Thread: Anyone Wrap a Holster with Gearskin?

Anyone Wrap a Holster with Gearskin?

The title pretty much says it all. Has anyone used Gear Skin or a similar product to wrap a holster?

https://gearskin.eu/

If so, got any pointers? Who much material is wasted and how well does it adhere after application?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I got a custom Kydex holster wrapped with synthetic suede several years back. I really liked it, as I already a fan of Brooks AGrip on my Glock grips. The main value is making Kydex less slick - lowering the slippery nature and making a fumble less likely.

Since then, I have wrapped a few home brew Kydex holsters in synthetic suede, but I have Chinese camo print stretch fabric that is similar to Gearskin waiting for a test project on my bench. Just have not got around to the actual use yet...

I might practice on an old P2000 holster. I may cut up a pair of uniform pants to use for wrap material.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The title pretty much says it all. Has anyone used Gear Skin or a similar product to wrap a holster?
    Good question. I've had a link to a Gear Skin product page in my "stuff to do something about, soonish" folder of bookmarks since, err... Last summer? Or was it spring? It's been there for quite a while, at any rate. Since I've been on the "revolvers, by Gods!" phase of P-F approved gun nerdery I kind of forgot about the whole thing. Anyhoo, my point is that I looked at the web page and saw that they were advertising a pre-order for multicam gear wraps. Just a FYI, but they were advertising the same back whenever it was that I found the website the first time. So if you do buy the multicam wrap, be prepared for a bit of a wait... Looks like that pre-order hasn't progressed into a physical product in these six or nine or however many months since I last looked at the website.
    Last edited by That Guy; 12-01-2020 at 01:28 AM. Reason: How come I always only see the typo *after* submitting the post?

I've been waiting on the GearSkin MultiCam restock for a couple of months now, as a replacement for the now discontinued MultiCam ProTape (still got half a roll left). As for holster wrapping, I've used 3M/Scotch Super 77 combined with 500D MultiCam. Cut the edges with a hot knife, and seal any edge areas with Loctite Super Glue. Can touch up as needed with Super Glue. Haven't had an issue with the two holsters I've wrapped.

I tried my hand at wrapping a Blackhawk T-Series using 3M 77 spray glue and a piece of old rough duty uniform.

It looks okay but I should have wrapped more of the back side of the holster. I probably should have at least tried to overlap at least a part of the fabric on the back. What I might do to sort of protect the exposed edges on the back is cut some material and glue it to the open area below the belt shank. I might cut a small sliver and fit it near the screw on the front of the holster.

Live and learn. I'd do a few things differently, that's for sure.

Last edited by Tokarev; 12-02-2020 at 07:01 AM.

User Tag List