Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Google-free Gun Trivia Thread

In 1914, DWM, of Germany, sued the US goverment for patent infringement of a firearm related component adopted by the US military. With the outbreak of WW1 the suit was deferred and after the US entered the war the patents were seized as enemy property. Ultimately though the patent seizure was ruled illegal and the US paid DWM a settlement.

What was the component?

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    In 1914, DWM, of Germany, sued the US goverment for patent infringement of a firearm related component adopted by the US military. With the outbreak of WW1 the suit was deferred and after the US entered the war the patents were seized as enemy property. Ultimately though the patent seizure was ruled illegal and the US paid DWM a settlement.

What was the component?
    Not sure of the specific component, but didn't this have to do with the 1903 Springfield rifle copying the Mauser action?

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Not sure of the specific component, but didn't this have to do with the 1903 Springfield rifle copying the Mauser action?
    In this case, no. The US never got hit for copying the Mauser action. Pre-WW1 it did reach a settlement with Mauser for stealing the design of the stripper clip though, which may have inspired DWM's lawsuit at question here.

ETA: the DWM lawsuit was 1903 adjacent though...
    Last edited by Half Moon; 11-25-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    What was supposed to be the Mare's Leg caliber and what did it actually shoot?

Hint: what rounds were on Josh Randall's belt vs what he loaded the gun with?
    I know he had 45-70 on the belt. The prop gun used either .44-40 or .44 special.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I know he had 45-70 on the belt. The prop gun used either .44-40 or .44 special.
    Ack! I was sure it was .45 Colt but, yep, .44-40 according to wikipedia...

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    For some reason that I do not remember, I remember many prop revolvers were chambered in .38-40, including John Wayne's revolver.

The Google-free Gun Trivia Thread

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The M1 Garand was originally designed with a gas trap as opposed to a gas port for the gas to run the action. The belief at the time was the port would erode from the hot gases or be difficult to manufacture consistently. The gas trap had issues with corrosion and accuracy. That was one of the two big issues. The other one was a failure to feed the seventh round of the en bloc clip; it was due to an issue with the receiver print. Both were corrected.
    We have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    For some reason that I do not remember, I remember many prop revolvers were chambered in .38-40, including John Wayne's revolver.
    Gunzine writer John Taffin bought a studio prop gun and found that barrel and cylinder were not the same caliber. Didn't matter for 5 in 1 blanks, but he had to rebuild it for bullets.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

If you carried a QSPR in the war/conflict in Vietnam, what were you and your colleagues nickname?
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post

What is the name of the traditional Afghani rifle that is ornate, normally made with the action of an English rifle? At least I have a display version of one of those.
    Jezail

Question:

Due to a shortage of arms, Russia bought over 300,000 obsolete black powder Vetterli rifles from which country during WWI?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List