Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Movie With Prominent Roles For TRUE Combat Revolvers

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Many years ago, I read something about a Euro anti-terror group training with revolvers. The drill was to shoot the terrorist in the shoulder, spinning him away from the hostage, and then shoot him in the head. They were using magnums. My memory is faulty as to what caliber or whether it was GIGN or GSG-9.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Many years ago, I read something about a Euro anti-terror group training with revolvers. The drill was to shoot the terrorist in the shoulder, spinning him away from the hostage, and then shoot him in the head. They were using magnums. My memory is faulty as to what caliber or whether it was GIGN or GSG-9.
    GSG9, as I remember it, was created in response to the Munich Massacre (like GIGN) and was (still is?) a police unit. As such, their first handgun was a 38 Special revolver. I'm not sure when they changed to 9mm (and the P7 wasn't it?) but I believe it was due to bad field results (as in the terrorist just wouldn't go down -perhaps during the airliner rescue in Somalia?). If the guys you're thinking of were using magnums, I'm pretty sure it was GIGN as I believe they were the only "special" police unit to use them.

In the early days of all those units, so little was known about tactics and ballistics (compared to now) that they pretty much learned it all on the job and created much of what is now being used.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Is that the group that got Beretta to make the decock-only 92G?

Here is a link to the history of the incident.

http://foreignlegion.info/1976-loyad...escue-mission/

I watched the movie. Interesting to watch. After reading of the incident from the above link you can conclude they took a lot of liberties with the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    Is that the group that got Beretta to make the decock-only 92G?
    Not as far as I know, as they don't seem to have ever used it in their operations (they've used the Manurhin revolvers and Glocks, often 17Ls, from what I've seen). However, their parent organization (the Gendarmerie national which is basically a national level police force -though it's a bit more complicated as most things French) is the one that influenced the creation of the "G" variant.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

On the topic of GIGN revolvers, there was a run of 500 19-3s made for GIGN by Smith & Wesson in the early 70s. Fixed sight, pinned & recessed, 3” round butt. This is one of my true grail revolvers.

If only these pics were mine...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGP100 View Post
    Here is a link to the history of the incident.

http://foreignlegion.info/1976-loyad...escue-mission/

I watched the movie. Interesting to watch. After reading of the incident from the above link you can conclude they took a lot of liberties with the movie.
    A little background: Somalia at that time was a client state/dictatorship of the USSR and the USSR, at the time, was the sponsor of nearly all "anticolonialist/leftist" terrorism. Djibouti was basically capable of controlling all entries and exits from the Red Sea (Aden being on the other side and at the time part of the People's Republic of South Yemen, you can see where this is going) . There is little doubt (though no published proof that I know of) that getting the French out of Djibouti and into the hands of the Soviet's pet local dictator would have been an enormous geopolitical coup. The reports of Russians (KGB or GRU) at the Somali border post may have never been officially confirmed but they are quite believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    A little background: Somalia at that time was a client state/dictatorship of the USSR and the USSR, at the time, was the sponsor of nearly all "anticolonialist/leftist" terrorism. Djibouti was basically capable of controlling all entries and exits from the Red Sea (Aden being on the other side and at the time part of the People's Republic of South Yemen, you can see where this is going) . There is little doubt (though no published proof that I know of) that getting the French out of Djibouti and into the hands of the Soviet's pet local dictator would have been an enormous geopolitical coup. The reports of Russians (KGB or GRU) at the Somali border post may have never been officially confirmed but they are quite believable.
    Actually, it was the People's Democratic Republic of Yemen, referred to by some of us as the "P-Dry." It inspired one of history's great lines: A British diplomat, observing the ships departing Aden harbor carrying evacuating foreigners, noted that it was the first time he'd ever seen ships leaving a sinking rat. Probably not the last time, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    Actually, it was the People's Democratic Republic of Yemen, referred to by some of us as the "P-Dry." It inspired one of history's great lines: A British diplomat, observing the ships departing Aden harbor carrying evacuating foreigners, noted that it was the first time he'd ever seen ships leaving a sinking rat. Probably not the last time, though.
    Good catch and great quote :-)

User Tag List