Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modlite Pistol Mounted Body

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    P&S did a light comparison that included both the x300 and the OKW, as I recall the OKW there a focused beam further and did better with photonic barriers. How much barrier penetration you need vs how much run time you need is just going to depend.

Also, the PLH V2 is probably a better comparison to the x300. That’s something like 1350 lumens and 54,000 candela. Same run time though.
    The same P&S that was shouting about #allthelumens and #science?

I personally don't see too much point in the OKW on a pistol light for most folks; the PLH v2 is what I put on my rifles to begin with, but could certainly be of use with its compromise flood/throw specs. Yes, you can umbrella and bounce and all that shit with the OKW, but meh, why not just go for some floodier stuff on a pistol to begin with?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The same P&S that was shouting about #allthelumens and #science?

I personally don't see too much point in the OKW on a pistol light for most folks; the PLH v2 is what I put on my rifles to begin with, but could certainly be of use with its compromise flood/throw specs. Yes, you can umbrella and bounce and all that shit with the OKW, but meh, why not just go for some floodier stuff on a pistol to begin with?
    The very same. I think #allthecandela or #allthePID may be more accurate though.

I definitely agree, I see the OKW as more of a carbine light. The PLH v2 seems like a better general use pistol/handheld light for sure. If the original PLH still has a niche it’s seems like it would be on a dedicated house gun, a shotgun or HD pistol/carbine maybe?

The very same. I think #allthecandela or #allthePID may be more accurate though.
    If you did #allthecandela, you would be using a laser.

I definitely agree, I see the OKW as more of a carbine light. The PLH v2 seems like a better general use pistol/handheld light for sure. If the original PLH still has a niche it’s seems like it would be on a dedicated house gun, a shotgun or HD pistol/carbine maybe?
    Eh, the PLHv1 is still perfectly viable for carbines, IMO; it's still got way more throw than an M600DF, and a bit more than an HL-X while pushing more lumens. It may no longer be the best compromise/jack-of-all-trades pick, but it's hardly relegated to just super short range niches. My M600DFs are on my PCC and shotgun, but I still got PLHv1s on my carbines that haven't gotten upgraded to v2s, and I'm in no real hurry to do so, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The X300Us are at 11300 candela. Just remember that the 18350 bodies only have about a 30 minute run-time with the heads, versus the 1.25 hours that SureFire claims for their X300U.
    Yes but I think Surefire’s runtime is non-regulated and based on their definition of tactical illumination which means until lumen output drops below 50... unless things have changed. Not sure what the Modlite definition of runtime is or whether the light is regulated.

Site Supporter
    Honestly, 18650 and 18350 batteries are relatively cheap, especially compared to cr123a's. Hot swappable, high energy density, rechargeable batteries are amazing. A single 18650 has 50% more charge than 2x CR123A's, and you can drive the 18X50 batteries way harder than 123a's.

For a training class perspective, you'd probably show up with a bundle of batteries anyway. Your cost would be comparable, and if you have the ability to charge a phone (portable battery pack, wall outlet, car), you have the ability to charge the batteries for this anyway.

Without going and looking that seems weird to me. Primary batteries have way way way more energy density than secondaries. Secondaries have more power and can be recharged, but can’t touch LMO....

Ok, damn it, I looked. Regular Panasonic CR123As are 275 Wh/kg. That’s a bit better than the state of the art for NMC (260).
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Without going and looking that seems weird to me. Primary batteries have way way way more energy density than secondaries. Secondaries have more power and can be recharged, but can’t touch LMO....

Ok, damn it, I looked. Regular Panasonic CR123As are 275 Wh/kg. That’s a bit better than the state of the art for NMC (260).
    I'm not the smartest guy, and I know it's way outside of my lane. I stumbled across a podcast with a bunch of flashlight designers on it, and some stuff stuck - including running CR123A's in lithium ion designed batteries possibly turning the batteries into a small grenade in your hand. Both Cloud Defensive lights I have came with a warning sticker about using anything other than 18650's in them as well.

This is one of the batteries included with my OWL :

The Panasonic-Sanyo GA is a good high-capacity cell when you need up to 10 amps of maximum continuous discharge current. It has a high energy density - 693 Wh/l volumetric and 224 Wh/kg gravimetric.

https://batterybro.com/products/pana...ga-3450mah-10a

Call me crazy, but I like 123’s. The strongest light I own is a M600DF and I use the 123 instead of the rechargeable. While it’ll cost me four bucks, I like being able to be at full power in seconds, by swapping out the batts. Also, part of the reason for my move to the Eotech this past year, was to consolidate batteries. Now my rifle optic, rifle light, and pistol light all use the same battery. It certainly makes battery management in my pack easier

Unless things have changed.....rechargeable batteries are more fragile (meaning can fail when dropped) and tend to not taper off....instant dark ie. no warning.

123a's in a high draw appliance (rechargeable can be sucked out faster thus much higher outputs with much less run times) are a no no. If the light is designed to draw at 123a discharge rates then 18650's will generally last longer than primarys.

Modlite outputs are likely fine for short bursts however I am curious as to reliability (think head melt) from the heat if used for longer periods (1300+ lumen head).

Yes, we are working on molds for them. Owner of Modlite is a longtime friend of mine, really good dude!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

User Tag List