Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Current Range Bag Options

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    The longer I live, the less junk I want to carry.

I've had a lot of bags and sooner or later they are all too big and heavy. I wish the zipper hadn't broken on my John Shaw bag.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939160870 I have one of these for each of the most used pistols. Holds the pistol, mags, holster and mag pouches with room for a couple boxes of ammo. I try to keep everything I need for each pistol in the bag. If I want to shoot my G-19, I grab the camo bag. G-17 is the olive bag. I have one of the Dillon double sided ammo bags full of 9mm reloads. I have another large bag that should be holding everything else I need. It weighs a lot and usually the only thing I use out of it is my timer and roll of tape.
    I've been using those Midway pistols cases as well, they are great quality. What I do to keep from lugging one massive range bag to every range trip is offload some of the stuff into the smaller pistol bags:

- Keep a dedicated one of those Midway cases stocked with mags/ammo for each major pistol platform that I shoot frequently: 1911 .45, 1911 9mm, M&P, Sig P365, Ruger MK IV. At range time if taking more than one of the same type of pistol, then my Explorer range bag can hold up to 4 pistols as well, even though it's barely even a 'midsize' bag.
    - Keep an Explorer R2 range bag as my general purpose range bag. Here I keep the common stuff that I use nearly every range trip whether rifle or pistol. This bag is great, it can also hold 2 pistols in dedicated side pockets with pull-out pistol cases + 7 mag slots per side, and can hold additional pistols in the end compartments, or in the divided center compartments. It's a nice mid-size bag and of the range bags I've tried, it's not the most heavy duty I've ever used in terms of stitching, zipper, etc, but it's the most well thought-out in terms of practical organization. And the durability still seems good, I've not had any issues with the zippers failing or stitching coming out yet, but only used for about 4 months.

I keep all the spares for the gun I’m working with fully loaded in these:

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...-prod4151.aspx

For my glocks and 1911s (and a couple other platforms) that’s over 300 rounds. If I’m really going to stretch out that day I’ll throw a couple boxes in behind it, but mostly I hate loading mags at the range.

When a gun goes out of service I just leave the mags unloaded in those cases.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I also have several of these, a couple are 25 years old:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/bord..._26_23843.html

Those used to sit in my car with a couple mags tossed in for quick trips to the range with my carry gun. They are insanely durable and fit their stated purpose perfectly.
    Ignore Alien Orders

The Shooters Connection range bags are the best of breed. I have both the large “Tournament” series for a do all bring everything bag and the smaller one that I fly with to out of town majors. The construction is super solid and the layout is excellent. The large bag has a removable inner carry bag that is perfect for local matches where you don’t need “everything” and there are zippered versions of the inner available that you can set up for either different divisions or different gun rigs to swap i / out depending on what you’re going to be doing at the range that day.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think range bags are like boats, you want a bigger one until you get one that is too damn big.

I finally broke down and created a waterproof tool box that has the rifle rests, spotting scope, and chronograph in it, and it can stay in the truck or in the garage handy.

This is all an effort to minimize what I am lugging in and out of the basement with the ammo supply in it to generally just the Pelican 1500.
    Loved this analogy.
    I am running a vintage, stained StatPack formerly used for Ambulance work. Probably too big, but carries a lot and easy access.
    https://statpacks.com/g3-responder-1

I’ve tried a few different options over the years (LaRue Range Bag, Midway Competition Range Bag, and Tactical Tailor Competition Shooter’s Bag). Since mid-2015, though, I’ve been using a Vertx A-Range Bag, and it was worked exceptionally well. I believe the version they sell now is called the COF-Heavy Bag, which has a few refinements but is structurally similar to what I have. The unique feature of the Vertx bag that I quite like is the “garage” in the bottom half of the bag with a pair of pullout trays which themselves have removable mesh bag inserts. The way I use the bag, in one tray, I can fit 16 loaded pistol magazines, and in the other tray, loose rounds and a speed loader. If I’m going to class, I can easily dump 500 rounds into one tray; that plus another 300 rounds loaded gives me plenty to get through a single day with plenty of margin. The reason for the mesh removable bags is to allow collection of brass and shaking out dirt and debris in the process, though I’ve never used them for this. Above the pull out trays are a pair of small zippered flat pockets. In one, I keep a spare speed loader, and in the other, I keep a small boo-boo kit. The top half of the bag is an open compartment with two slip pockets on one long side, and loop material lining the other long side. In the slip pockets, I keep miscellaneous odds and ends: fiber optic rods, lighters, and razor blade, Aimpoint sight tool, batteries for optics and ear pro, RITR pad, pen, Sharpie, and Lens Pen. Velcroed to the other side in a bright orange hook-backed pouch I keep a trauma kit, with an additional tourniquet Velcroed to the side of the compartment outside the trauma kit for rapid-er access. The rest of the open space is occupied by bug repellant, tube of LeadOff wipes, liquid chalk, black/white/masking tape, eye pro, ear muffs, and plugs, and a shot timer. On the other side of the bag is a deep zippered pocket that runs the length and height of the bag, in which I slip a Tactical Tailor Gun Rug holding one or two pistols, which leaves just enough room in that pocket for a bottle of EWL (inside a ziplock bag to capture leakage) and sunscreen. The bag is very manageable when loaded up with 300-500 rounds for a range day, though it can get a bit unwieldy when I go up to 800 rounds for a class load out.

For a while I was just tossing some roller up targets in the back of my car along with a stapler, but since June of 2019 I’ve been using an Action Packer tote box for range consumables like spray glue, stapler and staples, targets, more tape, and other support items like cones, spotting scope, shop rags, tripod, knee pads, etc. The thought process was that the range bag plus a cooler would get me through a class where I didn’t need to worry about targets or tape, and that I would add the range box for solo practice sessions where I needed to be self-sufficient. This worked well but took up a ton of space in my car. I was also constantly having to go back to the box to grab items that I wanted on the firing line, like glue and repair centers. At a couple recent classes I noted some of the instructors bringing ammo cans or 5 gallon buckets with them and leaving them beneath the targets so that their supplies were readily available. Genius!

So, I picked up a Yeti bucket with the exterior organizer. Inside the bucket, I keep a heavy duty plastic bag full of repair centers and a folder full of targets on 8.5x11 paper (like Dot Torture), a mini 1” binder full of shooting drills, two cans of spray glue, target tape, and cones. In the exterior organizer, I keep a stapler, staples, staple remover, and Sharpie. The range bag stays back by the car, the bucket goes down range and stays by the targets with everything I need right where I need it, and the pullout tray full of spare mags goes wherever I go so I can swap mags as needed. For target storage, I picked up an art portfolio tube from Amazon (they are available in a variety of diameters and most of the have a telescoping design to accommodate targets of differing widths). I regained a bunch of space in my car and gained some efficiencies with target repair, so I’m pretty happy with how the new arrangement is working out.

Bumping this because Im ready to purchase a new range bag.
    Any recommendations please post them up.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Bumping this because Im ready to purchase a new range bag.
    Any recommendations please post them up.
    I was intrigued by this:
    https://nargear.com/shop/firefighter/rangebag/

Otherwise, I just buy cheap LAPG bags.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939221689

I've been using this one for 5 years. Works for me. The smaller grip works for a 100 rds and a pistol.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XCNWJR6...KV7Z4GP1EHQFWD

I'm a fan. I got a color combo that was on sale for $80ish if memory serves me correct.

User Tag List