Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JM AIWB High-Ride Mag Pouch - DCC Clip or Monoblock?

JM AIWB High-Ride Mag Pouch - DCC Clip or Monoblock?

I'm looking to get the JMCK AIWB mag pouch. I'm trying to decide between the DCC clip or Monoblock. There's a $7 additional charge for the single DCC clip but no additional charge for the Monoblock on the JM site. I'm a little surprised by that, but then again I don't have anything with a Monoblock so there may be a good reason for the cost difference.

Cost aside, my uneducated guess is that the Monoblock might be a bit over-engineered for a mag pouch? Or is the single DCC clip a little under-engineered for this mag pouch? I often use my Dark Star Koala with a single PTD loop but the loop allows for a little more fore and aft cant movement and I'm thinking the JM pouch works similar to the Koala but will allow less movement with either DCC attachment option.

What say you experts?

I have been wearing the high ride pouch with a Glock 24 round mag for a few months. I went with the single DCC that’s 1.75”, worn on a 1.5” belt to allow for more movement when bending, twisting, and seated. The slightly larger clip was suggested by a knife sheath maker I used for a small fixed blade, and it also is very comfortable with the extra movement it allows on the belt line.
    The high ride mag pouch works well set up like this, often finding the pouch settling at a more horizontal position on my belt line during the course of my day. Not sure if the pouch set up with a mono block would allow that same movement. I could only tolerate the original AIWB mag pouch for short periods and have not worn it since getting the longer version. That may have more to do with the extra length of the high ride setup not digging in though. Another bonus of the high ride version is that you can use a regular 17 rounder in it.
    Overall, it’s much more comfortable than the original shorter length pouch if you can tolerate that much going on, between the gun and mag pouch worn AIWB.
    Apologies if that was more confusing than helpful.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

Quote Originally Posted by Doublestack45 View Post
    I have been wearing the high ride pouch with a Glock 24 round mag for a few months. I went with the single DCC that’s 1.75”, worn on a 1.5” belt to allow for more movement when bending, twisting, and seated. The slightly larger clip was suggested by a knife sheath maker I used for a small fixed blade, and it also is very comfortable with the extra movement it allows on the belt line.
    The high ride mag pouch works well set up like this, often finding the pouch settling at a more horizontal position on my belt line during the course of my day. Not sure if the pouch set up with a mono block would allow that same movement. I could only tolerate the original AIWB mag pouch for short periods and have not worn it since getting the longer version. That may have more to do with the extra length of the high ride setup not digging in though. Another bonus of the high ride version is that you can use a regular 17 rounder in it.
    Overall, it’s much more comfortable than the original shorter length pouch if you can tolerate that much going on, between the gun and mag pouch worn AIWB.
    Apologies if that was more confusing than helpful.
    No, not confusing at all - it actually mirrors my experience with the Dark Star Koala. You using a 1.75 clip on a 1.5 belt is probably similar to the Koala's PTD loop rotating fairly easily as I wear it. Like you, I find the Koala going pretty close to horizontal as I wear it. That's what I "THINK" I don't like, and wonder if I want LESS movement and more of a fixed carry angle.

I also prefer less movement, and based on my experience I’d suggest trying both. It’s possible the 1.5” DCC clip will work for you. It also offers the advantage of cant adjustment.

That said, the one issue I have had with it is managing the heavier mags - like a double stack full size 9mm mag. With a DCC I had those constantly falling to my left becoming more horizontal (right handed shooter) With those mags I actually had better luck with a single PTD loop on its tightest setting, and a Monoblock could similarly work. You just lose the cant adjustment. With single stack mags, I definitely prefer the original DCC.

If you prefer a more straight/vertical mag orientation and less movement, the Monoblock may be the answer. I just haven’t used one, so I can only describe my experiences with the original DCC clips.

Here is my take on this. The High ride with single DCC clip will allow the least amount of rotational movement while still allowing mag ride height adjustment in the pouch as well as ride height of the pouch. The High ride with monoblock will have a bit of rotational movement with the pouch and still have ride height adjustment of the mag in the pouch but no pouch ride height adjustment of the pouch. The dual pull the dot loops will have less rotational movement of the pouch than the monoblock but with no ride height adjustment of the pouch but still have mag ride height adjustment in the pouch.

The AIWB mag pouch has no ride height adjustment for the mag or the pouch and works pretty good for full size mags, but has less mag to grab for reloads. I try and get customers to buy the high ride as it offers a lot of adjustments with out wanting to roll out.

Thanks
    Last edited by Tony Mayer; 11-29-2020 at 09:27 PM.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Tony,

I just need a shell for a Unity Tactical Clutch but with velcro sides and bottom. What do you suggest? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Tony,

I just need a shell for a Unity Tactical Clutch but with velcro sides and bottom. What do you suggest? Thanks!
    Willard, order the IWB3. And let me know in the comments you want it for the Unity Tactical clutch and it will come with female velcro. Also let me know if you want the belt loop you need to order with it or not. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

This might be obvious (and also pointless) but the DCC clips (and not the monoblock) will allow tucking of the mag pouch. I have tested it out with a 140mm Glock mag and G17 size frame- they actually didn't print when tucking in a rugby shirt. I was impressed but have not actually bothered carrying like this.

I only recently put DCC clips on my mag pouches and would say they're slightly more concealable than PTD loops but are less comfortable and do not move as well with me. I actually rarely carry a mag pouch, I usually carry spares in pockets.

On the high ride mag pouch for G19 mags, will they actually fit a 17 mag as well? I did notice the separate option for 17 size mags on the list. I like the option to run either size at times.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    On the high ride mag pouch for G19 mags, will they actually fit a 17 mag as well? I did notice the separate option for 17 size mags on the list. I like the option to run either size at times.
    Yes they will. They have an adjustable ride height for the mag so you can run it deeper or higher depending on what you want for ride height or full size or compact mags.

Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

User Tag List