Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xmas Present to Myself-MGW Sight Tool?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I just noticed that the tool in the original post is for angled sights only. So, if you select sights with vertical sides, you will have to buy a new tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FWIW, the angled version works pretty well with straight sided sights too. Decent enough that I never saw any need to own the flat sided model.

@vdcgrips, you’re welcome to borrow mine if you want.

MGW tools are excellent.

I have the Rangemaster, the Sight Pro, and a Glock model with the 42/43 adapter. I found a website that was closing out shoe plates and bought a bunch of different models.

Some of the local FFLs send folks my way to adjust/replace sights. The dedicated Glock tool has seen a lot of work.

Some of the best cash I’ve ever spent.

The MGW tools are excellent, I previously used one and they work fantastically well.

I currently am using this $43 pusher below.

In all honesty, I bought it before realizing it was a Chinese knock off of an American product. I’m not 100% sure about that.

Anyway, for simple Glock rear dovetail mounted sights, it works well. The pusher thread pitch (16 tpi?) is coarser than MGW (24 tpi maybe?). It doesn’t have the MGW slide ‘grabber’ attachment for Glock slides. Setting it up requires some fiddling and packing it with cut-up credit cards. You convert it from the removal side to the install side of the push block by removing a set screw, sliding the push rod, then reversing the push block, then putting it back together.

Despite all that, it is strong and true and works/has worked on both standard and narrow frame Glock rear sights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9P7HYR..._Qk9WFbRVNP9NV

Name:  D95A17C1-7267-4282-AB60-7D194F7828F7.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  25.4 KB

MGW Sight Pro is something I don't know how I did without before. I actually just ordered another shoe to adjust my 1911 sight.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

The Sight Pro is one of those items you hate paying for. Afterwards, you never regret it.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    The MGW tools are excellent, I previously used one and they work fantastically well.

And as its current owner, I am indebted to @RJ for the great deal he gave me, even though I don't figure to use it very often.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I originally posted this in the Life Hacks thread, but I thought the folks in this thread might be interested as well.

I've been swapping carry guns like crazy this year and have been always messing with the sights to dial them in for how I shoot. Since I have CRS syndrome ( * ), I can never remember the formula for how much rear sight movement ends up shifting groups at the target.

So being kind of a math nerd, I knocked up a quick calculator to take my observations at the range and help me determine how much I have to push the sight. But I also wanted it to calculate how much of a turn of the threaded rod on my tool, would equate to that amount, since I have no way of accurately measuring really how much the rear sight actually moves in the dovetail. This way, I can assemble the tool on my slide, snug up the piusher block up onto the sight, turn the handle the predicted amount, and be pretty much spot on from then onwards.

I decided to do put this all a shared Google Sheets spreadsheet.

It's the first time I've worked with Google Sheets. If you click the link, hopefully you'll see a spreadsheet. You basically enter four pieces of data, and it will calculate both the rear sight movement, as well as how much fo a turn you need to make on the sight tool. The sheet is protected from edit, except for these four values. The sheet is "live", in that anybody with the link can get to it to use the tool.

The 4 pieces of data you need to enter (GREEN cells) are:

What Range you are observing your target groups (I have been using 7 yards)

Your pistol sight radius (I've been shooting my Glock 48, at 5.63")

How much you want to "move" your target groups, to get them back to center. (in my case, I was seeing about 1 1/4" to the right, so I wanted to move them 1.25" to the left).

If you use a sight tool, you also need to enter the threads per inch of the threaded rod. (in my example, I was moving the rear sight 0.028", or about 45% of a turn of my 16 thread per inch rod on my sight tool).

Link to the Windage Tool

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Here's a "snapshot" of the what you should see in the spreadsheet, in PDF form: Sight_Deflection_Calculator_2020.pdf

Since I was at it, I also did one to help me calculate Front Sight Height changes needed, to adjust for observed elevations at the target:

Link to the Elevation Tool

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

This one works pretty much the same way; enter the range, sight radius, how much you are "off" by up or down, and also your current front sight height. It will calculate the delta needed to "zero" for elevation, and a new sight height for you to buy.

* CRS = Can't remember ****

User Tag List