Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Current Range Bag Options

I think range bags are like boats, you want a bigger one until you get one that is too damn big.

My current is a Pelican 1500 and it is very strong and carries better at my side like a briefcase. This goes with me anytime I go to the range and has my ear pro (plugs and electronic muffs), six magazines in a pouch (that I typically load at home on the bench), staple gun, another little pelican box with loose rounds, a few Crown Royal bags for brass, and a pouch that I think I bought in a luggage department that is supposed to be a toiletries kit for travel. In it goes the timer, a Leatherman tool, squib rod, spare timer battery, basically all of the stuff that I probably will not use (somebody else always brings their timer...) that stays out of the way unless needed.

If I am just shooting pistols I typically am carrying the gun I will be shooting, if I am bringing one extra handgun it probably fits in the 1500. But there is not a lot of spare room, so if I am bringing anything much else (including if I am bringing guests) it goes in an annex bag, typically one of those cheap tool bags from Lowes/Home Depot/Harbor Freight. Or maybe I am bringing an AR, and I have a two rifle case from Midway, it works great for throwing extra pistol stuff in the second side.

I finally broke down and created a waterproof tool box that has the rifle rests, spotting scope, and chronograph in it, and it can stay in the truck or in the garage handy.

This is all an effort to minimize what I am lugging in and out of the basement with the ammo supply in it to generally just the Pelican 1500.

I was content with my Blue Dillon Bag, but after it melted in my house fire, I went cheap.
    I usually take the Midway Compact and have to squeeze everything in.
    The Midway Large holds all I care to hump but is bulky in my BMW trunk. The ammo insert is convenient for a match, but if I need something else and have to walk back to the parking lot, it is an annoyance.

My colleague has recently gone to a backpack - I don't know the make or model - and is very pleased.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I forgot to mention my previous range bag, which was the Sentinel Concepts Blaster Bag Pro by Tuff Products (LINK). I used this bag for, I think, a bit over a year, and I really liked it. It was just a tiny bit too small for what I carry, but I could still cram everything in there. Here's a LINK to a video review. If I needed a small bag, this is definitely the one I'd use.

I love the Maxpedition compact range bag.

https://www.maxpedition.com/collecti...nt=27914132945

It holds what I need to shoot a couple hundred rounds of pistol indoors or on steel. When I shot a lot at an outdoor range I had a midway large rolling around in my trunk for those ancillaries and long gun stuff.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I use the large size GPS range bag and love this thing. I have beat it to hell over the last ~5 years or so and it shows no real signs of wear. It easily fits 4 sleeves of mag holders, 3-4 guns, hard case for ear pro, hard case for eye pro, an IFAK, and rain gear in the main pocket. I like that it has separately labeled pockets on the top hood, and I keep soft ear pro, a multi tool, an extra set of eye pro, and some batteries in those. On one outside pocket I keep a stapler, on the other outside pocket I keep tape or pasters. On one of the larger side pockets I keep sun screen bug spray, and liquid grip, and on the other larger side pocket I keep printed targets like dot torture, index cards, and staples. In the back pocket, I keep a plastic box (that came with the bag) full of just about every replacement part you could need for a Glock, as well as a brass squib rod and mag cleaning brushes.

You mentioned the weight of the bag, and it is heavy. For matches, I bring a rolling cart and put the bag in it. For practice, I am usually unloading the bag directly from my vehicle to a barrel or table, so i'm never really carrying it far.

https://www.amazon.com/G-P-S-602167-.../dp/B00DECL3GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I use the large size GPS range bag and love this thing. I have beat it to hell over the last ~5 years or so and it shows no real signs of wear. It easily fits 4 sleeves of mag holders, 3-4 guns, hard case for ear pro, hard case for eye pro, an IFAK, and rain gear in the main pocket. I like that it has separately labeled pockets on the top hood, and I keep soft ear pro, a multi tool, an extra set of eye pro, and some batteries in those. On one outside pocket I keep a stapler, on the other outside pocket I keep tape or pasters. On one of the larger side pockets I keep sun screen bug spray, and liquid grip, and on the other larger side pocket I keep printed targets like dot torture, index cards, and staples. In the back pocket, I keep a plastic box (that came with the bag) full of just about every replacement part you could need for a Glock, as well as a brass squib rod and mag cleaning brushes.

You mentioned the weight of the bag, and it is heavy. For matches, I bring a rolling cart and put the bag in it. For practice, I am usually unloading the bag directly from my vehicle to a barrel or table, so i'm never really carrying it far.

https://www.amazon.com/G-P-S-602167-.../dp/B00DECL3GG
    I ended up buying a 5.11 off of their Black Friday sale. It’s maybe too big. I like the organization of the GPS backpack I have but it’s just too small. I wish I had see the large GPS bag before I bought something. It looks perfect Gio.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Supporting Business
    Was browsing around and found this topic. I know you’ve already ordered but figured I’d through out our link so you can at least take a look!

https://lynxdefense.com/shop/pistol-...tol-range-bag/

Supporting Business

Made in the USA Option

Just to disclose this is my brand/business and I know you've already ordered but just in case someone else is looking check out our pistol range bag - https://lynxdefense.com/shop/pistol-...tol-range-bag/

I've been using a Maxpedition Falcon III backpack for several years now.
    After using a real backpack there's no way I'd go back to toting around a bag.
    It also looks like a backpack instead of a gun bag if for some reason it's not hidden from sight in my car when I make a stop between the range and home.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Range Bag

I like this one. DAA also makes a similar, but larger one if you need a lot of room.
    https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/ced-d...-ipsc-backpack

User Tag List