Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What are you hoping for a Black Friday sale on?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    For me, that bench is kid-size. The right working height is 41 inches. It's 33 1/4.

If you're close to or over 6 ft, definitely check it out in store before committing.

I've built a couple work benches out of 2x4s and plywood, held together with bolts, nuts and washers. The first one continues to hold up more than 20 years and six moves later. And it was cheap.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    For me, that bench is kid-size. The right working height is 41 inches. It's 33 1/4.

If you're close to or over 6 ft, definitely check it out in store before committing.

I've built a couple work benches out of 2x4s and plywood, held together with bolts, nuts and washers. The first one continues to hold up more than 20 years and six moves later. And it was cheap.
    Yeah, the height can be an issue. However, I hope my kids will be doing some projects with me, so a table about that height is what I'm building. I am 5'10", but my kids came out undercooked, and my wife is 5'1", so they will benefit from a lower working height. So even when they get older they aren't likely to be much over 5' tall.

The bench will also do double duty for me as a reloading bench, so I plan to get a chair, or stool, for when I'm spending an hour or so cranking out 9mm. Although that's a little ways off, as I don't yet have a press, and components are impossible to get right now.

In the end, the only reason I didn't get one of the HF tables, was I wanted a slightly larger workspace. The table I'm building will be 60" x29" on top, so I'll have about 30% more space. If anyone is wondering why 29", my design has a 19" space between the legs allowing me to rip the 29" piece for the top, and a 19" piece for a shelf, out of one sheet of plywood. Well, actually two, since I plan to put a double layer of 3/4" plywood on both. Again, assuming this actually works as planned, as its my own design, and its my first go around with it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Consider making the second layer melamine-coated particle board. It is resistant to oils, etc., so it's very easy to clean. Just Windex it and the grime comes off.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Consider making the second layer melamine-coated particle board. It is resistant to oils, etc., so it's very easy to clean. Just Windex it and the grime comes off.
    Thanks, that's a great idea.

I think someone mentioned being interested in a KitchenAid mixer...and I believe I had an email earlier (which I deleted, sorry), from amazon which indicated that one or more were on sale. So, give it a look if this applies to you. Sorry I don't have more.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I am hoping that something is still left to buy, on Cyber Monday, because I get paid on the Thirtieth, which is Monday.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    For anyone in need of a work bench this one from Harbor Freight is worth checking out:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-...nch-63395.html

I finally decided to build my own bench (and bought the supplies today), but this has been tempting me for a while. Normally it's $150, and the BF deal is $120. If they will let you use the 20% off coupon (you can just Google Harbor Freight 20% coupon to get the current one), you could.get it for just shy of $100.

If my bench build project doesn't turn out well I will regret missing out on this.
    I had one of these; the drawers never fit well in the tracks and were prone to literally drop out. The rest of the bench is pretty well made. I found the vise useless, but YMMV. It’s definitely a do-over at $100.

User Tag List