Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How many different calibers of ARs do you have?

223AI
    224 Predator
    6.5 Grendel
    300BLK
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Hmmm.
    22LR
    9mm
    45acp
    224Valk
    6CM
    6.5CM
    300BO
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    5.56and 9mm.

I have a 6.8 upper that I can’t seem to give away. Upper, mags, and some ammo that I list on here from time to time but I guess it’s a “dead” caliber or there’s something wrong with my upper that I’m unaware of.
    I wish I had the funds for it. I've been trying to scrape up enough since you posted it for sale the last time. It hasn't been a good year for gun or ammo purchases on my tight budget.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    5.56and 9mm.

I have a 6.8 upper that I can’t seem to give away. Upper, mags, and some ammo that I list on here from time to time but I guess it’s a “dead” caliber or there’s something wrong with my upper that I’m unaware of.
    I think the 6.8 has a lot going for it, but it’s really a specialty caliber nowadays being that there isn’t any real military support or use, so hunting seems to be its most practical niche. Pretty much any well-made upper with reasonable loads should be effective on deer and like-sized animals to at least 300 yards. A lot of guys on the 68forum use it for deer, hogs, coyotes and other varmints, and a guy I know took a full-grown mountain lion at over 350 yards with one shot. Some have even used it for elk with similar success, so it is a capable round. .270 Short, you might call it.

I built my upper with a 16” ARP Recon barrel when my scrawny 13yo couldn’t hold up anything longer or heavier than an AR carbine, and it’s an accurate upper that he shot well, but he’s lost interest in hunting for now, and I never really cared too much about hunting with an AR, so it just sits in the back of the safe. Hence my own comment that I wouldn’t mind getting out of it myself.

Might have to drag it out and see what I can do with it.

Site Supporter
    A few 5.56 milspec/Colt builds and one Troy 308.

I'm strongly tempted by .300BO but the itch came way too late.

Just 5.56mm but I’d like to get a Sig Rattler in .300blk.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    22LR
    300BO

I have a single 5.56 rifle. And I'd like my next one to be 5.56 too, but more like my service rifle.

Honestly, most of my rifle knowledge comes from the service. I shot a fair amount of 5.56 and I feel comfortable with its bullet drop. Some of that is drastic overconfidence because I haven't had an AR out to any kind of distance in a few years. At the same time I'm not sure that learning a new caliber's normal flight and holdovers is really something I'm up for. I guess if I was going to get another caliber I'd just got for a .308 or something like that.

Of course if money was no option I'd have 2 more 5.56, a 300BO, and a 308.

One 5.56, but I'm holding my son's 6.5 Grendel while he's overseas. I've considered having the 5.56 rebuilt as a 300 BLK.

22lr
    6.5 Grendel

User Tag List