Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Range Bag Options

Site Supporter
    I think the larger Vertx bag is a fantastic bag for two pistols. I usually take just one pistol, so I use the smaller bag more, but I really like both bags. Ear pro, glasses, timer, mags, ammo, tourniquet, staple gun, note cards, marker, cleaning and tool kit, small flashlight, and two pistols all fit without a problem in the larger bag. I had to plan to make it all fit, but I really like the setup I've got now.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Got me a ProCase Tactical duffle. Works great and holds everything I need.

I’ve had a dozen or more different range bags over the years, and none have worked better for me than the Green Mountain bags.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I still have a small Bagmaster for my pistols and magazines I've been using since the 80's.
    I just had to toss my Bagmaster, as it had deteriorated badly. It was over 25 years old, so got my money out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I still have a small Bagmaster for my pistols and magazines I've been using since the 80's.
    I keep waiting for my Bagmaster to wear out so I can get something new. I've been using it since probably '98 and it's still holding up.

I see a lot of GPS bags and backpacks, but I've never used one personally.

I have the bigger MidwayUSA range bag... which I got on sale for some promotion they ran. Very happy with it. Center section is huge, and no problem carrying multiple handguns. They also have two inserts; one with supports for boxed ammo, other is a vented bottom bag for dropping dirt when you pick up brass. Main pocket has two side pockets for pistol cases, also included.

There are multiple side pockets. One small at end next to a bottle slot. Larger one on opposite end. Sides has one huge one (spots for magazines), and two halves opposite from it. Those two are roughly the same size as the bigger end pocket. No issue leaving ear/eye protection in there. Basic medical supplies (QuikClot, tourniquet, etc) in one with markers and other odds/ends. All my speedloaders are in the small pouch next to the bottle slot. And the large end pouch has commonly used tools for pretty much all of my firearms. I leave that pouch facing out when at home, so if I need to do something quick on a gun... tools are in quick reach.

I did get a cheap camera back, which I have attached by a carabiner to the bag... filled with all the bore-snakes I have. I do have some duplicates floating around (.22 and .30 mainly... maybe a .38 and 12 Gauge in odd places), including in my truck bag... but the odd ones (6.5mm, .45 rifle) are in there. I may unload it from the bag, depending on what I’m shooting.

Site Supporter
    I too have the larger Midway Range Bag, Circa 2003/04. I keep saying I will replace it when I wear it out.

It typically holds:

Glock 35 in a supplied padded sleeve
    6 .40 cal practice mags in a CED Mag holder
    Glock 34 in a supplied padded sleeve
    6 9mm Glock mags and a blue dry fire practice mag in the integrated mag pouch on the side
    2 sets of electronic ear pro
    2 sets eyo pro
    1 set of "shooting" gloves
    3/4 holsters
    4 mag pouches
    ammo
    Cleaning Kit w lube
    Trauma Kit
    BOO BOO First aid kid
    File folder full of targets printed on 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper
    CD to trace 5 inch circles
    sharpies/pen/multi tool/glock OEM punch\
    Timer with extra batteries
    Flashlight with extra batteries
    Pouch (Pencil bag) w 3 9mm Magpul Practice mags
    Pouch (Pencil b) with "Delta" Glock 22 upper( red fiber optic front/solid black rear)
    Kerchief
    Old ball cap with center button on top removed
    24 oz Camelbak water bottle.
    Snacks
    Baby wipes

I suppose I could fit a stapler and some pasters/tape in there but when I shoot indoors, I am almost always at a client agency range with a proprietary cardboard backing system where they attach targets with exclusively with tape or we use a sharpie to draw onto the cardboard itself

When I shoot outside I have a second bag with my stapler, more targets, a roll of brown butcher paper so I am shooting on a "clean" backdrop, soccer cones and a tape measure to set my range at 3/5/7/10/15/25 yards.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I think it is tough to come up with a single range bag that works in a variety of situations. The bagmaster bag I mentioned is what I most often take to the range to shoot a pistol or two for an hour or two. I can easily fit two pistols and a third is workable. I can fit up to about 150 rounds of ammo, hearing and eye pro, a ball cap, 6 additional magazines, TQ, chest seal, combat gauze, etc., gloves, a small multi-tip screwdriver and a couple of other tools, bits and pieces, spare batteries, sharpie, some pasters, shot timer, etc.

The bigger bag is for extended shooting outside of a quick range trip. In addition to what I just described, I can easily add a couple more guns, another 150 or so rounds of ammo stapler and staples, tape, target pasters, small cleaning kit, an extra set of hearing and eye pro sometimes, water bottle, extra medical stuff, a few more tools and another 3-4 magazines.

If warranted, I can easily add an additional "go" type bag and put stuff in that.

I also have a backpack-style range bag that rarely gets used. It is bulky and unless I need to use to actually pack guns into somewhere, the straps just get in the way and it does not hold more useful stuff than the big shoulder bag. If I have to walk more than I guess 50-75 yards with the bag, a shoulder bag can get old, but otherwise it is fine. The reality is that no matter the bag, I will end up filling it more or less to capacity, and if I use too big a bag, then I have to lug it around, full of crap I am unlikely to need. The same is true with camera bags.

The longer I live, the less junk I want to carry.

I've had a lot of bags and sooner or later they are all too big and heavy. I wish the zipper hadn't broken on my John Shaw bag.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939160870 I have one of these for each of the most used pistols. Holds the pistol, mags, holster and mag pouches with room for a couple boxes of ammo. I try to keep everything I need for each pistol in the bag. If I want to shoot my G-19, I grab the camo bag. G-17 is the olive bag. I have one of the Dillon double sided ammo bags full of 9mm reloads. I have another large bag that should be holding everything else I need. It weighs a lot and usually the only thing I use out of it is my timer and roll of tape.

Site Supporter
    https://www.maxpedition.com/collecti...t=392151531537

Like everyone said, it always ends up way heavier than you expect. The Maxpedition Patrol bag is substantive enough to last with the weight I end up carrying. Great deal when on 50% close out just before Christmas. Not sure if they are still made or discontinued.

User Tag List