Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Place to Stay between Amarillo and Albuquerque

Site Supporter

RFI: Place to Stay between Amarillo and Albuquerque

I'm going to be making a run to Las Vegas in early December. The halfway point between home and LV is somewhere on I-40 between Amarillo and Albuquerque. I'll be hauling a U-Haul trailer in one direction, so I'm looking for somewhere reasonably secure. I'm looking for a town/exit recommendation rather than a motel recommendation, though motel recommendations will be appreciated too. Just looking for a place to overnight. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'm going to be making a run to Las Vegas in early December. The halfway point between home and LV is somewhere on I-40 between Amarillo and Albuquerque. I'll be hauling a U-Haul trailer in one direction, so I'm looking for somewhere reasonably secure. I'm looking for a town/exit recommendation rather than a motel recommendation, though motel recommendations will be appreciated too. Just looking for a place to overnight. Thanks!
    With Tom Jones is probably the most secure place in that neck of the woods.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Look at the Hampton Inn in Santa Rosa. Decent size parking lot for vehicles with trailer.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Look at the Hampton Inn in Santa Rosa. Decent size parking lot for vehicles with trailer.
    Yeah, agree. There is not a whole lot between ABQ and Amarillo 'cept a lotta lizards and tumbleweeds. We've done a couple runs in the Truck+Airstream on I40 across country. We did drive through Tucumcari and had lunch, IIRC, but it was a bit too "colorful" for us. Perhaps if you get a reliable place to stay; I just don't know.

But looking at the hotel options along the route, I'd opt for Santa Rosa as well. I think you'd have more to pick from.

Site Supporter
    I have done KC to Prescott for Gunsite, a memorial and a funeral. We always stayed in Tucumcari at a national chain hotel/motel.

Del's Restaurant is a great "old school" New Mexican restaurant worth the stop. The Chile Relleno there is a must have. I get it "Xmas style" with both Green and Red Chile on it.

https://www.delsrestaurant.com/
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I have been comfortable with security at the Fairfield in Tucumcari. I have stayed there three times in the last 12 months.
    Ignore Alien Orders

If you're car camping I'd stop at Lisa's truck stop in Moriarty, NM (i40 x 197). It is a major dive cosmetically, but felt safe and I'm a sucker for good cheap food.

I’ve driven from Arizona to Missouri several times. Amarillo was our midpoint. If I had to pick a spot between Amarillo and Albuquerque I’d listen to JAD and stay at the Fairfield in Tucumcari.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Last year my wife and I stayed at the Roadrunner Lodge Motel in Tucumcari. It was nice enough and you get free moon pies with your room. At least you did last year.

https://roadrunnerlodge.com/

I've stayed at the Drury Inn & Suites on the west end of Amarillo several times when traveling on I40. Very nice hotel, lots of restaurants within walking distance.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List