about 150 yards. I have never seen one not shoot this loading.

Wolf Stainless Steel with Realtree Edge Stock – CVA
    Hmmm, those look damn tempting to someone looking get into a muzzleloading rifle because he sort of misses his BP revolvers...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I hadn't hunted with a muzzleloader in about 15 years, but had an opportunity for a private land elk hunt Colorado this past fall during the rut. A muzzleloader was allowed.

After research, I decided on the CVA Optima, with a Nitride finish. Ordered without the scope, and was very affordable. Trigger was outstanding! Buds had the best price.

Removable breach plug makes it very easy to clean, but I had to order a new plug because I elected to use Blackhorn powder.

Colorado didn't allow scopes, so I installed a peeprib sight, and got good groups at 100 yards with 370 grain bullets.

Haven't killed anything with this rifle yet, I passed on a cow elk the first evening of the hunt and wasn't able to call a bull into range later in the week.

I will scope it for local hunts, then work up a load with sabots.

User Tag List