Page 17 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Site Supporter

Red face Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I’ve had plenty of people come through my CCW classes that struggle with pulling the slide back on a semi-auto. Much easier to pop the cylinder on a wheel gun. Sometimes a different technique can help with the slide thing, but not always.
    I've seen folks struggle to retract slides as well. Usually they were pinching the rear of the slide with the support side thumb and index finger as they pulled rearward. That's just poor technique and easily remedied. If proper technique is applied and the problem persists, a different semiautomatic pistol is in order. It's sure easy to retract a slide with a RDS using pretty much anything to press against. Many physically weak shooters also find the longer and heavier revolver trigger problematic.

Overall, a semiautomatic is easier for me to manipulate, especially one-handed. I do love my revolvers though and shoot them more these days. The affectation is a pleasure to bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Im on board for affection. I like revolvers more than autos. Affectation, not sure.
    So apparently I misread affectation. I agree. Im not carrying or using revolvers to impress others.

Site Supporter
    I waited to contribute to this thread. Lots of good ideas. I applaud your decision to get a revolver. Learning to run a revolver will make you a better semi auto shooter.
    My first question - is this a want or a need? Assuming you have your needs covered for you and your family ( to include much more ammo than I previously believed to be reasonable. This ammo shortage sucks.)
    I believe everybody needs a pocket revolver. My go to is a S&W 642 with a crimson trace boot grip. After that I suggest three different choices. Revolvers are expensive but fortunately you will be well served by three.

1- the old skool standard- a used S&W K frame. You can start and stop with a S&W model 66 4”. It’s a 357 magnum but I treat all my K frames as 38s. It’s a Goldilocks gun. Not too small, not too big, usually has a red ramp front sight adj rear sight. I didn’t appreciate the red ramp until I needed reading glasses. Get the red ramp. The real beauty of this gun is in dry fire. You can dry fire it a lot and really build your hold hard and smoothly work the trigger skills. A S&W model 15 4” is often found at a lower price that the equivalent 357. Next a S&W model 18 4” 22 LR is a great companion to the 66. A S&W 642 lightweight 38 is a great pocket gun. A S&W 43c is a nice .22LR pocket gun trainer.
    The 66 and 18 can use the same holster; so can the 642 and 43c. The 642 and 43c are available new. The 66 and 18 are available used. I would avoid 66 no dashes. Remember to bring a tooth brush to clean behind the star as you shoot. I would not use the factory for old S&W repairs.

I have a collection of S&W revolvers. This forum and DB have certainly motivated me to buy more. Part of the enjoyment is the search. I am retired and I don’t need much of excuse to visit any gun store I come across.
    These four revolvers would have saved me a lot of money and have covered all my revolver needs for the last 30 years.
    Warning- don’t try a S&W tuned by a master. It will spoil you. It is literally sex on your trigger finger

2. New S&W revolvers- the Hillary hole makes me very sad but can be corrected with a plug. The same suggestions as above apply. A more expensive route with the advantages of buy right now ( ignoring the current supply situation) and factory warranty service.

3. New or used Ruger GP100. Heavy, robust. Feels like it could double as an impact weapon in your hand. If I was starting over from zero? I would get a GP100 Wiley Clapp stainless. Put the factory compact grip on it and go shoot it. A lot. Great sights, 3 inch barrel. They make Gp100s and SP101s in 357, 9mm, 327 and 22LR. The LCRs are available if you want a light weight snubby and can stomach the plastic

Running a revolver is a lot like running a 1911 or a shotgun. The low capacity makes you concentrate more on shot placement and reloading. Topping off weapon becomes a thing. You can try to run your revolver like your semi auto but I run it revolver specific. Shoot it double action. My grip is different, I reload with my right hand etc. To me it’s like switching between a belt fed and an M4. My first revolver was a S&W N frame model 28. I still have it and I just bought another last week!
    Enjoy your revolver hunt
    Last edited by Poconnor; 12-02-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I'm absolutely not looking to pick a fight but, I'm curious to know what "...disabilities and or physical limitations that make a revolver a more viable choice..." I know Joe Sledge could run a 1911 very well with one arm, until he went all effing homicidal/suicidal crazy. Thanks very much. ELN
    My dad has severe RA. Some of his tendons are locked in place and his fingers don't move with the others. To open all the fingers on his right hand, he has to push on some of them with his left. Some fingers still work ok, including his trigger finger. He's also an amputee and wheelchair bound.

