Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Donating your Organ.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Jokes aside, this could be a significant advancement for reconstructive surgery. I've seen vets with traumatic genital injuries that are completely soul crushing to them. I hope it works.
    I don't presume this is going to be a functional transplant, denervation and all.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I don't presume this is going to be a functional transplant, denervation and all.
    True that. However I see a reasonable number of patients who have penis pumps. Not quite sure how well that works. I better ask my urologist friends with the preface that this is a totally educational and not personal question. My patients with breast reconstructive surgery say it doesn't quite feel normal but at least they feel whole.

I wonder if the donor knew his penis would be assigned to a transgender person? I selected organ donor on my license and wouldn't care who got replacement organs from me, but I would not want my body used to enable someone else's (what I consider) mutilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    True that. However I see a reasonable number of patients who have penis pumps.
    I hope we meet some day and I hope I remember to tell you the story about a penile pump patient I had helped. I typed it up but then decided against posting in a public view.

I have to say--if what somebody else is doing isn't bothering me, then I fully support them doing whatever is going to let them live a happier life. That's a discussion they can have with their doctors, and I really shouldn't have any part of it. I want people to respect my choice to own firearms and be a shooter. And I also understand that I wouldn't like it if everyone else got to decide things about my identity, so...yeah. Good for them. I hope they find what they're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    I have to say--if what somebody else is doing isn't bothering me, then I fully support them doing whatever is going to let them live a happier life. That's a discussion they can have with their doctors, and I really shouldn't have any part of it. I want people to respect my choice to own firearms and be a shooter. And I also understand that I wouldn't like it if everyone else got to decide things about my identity, so...yeah. Good for them. I hope they find what they're looking for.
    Yeah but she's he's clearly compensating for something.

(I bet a sports car or big SUV would have been cheaper.)

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I hope we meet some day and I hope I remember to tell you the story about a penile pump patient I had helped. I typed it up but then decided against posting in a public view.
    C’mon, you can’t leave us dangling like that...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    About $50,000 of cardiac procedures after an old dude decided to get a penis pump. Heart problems were found during preoperative testing. First in history case when penis pump saved its owner's life, so to speak.

More serious part of a discussion is that of a healthcare utilization. The guy was an octogenarian and sedentary enough that severe heart issues were asymptomatic. I remember that case so well not only because how unusual it was but also because it was about 2 weeks before my 50th. I went back to the motherland to celebrate with old friends and family and all friends are my med school mates. They asked about my work and I told them about that case. I then reflected on that I don't know any place in the world where public healthcare would cover a penile implant bill for an 80+ yo, and sedentary old people don't necessarily get to ask for someone to come and literally put a drill in their heart so their show can go on.

Yet another case where public healthcare wouldn’t rise to the occasion.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List