Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I still can’t figure out the market for the 329.

Is it the “hold my beer and watch this” demographic?
    I can confirm this— my redneck father-in-law has a 329NG.

Site Supporter

A gun shop owner I used to know had one, and loved it. I asked him why on earth he owned it, and he told me, for when my wife and I go hiking, it’s for the bears.

We live in Arizona. There are *no* bears of significant size in our mountains, and haven’t been for at least a century when the last grizzly in Arizona was killed. We have very few small black bears left, quite a few mountain lions, and an occasional transient jaguar. All of them are timid around people.

I just looked at him and said, well, that will probably work if you can shoot it more than once.

I can’t imagine shooting it at all.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I think @GJM has a pair on ice. They were replaced by the USP .45 loaded with Super, and he seems to believe as I remember his last writings that Lehigh bullets in 9mm are likely to be as useful as the .45.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The 329 is tolerable with .44 Extra Special loads. That would be a 240-250 grain bullet running 1000FPS ish. By tolerable I mean a person could run a few cylinders through, with the right grips, and probably not hurt themselves too bad.

A .429 bullet that weighs 240-250 grains going 1000 FPS is nothing to sneeze at. Unfortunately that's pretty much a hand loading only proposition.

I've fired a J-frame in .357 with full boat magnums, and a 329 with full boat magnums. I really don't know which is worth, but I'm not doing it again.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The 329 is tolerable with .44 Extra Special loads. That would be a 240-250 grain bullet running 1000FPS ish. By tolerable I mean a person could run a few cylinders through, with the right grips, and probably not hurt themselves too bad.

A .429 bullet that weighs 240-250 grains going 1000 FPS is nothing to sneeze at. Unfortunately that's pretty much a hand loading only proposition.

I've fired a J-frame in .357 with full boat magnums, and a 329 with full boat magnums. I really don't know which is worth, but I'm not doing it again.
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=215
    They have a similar .45 colt that has killed a lot of deer for me. It'll go through both shoulders of 200lbs + deer or stem to stern. Unfortunately I know deer are a far cry from predators but Ive been told by others that the same load will go through both shoulders of elk as well.

Its a pretty mild load. My .45acp load is only 60fps away from it.

LL - check your PM's. I have found something you might like.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. If I were to own a 329, it would be a 44 Special dedicated pistol; a lightweight N frame capable of launching 200gr-250gr bullets (WC, SWC, HPs, all copper bullets etc.. -all offered by outfits like Buffalo Bore or Underwood)) at 950-1050fps has a lot to commend it, but not as a 44 Magnum.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Anyone know whether the 325 Thunder Ranch can handle .45 Super? Because it seems like something that shoots .45 Auto or .45 AR would be a lot more deployable.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Anyone know whether the 325 Thunder Ranch can handle .45 Super? Because it seems like something that shoots .45 Auto or .45 AR would be a lot more deployable.
    I looked into this years ago, and I think the answer was "yes." I think I researched that on the Smith and Wesson forum?

I would agree that a 255 grain .45 ACP or .45 Super load would be "just enough" out of this gun...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

For a .44 Special mountain gun, it might be doable.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List