Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Movie With Prominent Roles For TRUE Combat Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    How do you pronounce GIGN?

Im ashamed to admit everytime I see it I picture the guy from American Dad saying "giggity".
    I’ve always heard it spoke G-I-G-N, each letter said. It’s an abbreviation for Groupe d'intervention de la Gendarmerie nationale. National Gendarmerie Intervention Group.

There is another movie about their retaking of a hijacked airliner and rescuing of the hostages. There’s a bit of revolver use by the GIGN members.

The movie is called The Assault, here’s a clip from it with the revolvers https://youtu.be/aveIcPFjuCM
    Last edited by Ndbbm; 11-29-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    You pronounce each letter.
    Right.

I've heard some French people sometimes refer to it as "jijene" but mostly they pronounce each letter, I found.
    That’s a distinction without a difference, since that’s pretty much what «GIGN» sounds like in French when you say it fast. It’s still the acronym, with each letter pronounced.

It's on Amazon prime so I'm going to watch it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter

Im ashamed to admit everytime I see it I picture the guy from American Dad saying "giggity".
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    You pronounce each letter.

I've heard some French people sometimes refer to it as "jijene" but mostly they pronounce each letter, I found.
    I've heard Francophones say "Ji-Jene" (hard G, i= "E" like Spanish, soft g N) or spelled out but with prononcitcion Francaise: G (zhay) I (ee) G (zhay) N (en).
    Last edited by HCM; 11-29-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Site Supporter
    Watched 15 minutes of War on Amazon. Not 100% accurate but a Pretty good movie.

It's a good movie. I don't know how accurate it is. I think I remember hearing that the American's role in the whole thing was greatly exaggerated in the movie. Eh, whatever. It says at the beginning and the end it's inspired by true events and they're not trying to be totally accurate.
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Was there a specific barrel length MR73 used/issued by GIGN? Some pictures look like 4" guns and some look longer (not counting the sniper variant).

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    It's a good movie. I don't know how accurate it is. I think I remember hearing that the American's role in the whole thing was greatly exaggerated in the movie. Eh, whatever. It says at the beginning and the end it's inspired by true events and they're not trying to be totally accurate.
    I think that one needs a token American character, to interest a USA audience. It also gives the script a reason to have a significant amount of dialogue be spoken in English. The trailer implied that he was quite important. Simple economics.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I think that one needs a token American character, to interest a USA audience. It also gives the script a reason to have a significant amount of dialogue be spoken in English. The trailer implied that he was quite important. Simple economics.
    That's pretty much what I heard. If it's between shoe horning him in there or not making the movie then I'll take it. Even as it was he wasn't important so whatever.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Was there a specific barrel length MR73 used/issued by GIGN? Some pictures look like 4" guns and some look longer (not counting the sniper variant).
    My understanding from reading about them over the years has been that the GIGN obtained 3, 4, 5.25, and 8-inch variants, but didn’t like the longer two barrels much due to how front-heavy they made the revolvers. You probably saw photos of the 5.25-inch ones, although I think the 4-inch versions were the most popular.

User Tag List