Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Movie With Prominent Roles For TRUE Combat Revolvers

2019 Movie With Prominent Roles For TRUE Combat Revolvers

I just stumbled upon this trailer, then proceeded to buy the movie through iTunes. While watching, I wondered whether these guys were GIGN, but for whatever reason the script did not want to use “GIGN.” Well, at the end, it became apparent that they were pre-GIGN, and that their unit later became the GIGN.

OOPS! Wrong link. Give me a moment...

OK, trying again:

Edited to add: I remember when this original incident occurred, and also remember reading a quite good narrative of it, later, but cannot recall whether I read a book, or a very good, in-depth article. That was the day when one could still buy truly informative magazines.

Last edited by Rex G; 11-29-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I just stumbled upon this trailer, then proceeded to buy the movie through iTunes. While watching, I wondered whether these guys were GIGN, but for whatever reason the script did not want to use “GIGN.” Well, at the end, it became apparent that they were pre-GIGN, and that their unit later became the GIGN.

OK, trying again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1vJnLn37g

Edited to add: I remember when this original incident occurred, and also remember reading a quite good narrative of it, later, but cannot recall whether I read a book, or a very good, in-depth article. That was the day when one could still buy truly informative magazines.

They would be GIGN, since the unit existed already at the time. I don't know why the preview doesn't say it. I don't know if this was the first time this sort of coordinated simultaneous sniper fire was used but it was the most well known. Also, they were supported by a number of soldiers from the Foreign Legion as the 13th DBLE (Demi Brigade de la Legion Etrangere) was stationed in Djibouti at the time; the soldier's job was to take care of the Somali troops in case it all went pear shape -I think they had a certain amount of machine guns aimed at the border post.

Looks worth watching :-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Uh..I didn't see a single revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Uh..I didn't see a single revolver.

One may have to see the movie, to see the revolvers being used.

Edited to add: The revolvers are visible, on their belts, for a brief moment, in the trailer.
    Last edited by Rex G; 11-29-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    They would be GIGN, since the unit existed already at the time. I don't know why the preview doesn't say it. I don't know if this was the first time this sort of coordinated simultaneous sniper fire was used but it was the most well known. Also, they were supported by a number of soldiers from the Foreign Legion as the 13th DBLE (Demi Brigade de la Legion Etrangere) was stationed in Djibouti at the time; the soldier's job was to take care of the Somali troops in case it all went pear shape -I think they had a certain amount of machine guns aimed at the border post.

Looks worth watching :-)
    I have not fact-checked the movie, and am certainly not saying it is truly and totally faithful to history. The actions of the Foreign Legion soldiers may not have been portrayed accurately. (Keep in mind, it has been decades since I read about this incident, or very much about the GIGN.) The only mention of “GIGN” was in the printed narrative, shown in the end credits portion, which, IIRC, indicated that this team later became known as the GIGN.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I have not fact-checked the movie, and am certainly not saying it is truly and totally faithful to history. The actions of the Foreign Legion soldiers may not have been portrayed accurately. (Keep in mind, it has been decades since I read about this incident, or very much about the GIGN.) The only mention of “GIGN” was in the printed narrative, shown in the end credits portion, which, IIRC, indicated that this team later became known as the GIGN.
    It's a movie so one shouldn't expect too much historical accuracy :-)

I didn't notice the legionaries in the trailer and I'm going by what I read about the operation a few decades ago too.

From a fast look at wikipedia, GIGN was formed in 73 after the Munich massacre, which means it would be only a couple of years old at the time of this operation and thus one could say it's realistic for commanders to talk about this "new unit", as one did in the trailer.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

OK, trying again:

I wanna say I read an article about this op in a Soldier of Fortune magazine years ago. I know I read about it, just can’t remember for sure.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

How do you pronounce GIGN?

Im ashamed to admit everytime I see it I picture the guy from American Dad saying "giggity".

Site Supporter

OK, trying again:

The YT channel 9 hole Reviews did a detailed breakdown of this incident in the latter half of their FR-F1 sniper rifle video. They use video clips from the film. You will see the revolvers and see them in use.

GIGN was a new and untested unit at this time. This incident was were GIGN "made" their initial reputation. The French military looked down on them at the time because they were "mere policemen."

Last edited by HCM; 11-29-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    How do you pronounce GIGN?

Im ashamed to admit everytime I see it I picture the guy from American Dad saying "giggity".
    You pronounce each letter.

I've heard some French people sometimes refer to it as "jijene" but mostly they pronounce each letter, I found.

User Tag List