Thread: Week 400: Frank Garcia Dot Drill

Week 400: Frank Garcia Dot Drill

Week 400: Frank Garcia Dot Drill

Results may be posted until November 27th, 2020.

Designed by: Frank Garcia
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: Six 2” dots – Download here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...in-circles.pdf
    Start Position: Hands at sides, facing the target, pistol holstered
    Rounds Fired: 36
    Par Time: 5 seconds

Start with pistol loaded and holstered. Upon start signal, draw and fire 6 rounds into one dot. Do this for each of the six dots.

Traditionally, this drill is shot from the holster, at 7 yards, with a 5 second par time, and is scored Pass/Fail (36/36 = Pass, not 36/36 = Fail.) Variations are fine if they enable you to participate in the drill.

Suggested variations:

If you aren't allowed to draw from the holster at your live fire facility, then instead start with the gun on the bench with magazine in the magazine well, but chamber empty. Upon start signal, pick up gun, chamber a round, and fire 6 rounds into one dot.

If the time and accuracy standards are unworkable for you, start by moving the target closer. If you are not able to make hits at the 3 yard line, then try doing the drill without a par time.

Concealment is not required, but is certainly allowed if you wish to use it.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Any variations used (concealment, starting with gun on bench, reduced distance, no par time)
    Time and hits for each of the six strings
    Total score out of the 36 possible points
    Pass or Fail per the original 36/36 standard

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Beretta 92dxr
    JMCK aiwb 2.5
    Sweater and tshirt for concealment
    7 yards

String 1 - 6.02 4/6

String 2 - 4.87 3/6

String 3 - 4.97 4/6

String 4 - 5.74 4/6

String 5 - 5.62 3/6

String 6 - 6.95 3/6

21/36 FAIL

As always this was humbling. I had ran it dry earlier in the week and could get the par but with recoil involved it would take working the trigger on the 92d as the sights were settling and aligning and would be tight. Obviously I overestimated. While not satisfied, I realize that cleaning it takes a pretty high skillset and but I think getting at least 30 while maintaining par isn't out of reach for many here.

Either way with ammo as it is I won't be running this for quite some time since it isn't as good a test with rimfire and I don't know how much centerfire I'll be doing next year until the situation presents itself.

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Results may be posted until November 27th, 2020
    That's supposed to say December 27th, 2020!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Hammertime
    I do this a lot and I totally suck at it. I use the 5s cut of and 7 yard distance.

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used): Beretta 92 DAO with and without laser/light sight.

Any variations used (concealment, starting with gun on bench, reduced distance, no par time): 7 yard distance, some from ready with light/laser, one from holster concealed.

Time and hits for each of the six strings: 4.72-5.5s, 4.49-5.85s from ready with Laser. 6.31-7.42s from concealed with irons.
    Total score out of the 36 possible points: 16/36, 14/36, 13/36
    Pass or Fail per the original 36/36 standard: Fail, Fail, Fail.

I think this drill should be worth a coin or pin or something it is hard as hell and I think the Fast Coin Standard is easier to do on demand. I have never done either, just my guestimation. It doesn't test reloads or transitions, but it sure tests the hell out of draws and marksmanship.

Name:  DDC90B76-82D6-468D-B011-DB2827BCA264.jpeg
Views: 222
Size:  77.8 KB
    Name:  35685AD9-C153-4DC9-A831-F4534A8EBA27.jpeg
Views: 206
Size:  70.6 KB
    Name:  2E57BE47-535F-4C14-84C3-D80F3C0274D4.jpeg
Views: 193
Size:  77.3 KB

I am simply too damn slow and inaccurate: 18 dots and only one was clean, non nearly fast enough.

Yet, if you break it down, you only need a 2 second draw and 0.5s splits on each dot. That should be plenty of time, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

Yet, if you break it down, you only need a 2 second draw and 0.5s splits on each dot. That should be plenty of time, right?
    Exactly.

For my first outing with this, I decided to try it at a distance where I might possibly shoot it clean - 3 yards. Gun was my LTT PX4CC, JM Custom IWB at 4:00 under a nylon wind vest.

Score was 32/36 as shown below. Two shots overtime (in the 5.2s) and two jerked low. I didn’t note the times for each string but the passing strings were in the 45-4.95 range - with exactly the cadence Doc_Glock suggests. This gun recoils so flat that I could probably score the same at 5.

My draws were slower than usual tonight - about 2.2. I need to work on press outs.

Name:  73E65969-6FB9-4A85-AE48-0FEA91D04D4E.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  48.5 KB

User Tag List