Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot screw part numbers and ordering info

I got my slide back from my gunsmith today and he was able to successfully remove the sheared screw. He said due to the McMaster hardware being heat treated it was pretty difficult to extract. I asked him to chase all of the threads and now the hardware threads smoothly and easily, no hint of resistance.

I'm probably going to take my second gun to the gunsmith and have him chase those threads as well. I see a big advantage using the McMaster hardware due to the added length and torx head so I'm glad to get this sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Received another McMaster-Carr order on Friday. I ordered some of the 6-32 x 5/16" (Holosun - MOS) alloy steel screws and tested them on an MOS plate. The 5/16" screws flushed up perfectly to the bottom of the MOS plate - maximum thread engagement without any protrusion through the bottom. I'm happy with that.

I also ordered M3-0.5 x 10mm alloy steel screws (part # 94414A714) for my Sig P365XL and Holosun 507K. I wasn't sure since I was going by the Romeo Zero instructions which don't list screw length, but 10mm matched the length of the screws that came with the Holosun perfectly. I test fit and (re)mounted the 507K with the new screws.

I'm (based on Caballoflaco's excellent post above) revising my mounting procedure to include pre-fitting the screws without threadlocker to ensure they fit correctly. Therefore, my new steps are:

1. Make sure pistol is empty
    2. Field strip
    3. Prepare all surfaces (slide, plates, screws, threads) by de-greasing.
    4. Test-fit screws in threads to ensure proper fit.
    5. Apply threadlocker to screws (preferably Loctite 248)
    6. Thread the screws until resistance is felt and then alternate slight increases in torque for each screw using a torque wrench to the lowest torque specification of any of the interacting components.
    7. Place indicator marks on the screws/plate or screws/optic with a toothpick to make it easier to identify a loose screw.

After a near disaster yesterday and a couple weeks ago with a paint-pen, I will no longer apply the paint directly from the pen. I'll use a toothpick now just like I do with Torque-Seal. I apply the paint to one of the alcohol prep-pad wrappers that I've used and then use the toothpick. I'd be tempted to just get a couple small jars of Testers paint, but having to stir them may be more of a pain compared to shaking the paint pen.
    I have a 365XL on the way and will move one of my Holosun 407K’s over to it.
    How have the screws you ordered held up?
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by md8232 View Post
    I have a 365XL on the way and will move one of my Holosun 407K’s over to it.
    How have the screws you ordered held up?
    I haven't shot the P365XL very much. In fact, a couple weeks ago I shot it for the first time since mounting the optic. I probably have around 200 rounds through it with no issues. Sorry I can't give you more difinitive information but I'm confident in them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

McMaster screw ordering

Sorry if this has been gone over before, but for the dumb guy in the room, I want to order replacement screws from McMaster.
    What sizes do I need?
    Glock 19 Gen 5 with CH plate, Holosun 507C
    -Plate to gun screw size/part#?
    -Holosun to plate size/part#?
    Glock 17 gen5 with Leupold DPP pro MOS plate
    -MOS plate to gun size/part#?
    -Leupold DDP to plate size/part#?

Thanks to all, still learning ref MRDS and trying to build up my spare parts bin.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    Sorry if this has been gone over before, but for the dumb guy in the room, I want to order replacement screws from McMaster.
    What sizes do I need?
    Glock 19 Gen 5 with CH plate, Holosun 507C
    -Plate to gun screw size/part#?
    -Holosun to plate size/part#?
    Glock 17 gen5 with Leupold DPP pro MOS plate
    -MOS plate to gun size/part#?
    -Leupold DDP to plate size/part#?

Thanks to all, still learning ref MRDS and trying to build up my spare parts bin.

Steve
    For the G19 with the C&H plate, you’ll be using non-standard screws - 4-40 if I remember correctly for optic -plate, and I may be wrong. I haven’t gone down that rabbit hole yet, but based on feedback I’ve received from several other departments coupled with my own experience I think I might look at some stronger fasteners. 10 in/lbs is on the low end for a lot of torque wrenches (where they are not as accurate) but I have had some failures of the screws as have others. That’s not cool at such a low torque. I’m not sure what the plate-slide screws are other than they are metric M3 - I’d have to go back to my paperwork to give more details.

Your G17 should be using the supplied screws from Leupold if I am correct (I don’t own a DPP any more, so grain of salt and all). I haven’t found a fastener that is comparable to the dimensions supplied by Leupold, and with a very small sample size (most of the DPPs we’ve used until recently have been direct milled, which is way different than the factory options) I wouldn’t go any more than 15 in/lbs (Glock MOS spec is 13.3) on those screws. I have the MOS plate screw specs, but not with me and I don’t want to trust my memory. I’ll post that when I confirm it.

Similar to what I said in another post... there’s still a lot of learning to happen with this stuff. Sorry I don’t have good answers for you, but, as you mentioned in your post, we’re all kinda the dumb (newbies) in the room.

SoCalDep,

Thanks for there response. I have x2 complete set of screws from CHPWS on order now, along with a cpl extra screws for the Delta point pro,
    those along with the Duracell 1632s and 2032s I ordered should be good for a "in case something breaks scenario".
    This thread is extremely helpful in allowing people to read what actually works and doesn't work for others.

W/R
    Steve

Any chance we could make this thread a "sticky"?

FYI the McMaster 6-32 5/16 alloy steel screws don’t fit flush with a Holosun 507c. The head has the proper angle but sits proud of the countersink as it doesn’t have as sharp a head edge as the stock screw. It’s been tough finding a torx head alloy steel screw that fits.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spelingmastir View Post
    FYI the McMaster 6-32 5/16 alloy steel screws don’t fit flush with a Holosun 507c. The head has the proper angle but sits proud of the countersink as it doesn’t have as sharp a head edge as the stock screw. It’s been tough finding a torx head alloy steel screw that fits.
    Yup,
    I can confirm this, I've got a box, actually 2
    I questioned McMaster when the head didn't fit,
    They promptly sent another box....NFG.
    I've been in touch with Primary machine who milled
    two of my guns for 507Cs, Bruce was no help, told me
    to contact Holosun to see what the sent with the sight???
    That's what they used ??? (thanks)
    Holosun was consumer friendly, confirmed 6-32 and
    stated they send 2 lengths.
    I still haven't had any luck matching them up, in the next month or so it's time to change the battery in a bottom
    battery 507C, any updated info would be much appreciated!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    Yup,
    I can confirm this, I've got a box, actually 2
    I questioned McMaster when the head didn't fit,
    They promptly sent another box....NFG.
    I've been in touch with Primary machine who milled
    two of my guns for 507Cs, Bruce was no help, told me
    to contact Holosun to see what the sent with the sight???
    That's what they used ??? (thanks)
    Holosun was consumer friendly, confirmed 6-32 and
    stated they send 2 lengths.
    I still haven't had any luck matching them up, in the next month or so it's time to change the battery in a bottom
    battery 507C, any updated info would be much appreciated!
    i spoke w Holosun and they said the screw is 6-32 x 7.5mm, slightly shorter than 5/16 (this is the shorter proprietary screw with a narrow head). They’re in the process of making them available for order on their website. I was able to buy a bag of 50 for $17.50. They had to go with the narrower head to make room for the electronics in the newer versions of their sights. Holosun has excellent customer service, offering to send extra screws free, just need a pic of the sight’s serial no., but I needed a larger qty. I spoke with kelviny@holosun.com through their customer service contact.

User Tag List