While he can struggle and eventually work the slide on a Shield EZ, it's one of the few he can. There's zero chance he could work it in a timely fashion under stress. It's pretty unlikely he could clear a malfunction. He cannot load magazines, period. He would not be able to field strip the gun and lubricate it.

So you've got a guy who can't properly maintain a gun, who has very limited hand strength and a compromised grip, who also can't clear a malfunction if one occurs. Gun not well lubricated + limp wristing = increased risk of a malfunction he can't fix.

As opposed to a revolver, which he can load and unload easily, which he can lubricate easily, and which any malfunction he would have would be ammo related and another cock of the hammer fixes it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter

He found what works!

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My dad has severe RA. Some of his tendons are locked in place and his fingers don't move with the others. To open all the fingers on his right hand, he has to push on some of them with his left. Some fingers still work ok, including his trigger finger. He's also an amputee and wheelchair bound.

(SNIP)

As opposed to a revolver, which he can load and unload easily, which he can lubricate easily, and which any malfunction he would have would be ammo related and another cock of the hammer fixes it.
    He found a tool that meets his needs. That's great! When instructing new shooters, I like to expose them to a variety of options rather than imposing my choices on them. What works for me may well not be suitable for someone else. Best wishes for your dad. ELN

I gave up 54% of my onboard capacity, the performance of full power JHP, 0.044" of starting diameter per bullet, reload speed, and acceptance as a modern human when I shelved my HK. But I gained a ton of concealability to avoid being made in the delicate NPE of our social circles, comfort, eased overhead, ability to hand of my gun to the wife/kid/family/friend, ease of ball and dummy shooting, great dryfire convenience, and got to sate the sentimental part of my soul. I did not just, though it does bring me pleasure, ditch the flat gun for Joe Friday's rig.
    I agree 100% but would like to address the safety aspect of the revolver.

Sometimes I think veteran gunhandlers are not well served by the perception of very safe weapons. I've carried a Glock 19 or 17 for the last 26 years, on and off duty.

During that entire time I've been slightly afraid of it. It's like having a pet rattlesnake.

I don't have to remember to treat it with the respect it's due as a firearm, it's rattling at me.

Anyone else ever feel that way about your weapon? I kinda think we should.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I agree 100% but would like to address the safety aspect of the revolver.

Sometimes I think veteran gunhandlers are not well served by the perception of very safe weapons. I've carried a Glock 19 or 17 for the last 26 years, on and off duty.

During that entire time I've been slightly afraid of it. It's like having a pet rattlesnake.

I don't have to remember to treat it with the respect it's due as a firearm, it's rattling at me.

I've taught my ten year old daughter from Day One to view guns as snakes.
    #RESIST

Recognizing that a gun is comparatively safer or more forgiving of trigger obstructions (e.g. a 9-10 lb DA trigger with a long stroke versus a striker trigger) as well as simpler to operate (verification of loaded/unloaded, simpler manual of arms) does not per se equate to automatic complacency regarding the safety rules.

Feeling “safer” or, perhaps, more conscious of the safety rules because one’s gun is a “less safe” mechanism is illogical. The rules are the rules regardless of the gun.

That’s like saying you feel more confident in your ability to pull out and prevent a pregnancy during the dirty deed because you weren’t numbed by a rubber.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    ...It's like having a pet rattlesnake.

That's a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

While he can struggle and eventually work the slide on a Shield EZ, it's one of the few he can. There's zero chance he could work it in a timely fashion under stress. It's pretty unlikely he could clear a malfunction. He cannot load magazines, period. He would not be able to field strip the gun and lubricate it.

So you've got a guy who can't properly maintain a gun, who has very limited hand strength and a compromised grip, who also can't clear a malfunction if one occurs. Gun not well lubricated + limp wristing = increased risk of a malfunction he can't fix.

I'll say amen to that.

Dad has progressive arthritis in his hands. It's getting difficult to rack the slide on his M92, but he can still work the DA trigger stroke fine. We've discussed him getting a GP100 or similar and starting with wadcutters and working our way up the power scale until we hit the limits of what he can tolerate.

He likes the looks of my 1894c too.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List