Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun 509T slide milling

Until I can get a direct mill slide I’m sticking with the 507C.
    Name:  67AA0544-0E2D-445E-B307-DC2D15521808.jpg
Views: 2778
Size:  38.8 KBName:  BDB6ECCC-A37B-43B8-9841-02E96ABD284A.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  18.0 KBName:  6AF24B71-8498-4329-AEAA-259397D1F55E.jpg
Views: 2413
Size:  104.6 KB

509T
    Name:  8F9533ED-592C-43E7-A4D5-D73E1CF33794.jpg
Views: 3116
Size:  52.5 KBName:  B06186B6-ED62-47C5-A284-334DFFE70E57.jpg
Views: 2010
Size:  31.4 KB

Is the 509t good enough to commit to milling a slide just for it? I am very tempted... but wondering if I should go with a Trijicon RMR RM06 or try and wait for the Holosun 508t x2 to come in stock at various retailers (though at that point, I'm buying basically the same optic for $50 less and getting an open emitter).

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    Is the 509t good enough to commit to milling a slide just for it? I am very tempted... but wondering if I should go with a Trijicon RMR RM06 or try and wait for the Holosun 508t x2 to come in stock at various retailers (though at that point, I'm buying basically the same optic for $50 less and getting an open emitter).
    That’s what I’m figuring out. I believe Aaron Cowen approved of it, IIRC. But won’t swear to that. I wasn’t willing to permanently alter the OEM slide at this point, which is why I got the aftermarket slide. If I decide that I like the 509 I’ll go with a dedicated milled slide.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I snagged one to try as an offset backup sight on a rifle, and I wasn't super impressed. It seemed to have a lot of magnification, even when compared to an RMR that has a little bit.

It also didn't have a great fit to the Arisaka mount that I had, which I suppose could have been the mount but based on the reports I've seen of poor tolerances on the Holosun optics I'm betting it was the optic itself.

I'd prefer a closed emitter if everything else is equal, but I haven't had any issues in real life with my open emitter optics. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but I think I'll wait for something not made in China.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I snagged one to try as an offset backup sight on a rifle, and I wasn't super impressed. It seemed to have a lot of magnification, even when compared to an RMR that has a little bit.

It also didn't have a great fit to the Arisaka mount that I had, which I suppose could have been the mount but based on the reports I've seen of poor tolerances on the Holosun optics I'm betting it was the optic itself.

I'd prefer a closed emitter if everything else is equal, but I haven't had any issues in real life with my open emitter optics. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but I think I'll wait for something not made in China.
    I just couldn't make the commitment to mill just for the 509t without seeing one in person so I decided to backorder the 508t and stick with RMR pattern cuts. Worst case scenario, I'll have some degree of future proofing since the mounting pattern is pretty standard.

Based on what jagerwerks has shown is possible with the 509t cuts in terms of depth,I think the future will be a 509t or acro style mounting interface that either has additional mounting capability for RMR pattern sights, or accept plates that mount like the 509t/acro sights do

Sent a G45 slide and 509T to jagerwerks today, they are telling folks 4-8 weeks turnaround right now, sucks but this 509T cut is a different animal and they got it dialed, anything else I would do locally.
    For what it's worth my impressions just taking it out of the box were that it's too big and blocky, and heavy, as in taller and wider and blockier than the sleek by comparison acro, and it's the first pistol optic I've touched that ever felt like it had some weight to it, others have been pretty much imperceptible. But I have to have this setup in my quiver anyway so we will see how the relationship goes compared to the rest of the lineup.
    I've steered clear of the acro until we see a gen2 or whatever they will call it with a different battery system and a more realistic lifespan, so until then the 509T will be my only closed emitter setup.

Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    Sent a G45 slide and 509T to jagerwerks today, they are telling folks 4-8 weeks turnaround right now, sucks but this 509T cut is a different animal and they got it dialed, anything else I would do locally.
    For what it's worth my impressions just taking it out of the box were that it's too big and blocky, and heavy, as in taller and wider and blockier than the sleek by comparison acro, and it's the first pistol optic I've touched that ever felt like it had some weight to it, others have been pretty much imperceptible. But I have to have this setup in my quiver anyway so we will see how the relationship goes compared to the rest of the lineup.
    I've steered clear of the acro until we see a gen2 or whatever they will call it with a different battery system and a more realistic lifespan, so until then the 509T will be my only closed emitter setup.
    Factory specs — the Acro is 2.1 ounces and the 509T is 1.72 ounces. The 509T has a larger display with less framing than the Acro, and the 509T carries significantly smaller than an Acro based on external footprint. I bet it grows on you.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    Please post pictures when you get it back. The only reason I didn’t keep the 509T was because I didn’t want to mill a slide specifically for that sight and it sits too high with a plate. I really liked it though and might end up buying a G45 non-MOS to have my local guy mill once he’s got his programming squared away. I have to say though I like the window of the 507C X2 better than the 509T.
    Name:  8D9B162F-40EA-40F9-B779-9A9BF00F9609.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  30.4 KB
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 12-18-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 23JAZ View Post
    Please post pictures when you get it back. The only reason I didn’t keep the 509T was because I didn’t want to mill a slide specifically for that sight and it sits too high with a plate. I really liked it though and might end up buying a G45 non-MOS to have my local guy mill once he’s got his programming squared away. I have to say though I like the window of the 507C X2 better than the 509T.
    Name:  8D9B162F-40EA-40F9-B779-9A9BF00F9609.jpg
Views: 1650
Size:  30.4 KB
    What's interesting is that the 509t with the low cut from Jagerwerks requires non-standard height sights for co-witness which helped push me away since only Dawson offered that height and I believe they were out of stock when I checked

Hearing the actual dimensions is interesting, hopefully it does grow on me cause I'm going to be living with it for a while regardless.

I've been running the gen1 508T on my main P10f for maybe a year and really like that window a lot, also been waiting for the X2 version for what seems like 6 months now.

This particular G45 slide has XS F8's on it so we will see how the height matches up with the 509, I run a low witness on everything so I expect they'll be tall enough.
    Last edited by CanineCombatives; 12-18-2020 at 06:07 PM.

User Tag List