Thread: Swampfox Justice II - SRO/507Comp competitor

Swampfox Justice II - SRO/507Comp competitor

Name:  IMG_3611.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  26.9 KB

6MOA red or green or multi reticle red. $259-299 retail.

https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/justice-ii-1x30-red-dot
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I’m about to buy one and check it out.

The other Swampfox stuff I’ve played with has impressed me.

Are there any reports on this one in use for competition?
    Bob
    9MM: 92 Elite LTT, CenTac
    .45 ACP: Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, Springfield, Colt
    Confederate Civil War reproductions: 1863 Richmond rifle, Spiller and Burr revolver

Site Supporter
    Mine is supposed be here Friday, hopefully in time to mount it before Sat/Sun match. If not, I'll be using it in the TPC class next weekend.

Be sure to sign up with their veteran/other offer, price becomes even better.

Been using a Holosun 407CO X2 with a .91 x .63 window, 8 MOA circle.

The Justice II has a 1.10 x .91 window. Chose a 6 MOA red dot.

For comparison:

SRO has a .98 x .89 window.
    Holosun 507 Comp has a 1.10 x .87 Window
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Appropriate for EDC

While I know a couple of ppl who have the 1st gen Swampfoxes on their EDCs, I'm considering THIS one for a Canik Mete SFT Pro, which will be my OWB/EDC weapon. I LOVE the bigger than SRO window for the WAY smaller than SRO price. However, since I can ONLY open carry due to having an ostomy, should I be concerned about rain maybe diffusing my dot? One of the folks from Swampfox on Reddit said that the emitter is further back in the optic housing itself & therefore water isn't likely to be an issue, but dirt, dust & lint may be. Since I always have the microfiber bag my Oakleys are stored in with me, I can clean this thing at will.

But I just wanted y'all's opinions. I'm new to the forum & interested to hear what y'all think.

I bought one of the 6 MOA red dot models for $215 shipped from Egoods365 and I'll share my first impressions as some random nobody.

First, the good stuff. The big window is very nice, and the 6 MOA dot is nice and crisp to my (corrected) eyes and works well with my astigmatism without correction. The brightness settings have good spacing, and it gets more than bright enough to use in the Arizona sunlight. Battery changes are easy, and it comes with tools for everything and multiple sets of screws for every thread pattern for your slides/plates, and with loctite already applied. The buttons are nice and positive, easy enough to push unlike my stupid RMR buttons, but recessed enough to not worry about accidental activation. I didn't notice any double dot issues out in the sunlight although there was a tiny bit of reflection/glare off the emitter, but that wasn't an issue at all. Just a slight red something around the edge of the glass, and not distracting at all.

The meh stuff is that the elevation and windage adjustments aren't really tactile or positive, but not so closely spaced together or completely unnoticeable as to wildly overshoot zeroing adjustments. It also gets dirty being right above the ejection port. Clean often or just shoot occluded.

Now, the not so great stuff. The lens has noticeable distortion/magnification to the point of being a problem. It's not as bad as an RMR obviously, but because the distortion is across the entirety of the big window, including the center, it's very distracting. I've noticed it's much harder to target focus with this than my Holosun EPS Carry, which has a smaller window and less distortion, and certain left-to-right transitions in dryfire become very difficult to me as a right eye dominant shooter as the distorted window crosses my left eye vision. This was mostly in dryfire with simulated distance targets at room distance (7-10 feet) with indoor lighting. I did do some dryfire outside in the sunlight and some dryfire at an indoor range with full size targets at real distances and it was a little less of a problem, so maybe it's a me issue or could be overcome with more target focus discipline, but it will always be a distraction to overcome, I think. I don't know how this compares to SROs or similar big window optics, so maybe they have the same issue. You could also use it occluded like many do with SROs, etc., and that makes it perfectly usable.

Also, one niche issue: NOD usage. The glass is noticeably dark under NODs and it doesn't get dim enough for actually dark conditions. It works fine in high light environments I suppose. They don't advertise NV usage or NV settings at all, so I won't hold it against them.

Here's a comparison with my RMR off the gun, but not completely accurate given the angle:

User Tag List