Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Google-free Gun Trivia Thread

The Google-free Gun Trivia Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Wrong from the start. It was the first REVOLVER cartridge dubbed magnum but there were magnum rifle rounds long before, the 1912 .375 H&H Belted Magnum being the best known.

Big wine bottle.
    Specifically champagne,

Doug Wesson was a bit of a playboy and wanted the new revolver to be biggest and best, like a magnum of champagne.

I was under the impression H&H originally dubbed it “super”,

The small bore originated as the .30 Super. Best I can tell, the .375 has always been a magnum.
    If not, how about the 1907 .425 Westley Richards Magnum or the 1870s .500-.450 Black Powder Magnum.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’ll throw up a toughy: What is the correct spelling of the last name of the famous designer behind bullets like the starfire and the hydra-shok?
    Couldn't spell it if my life depended on it and I could look it up. However, he is a friendly guy with whom I had a long discussion about ammo and bullets at SHOT many years ago.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    A cut down lever action rifle like the one that Steve McQueen used in the Bounty Hunter Wanted: Dead or Alive. I know that probably isn't correct but that's what I came up with.
    What was supposed to be the Mare's Leg caliber and what did it actually shoot?

Hint: what rounds were on Josh Randall's belt vs what he loaded the gun with?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

Yeah, wrong series name. I watched so many I lost track. Looks like a model 94 but no idea what it actually was. 30-30 would be my guess but there were other models and cartridges.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

.45 Colt and .45-70. The Colt cartridges didn't look impressive enough to the Director's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Shortly after the greatest battle implement ever devised went into service, it was found to have a serious shortcoming, requiring a change in design and retro-fitting of existing guns.

What was it?
    Man, I wanna say Gunny Basilone with the M1917, knowing it's not correct, but that story is just so damn badass.

Shortly after the greatest battle implement ever devised went into service, it was found to have a serious shortcoming, requiring a change in design and retro-fitting of existing guns.

What was it?
    M1 Garand

What was it?
    The M1 Garand was famously referred to as the greatest battle implement ever devised. I'm not certain of it's shortcoming. I'm guessing it was related to the action closing on thumbs, OR it was related the pressures being to high and bending op-rods. I'm honestly not sure. I think the over-pressure op rod thing may be related to more modern ammo in current rifles. Also, I need a Garand eventually.

What is the name of the traditional Afghani rifle that is ornate, normally made with the action of an English rifle? At least I have a display version of one of those.

What was it?
    The M1 Garand was originally designed with a gas trap as opposed to a gas port for the gas to run the action. The belief at the time was the port would erode from the hot gases or be difficult to manufacture consistently. The gas trap had issues with corrosion and accuracy. That was one of the two big issues. The other one was a failure to feed the seventh round of the en bloc clip; it was due to an issue with the receiver print. Both were corrected.

User Tag List