Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Woke culture" and Use of Force decisions (Thread culled from UoF)

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I think we'll lose fewer officers than some folks imagine, because fewer officers will be willing to put themselves at risk of getting into deadly force confrontation. As I mentioned in the previous post, I've seen instances of officers giving up even the idea of containment of a dangerous subject. That subject is then allowed to endanger bystanders. This is becoming rhe new normal in some jurisdictions, and folks seem blissfully unaware of rhe cost, even when additional innocents are harmed. Officers are then praised for their restraint.....see where I'm going?

I think we'll know pretty well how many cops we lose to hesitation, because it will be on camera. The bigger cost will be to the victims of crime who will face deteriorating public safety as a result of Law Enforcement retreat...both figuratively and literally. Look at the skyrocketing murder and violent crime rates in cities nationwide. That isn't all due to "corona stress".....its mostly the retreat of LE in those communities. We'll be back to 80's and 90's levels of crime pretty quickly i think.....but without the resolve within LE to do anything about it. Where we go after that....who knows?
    Good points, @AMC. I think my view was skewed by my considering incidents from the standpoint of those who are still willing to step into the fray when called upon. I'm showing my age and outdated point of view.

Your posts are always informative, but recently have been even more so.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Officers are then praised for their restraint.....
    When I read that the first thought that popped into my head was medals will be given for restraint.
    I assume cops get medals or ribbons like military.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    When I read that the first thought that popped into my head was medals will be given for restraint.
    I assume cops get medals or ribbons like military.
    Our department does indeed give "De-escalation Awards".

The bigger cost will be to the victims of crime who will face deteriorating public safety as a result of Law Enforcement retreat...both figuratively and literally. Look at the skyrocketing murder and violent crime rates in cities nationwide. That isn't all due to "corona stress".....its mostly the retreat of LE in those communities. We'll be back to 80's and 90's levels of crime pretty quickly i think.....but without the resolve within LE to do anything about it. Where we go after that....who knows?
    I suspect that the recent article noting a 537 percent increase in carjackings in the twin cities is a sign of the start you note. The finish line is when enough non-local actors take up residence in the defunded areas to expand their practices. That’ll get sporty.

I think we'll lose fewer officers than some folks imagine, because fewer officers will be willing to put themselves at risk of getting into deadly force confrontation. As I mentioned in the previous post, I've seen instances of officers giving up even the idea of containment of a dangerous subject. That subject is then allowed to endanger bystanders. This is becoming rhe new normal in some jurisdictions, and folks seem blissfully unaware of rhe cost, even when additional innocents are harmed. Officers are then praised for their restraint.....see where I'm going?

I think we'll know pretty well how many cops we lose to hesitation, because it will be on camera. The bigger cost will be to the victims of crime who will face deteriorating public safety as a result of Law Enforcement retreat...both figuratively and literally. Look at the skyrocketing murder and violent crime rates in cities nationwide. That isn't all due to "corona stress".....its mostly the retreat of LE in those communities. We'll be back to 80's and 90's levels of crime pretty quickly i think.....but without the resolve within LE to do anything about it. Where we go after that....who knows?
    I think that you are right.

Attrition might be slower, but replacing those personnel is going to be even more problematic than ever. One of my former professional colleagues, now responsible for recruiting for a large metro PD (of 1,000+) a bit south of me states that civil exams which netted upwards of 3,000 applicants per event in the last several years now average less than 400 applicants these days. That's troubling to say the least.

Obviously, those with the desire to serve still exist. Now they're pursuing other options less likely to result in their being thrown to the wolves even if they act in the justifiable defense of themselves or others.

As for the ''new normal'' you mention, we're already seeing an increase in high-priority service call response times that matches the last 'blue flu' the local PD had.

Can't say that I blame them either what with the tea leaves reading like they do and I do not see this improving anytime soon.

I hope that we are not about to see and experience why the Second Amendment is so important.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post

I hope that we are not about to see and experience why the Second Amendment is so important.
    Not to get too far off topic, but I mentioned in another thread that the county I live in has triple the murders ytd of Seattle or Minneapolis, but carjackings here are pretty rare occurances. I believe that is due to our higher percentage of armed citizens, though I have no actual evidence to back that hunch up.

There has been a growing trend of rolling gunfights or just shootings between two moving vehicles in the last 5 years.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List