Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: ATF Singles out 23 SB tactical Firearms Braces...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I watched the video I linked earlier in this thread, and there was a letter from Sept 2020 where ATF found (cliff notes version) a short barrel shotgun with a SB brace to be a SBS, and said a long list of SB braces were not approved by ATF. That letter is worth a read, based on content and the date it was issued.
    As @Casual Friday mentioned Braces on "shotguns" is a whole other legal mess as they are neither "shotguns" nor "pistols" but "other firearms."

That letter citied the July 2018 letter, however, the circumstances of the July 2018 letter have changes as noted by @jetfire.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Worst case based on ATFs prior finding that braces are "accessories" rather than stocks, I could see an technical argument for making brace pistols AOWs rather than SBRs. It would require an amnesty and it would be a $5 stamp vs a $200 stamp.
    How would the AOW thing work technically? If we Form 1ed to AOW our braced AR pistols, would we be stuck having to use the braces instead of real stocks because the stock would mean we’d be Form 1ing SBRs so we’d have to pay the $200?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

AR pistols were around a long time before we had braces. For defensive purposes, I would have zero issues deploying an eight inch .300 BLK AR pistol with just the buffer tube.
    Same. I was very hesitant to get on the brace bandwagon. I am perfectly happy with a cheekweld and no shouldering, even with a brace.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    How would the AOW thing work technically? If we Form 1ed to AOW our braced AR pistols, would we be stuck having to use the braces instead of real stocks because the stock would mean we’d be Form 1ing SBRs so we’d have to pay the $200?
    Pretty much. The $5 vs $ 200 thing is how the NFA is written.

Technically a "pistol" is supposed to be designed to be used with one hand. Even though we normally shoot pistols 2 handed now. Remember 1934 norms applied. A guns with no stock "designed " to be shot with two hands (usually defined by dual grips) is an AOW. One could argue that even AR pistols without a brace are technically AOW since you are still using two hands gripping two different parts of the weapon ( PG and either mag well or rail).

For people who have multiple brace pistols $5 would still be a better option than dumping a few grand into SBR stamps.

You would be able to put vertical foregrips on with a brace.

The people in states that allow brace pistols but not NFA would be SOL but for most it would just be a PITA.

The fact that this thread is in the Rifle and carbine section speaks to what "braces" really are and how dumb the NFA is.

A major advantage of the pistol over a SBR is being able to cross state lines without paperwork.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    A major advantage of the pistol over a SBR is being able to cross state lines without paperwork.
    And in many states it can be carried on concealed "handgun" or "pistol" licenses.

I know a few states like FL have concealed "weapon" licenses but most like Texas have concealed "handgun" or "pistol" licenses

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Form 1 an AOW is $200, as well.

Transferring an AOW is $5.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Pretty much. The $5 vs $ 200 thing is how the NFA is written.

Technically a "pistol" is supposed to be designed to be used with one hand. Even though we normally shoot pistols 2 handed now. Remember 1934 norms applied. A guns with no stock "designed " to be shot with two hands (usually defined by dual grips) is an AOW. One could argue that even AR pistols without a brace are technically AOW since you are still using two hands gripping two different parts of the weapon ( PG and either mag well or rail).

For people who have multiple brace pistols $5 would still be a better option than dumping a few grand into SBR stamps.

You would be able to put vertical foregrips on with a brace.

The people in states that allow brace pistols but not NFA would be SOL but for most it would just be a PITA.

The fact that this thread is in the Rifle and carbine section speaks to what "braces" really are and how dumb the NFA is.
    You’re a whole lot more familiar with the NFA than I am so let me bounce some things off you. Would there be issues setting up an AOW to be intended to fire from the shoulder without using a traditional buttstock? At that point it’s already an NFA registered firearm so it’s not exactly building a pistol with the intent to shoot it primarily from the shoulder. What would be the most stock-like “pistol brace” if one was to choose the AOW route instead of the SBR route? Sturdy with a good cheekweld, etc. The SBA3 with a split-fix strap? SBA4? TailHook with some foam built up on the receiver extension for cheekweld?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

When I assembled my 11.5" 5.56 AR pistol in 2016 I installed an SB15 brace on a KAK Super Sig SB15 buffer tube. I've never felt the need to upgrade it. This pistol consists of an Aero Precision engraved "pistol" model lower receiver that I had processed, at the time of purchase, through the Washington State Patrol as a pistol. I occassionally CCW it in a nondescript hiking backpack. My intent with the SB15 brace, "pistol" engraved lower receiver, and state patrol processing as a pistol was to mitigate any claims that it was an SBR versus a pistol by a hostile prosecutor.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Form 1 an AOW is $200, as well.

Transferring an AOW is $5.
    I forgot that. Guess that answers my questions.

User Tag List