Thread: Macbook Pro Battery - Quick Help Needed

Site Supporter

Macbook Pro Battery - Quick Help Needed

One of my older friends has a Macbook Pro with an A1228 battery. A glance at the Apple website says they'll gladly take $200 off his hands to put a new battery in it. I see ebay batteries for $23.95 shipped. Is there a middle ground with a battery that will last him for a couple years? Or do I just suggest he get the $24 battery and recharge every 2 hours?

The computer was made in 2010 I'm pretty sure, so it's not worth putting much $$ into.

Battery replacement on them is pretty straight forward on the Macbooks if someone is mechanically inclined.

BUT before replacing the battery. He should leave the device plugged in for about a week straight. In my experience, this has a tendency to 'reset' some of charge taking capability of Macbooks. The one I'm typing on right now is a 2015 model and it tells me the battery 'needs service' about once every 6-months. When it does, I leave it plugged in for a week straight and it stops telling me that, and recovers some of the charge capacity.

That said, I did replace the battery in my old Macbook (2008/09 version) a couple of years ago. I replaced it with one of those $25 or $35 Newegg batteries. It has been just fine and holds a charge just fine, but it is not the main computer in the house anymore. Just serving primarily as a hub for our server.

Site Supporter
    If the computer is a 2010 model, it is unlikely that Apple will be able to offer any kind of service. Once a machine has not been in production after a certain amount of time they quit making service parts for them.

If the bottom of the computer has Phillips head screws and not pentalope, he can likely source a battery from a reputable source (not Amazon or eBay) and replace the battery on their own.

Feel free to pm me for more info.

I have a late 2011 and the battery used to last almost all day at work. My wife is currently using it since I have a laptop assigned to me through my work. The MacBook battery needed replacing so I went with this Ifixit battery. My wife says it lasts about 4 or 5 hours before needing to charge.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/Mac.../IF188-113?o=2

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    One of my older friends has a Macbook Pro with an A1228 battery. A glance at the Apple website says they'll gladly take $200 off his hands to put a new battery in it. I see ebay batteries for $23.95 shipped. Is there a middle ground with a battery that will last him for a couple years? Or do I just suggest he get the $24 battery and recharge every 2 hours?

The computer was made in 2010 I'm pretty sure, so it's not worth putting much $$ into.
    What problem is he trying to solve with the new battery? Sometimes there are issues with the model of MacBook that act like battery issues but it’s actually something else.

If your positive that it’s a battery issue it’s an easy fix. I definitely wouldn’t send it to Apple.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    I think there are actually 2 problems with it. The first is that the battery no longer holds charge -- it's the original and I'm sure it's cycled out.

Second problem is that right now it won't run even on the AC adapter. This happened after he bought a second charger / adapter which worked for one week and then that too failed. Neither of the chargers light up when you plug them in. Tried the hold the power button for 10 seconds and then attempt restart, nothing. Some people on the internet had success just blowing dust out of the charge port, he tried that, no luck.

My hope is that maybe I'll find something obvious wrong with the charge port, but if not, maybe a new battery will at least get him going long enough to get some of his files off of it....of course he's got nothing backed up. Just trying to help the guy out and it's a little inconvenient because he lives 1/2 hour away so I don't have the computer right here with me.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    I think there are actually 2 problems with it. The first is that the battery no longer holds charge -- it's the original and I'm sure it's cycled out.

Second problem is that right now it won't run even on the AC adapter. This happened after he bought a second charger / adapter which worked for one week and then that too failed. Neither of the chargers light up when you plug them in. Tried the hold the power button for 10 seconds and then attempt restart, nothing. Some people on the internet had success just blowing dust out of the charge port, he tried that, no luck.

My hope is that maybe I'll find something obvious wrong with the charge port, but if not, maybe a new battery will at least get him going long enough to get some of his files off of it....of course he's got nothing backed up. Just trying to help the guy out and it's a little inconvenient because he lives 1/2 hour away so I don't have the computer right here with me.
    Have you tried an SMC reset? https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

It won’t fix the battery issue but it might bring back the ability to work connected to the charger.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I've used a few aftermarket batteries in my Apple products (iPods, iPhones, MacBooks). They work OK and can extend the device's life, but they don't perform as well as a genuine Apple battery. But since they are so much cheaper, it may be worth the cost. I'd recommend a place like NewEgg over eBay, but that's just me.

Since Apple charges such a ridiculous price for repairs, I've replaced or upgraded some hardware myself. Usually the hardest part with working on Macs is taking them apart. Some of the desktop iMacs were real puzzles. Taking apart a MacBook is pretty obvious, but Apple uses these tiny proprietary screws. Sometimes NewEgg will include the tool you need or sell it for a nominal cost. YouTube has helped me many times working on my Apple products.

I'd put in the cheap battery and see what that fixes first.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Have you tried an SMC reset? https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201295

It won’t fix the battery issue but it might bring back the ability to work connected to the charger.
    FWIW this worked for me on a 2018 macbook pro that "died" and would not charge. I was able to at least get it to boot afterwards and salvage some data.

User Tag List