Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: ATF Singles out 23 SB tactical Firearms Braces...

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    This brace works as a brace, but also it's easier to shoot the pistol like a pistol, or shoulder it like a stock.
    I thought the point of the brace was to make it easier to shoot? If it's easier to shoot like a pistol then what is the point of the brace?

In my case it doesn't work as a brace at all. The original brace actually worked very well and I could see how it could be helpful with someone that needed it. The SBA3? Not so much.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

May have missed this figure elsewhere but how many braces are estimated to be in the wild?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    May have missed this figure elsewhere but how many braces are estimated to be in the wild?
    I’ve heard several hundred thousand to 4 million

Like many quoted stats, I’d bet both those numbers are made up on the spot.

Which is sort of the point. It’s -not a prohibited item - so like how would any one know how many there are or who really has one.

Most of The noise around this is hand wringing.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post

I just tried shooting my SBA3 as a brace and it didn't work very well. The strap just barely made it around my arm and it came off after about five rounds. Not to mention aiming with it was awkward.
    My earlier SBT brace ain’t much of a brace, either. And, it is a poor excuse for a stock substitute, when “incidentally” shouldered. Plus, with my LAW-foldered RE, the “LOP” is substantially longer than what I want an AR/M4 rifle/carbine stock to be. After some kind of sticky liquid was splashed or spilled on the weapon, I pulled the brace off, for cleaning, and never put it back onto the weapon.

I bought my DDM4 V7P to be a rule-book pistol, that could be carried loaded and bagged, in jurisdictions that do not allow long to to be loaded while concealed, and/or while being transported. In actual practice, it has yet to displace a long-barreled revolver, in that role.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I’ve read through it again.

Someone correct me if I’m incorrect in this interpretation. This isn’t my area of expertise by a long shot.

So they say they want to clarify things so that manufacturers and the public will have an easier time figuring out if something is a brace vs an sbr, vs an …. (ok that seems reasonable)

But they then go on to say that they don’t have specific criteria for what is what. There are some things which will be considered; caliber, sights, etc, but also some things which even they don’t know yet and it’s still going to be a “we know it when we see it” or perhaps “it is what we say it is” kind of situation? And that is basically the same situation we are in now?

Thanks

cc

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I’ve heard several hundred thousand to 4 million

Like many quoted stats, I’d bet both those numbers are made up on the spot.

Which is sort of the point. It’s -not a prohibited item - so like how would any one know how many there are or who really has one.

Most of The noise around this is hand wringing.
    If there are 4 million braced guns in the wild, it’s just proof that SBRs aren’t meaningfully different and need to be removed from the NFA altogether. “Save the braces” needs to be “fuck the Idea of SBRs”

Also, remove the whole NFA but that’s another discussion.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I thought the point of the brace was to make it easier to shoot? If it's easier to shoot like a pistol then what is the point of the brace?

In my case it doesn't work as a brace at all. The original brace actually worked very well and I could see how it could be helpful with someone that needed it. The SBA3? Not so much.
    The design intent of the original pistol brace was to provide shooters with physical infirmities the ability to fire an AR pistol with one hand. That's pretty well documented. For an accomplished pistol shooter, with a gun the size of the CMMG Banshee, just holding it like a pistol with two hands provides the most stable "non-shouldered" platform. I imagine shooting it old-school SAS style pressed out against a tight sling would work too.

Looking at this discussion as someone who has never owned a SBR or AR pistol I'm hopelessly lost.

To my uninformed perspective, it seems that braces are like bump stocks. First they were legal and then they weren't. Nothing changed except a ruling that the ATF made on an order that came down from the administration.

It didn't matter in this state because they became contraband about a month before the ATF took any action. If you had one the state paid you to turn it in. There were no exceptions. They became contraband over night.

Knowing that, if I wanted a SBR or AR pistol I probably wouldn't buy one because 1) ATF might change the definition or, 2) the state might declare either of those contraband based on something the adm. proposed even if they don't actually do it. That's exactly how SBR's are regulated in this state now.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-18-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I’ve read through it again.

Someone correct me if I’m incorrect in this interpretation. This isn’t my area of expertise by a long shot.

So they say they want to clarify things so that manufacturers and the public will have an easier time figuring out if something is a brace vs an sbr, vs an …. (ok that seems reasonable)

But they then go on to say that they don’t have specific criteria for what is what. There are some things which will be considered; caliber, sights, etc, but also some things which even they don’t know yet and it’s still going to be a “we know it when we see it” or perhaps “it is what we say it is” kind of situation? And that is basically the same situation we are in now?

Thanks

cc
    That is my take on it. I believe it is intentionally vague to create confusion and fear in order to get people to avoid braces or comply with the dubious NFA registration scheme.

There's rumors floating around that the "free and expedited" tax stamp would only allow it to be in braced pistol configuration and not a true SBR. If that's the case I hope nobody falls for that.

Name:  Bonjour Bear 18122020070212.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  39.5 KB

User Tag List