Page 53 of 65 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

To get back on track, I got mine in last Friday. All I can say is the seller under sold his wares. It looked dirty and used in the pics on Gun Broker but I found this gun had hardly been shot It had never been disassembled and was dry. It still had factory dust inside. This is a 2013 gun by the way.

A quick superman costume change

I had some 148 WCs and 158 SWCs rolled up, this is from 15 yards. I didn't run them through the crony with the WC but out of my SP the 148s are about 920 and the 158s are at 1090. The blob on the end of the FO is oblong and was giving me some weird sight pics. I think I will look at a tritium from Dawson's.

148s

158s I had some weird fliers from the first 4 rounds where I was resetting dies. I had them labeled as spicy.

The holster that came with is a vintage Blade Tech. I tried it and it was like sticking a square piece of plywood down my pants. I think with the tek-lock and some dremel work I can make a decent owb range holster out of it.

I will say I was a bit worried about buying a used gun without being able to handle it. It was my first...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m starting to dig this hog leg. Two second par from every day AIWB, seven yards.

Attachment 68988

Attachment 68989
    I think that revolver would look handsome with some Sack Peterson stag inserts...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    The blob on the end of the FO is oblong and was giving me some weird sight pics. I think I will look at a tritium from Dawson's.
    I found the same thing on my GP MC. Cut the FO out of it and replaced it with a brass pin. Liking that so far, although it does want a little polishing lately. Maybe I can get it gold plated somehow.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m starting to dig this hog leg. Two second par from every day AIWB, seven yards.

Attachment 68988

Attachment 68989
    How many were you getting on target inside the par time?

I was using my shot timer today and was averaging a 0.8sec shot from concealment on my 10x12 steel at 12 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I found the same thing on my GP MC. Cut the FO out of it and replaced it with a brass pin. Liking that so far, although it does want a little polishing lately. Maybe I can get it gold plated somehow.
    The blued Wiley Clapp had a gold bead front sight. Have been debating calling Ruger...

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    That’s a great idea on the brass rod. You wouldn’t happen to know what size rod you used by chance? That is the one thing I do not care for on my GP...that FO rod. I find it hard to get decent alignment with the factory adjustable rear sight. (Mine is a .44spl.)

The other thing I’ve unsuccessfully toyed with are the grips. Mine came with the pebble grain Hogues. They’re nice, do a good job absorbing the 7.5gr Skeeter load, but was looking for something “not quite” as bulky. Per advice here, I tried the compact Letts. Don’t like them. At least for me on the .44, it makes the gun feel “unbalanced”. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting full sized Letts, or trying some VZs. I’m not sure how that hard micarta would feel in my hand under recoil however...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    That’s a great idea on the brass rod. You wouldn’t happen to know what size rod you used by chance? That is the one thing I do not care for on my GP...that FO rod. I find it hard to get decent alignment with the factory adjustable rear sight. (Mine is a .44spl.)

The other thing I’ve unsuccessfully toyed with are the grips. Mine came with the pebble grain Hogues. They’re nice, do a good job absorbing the 7.5gr Skeeter load, but was looking for something “not quite” as bulky. Per advice here, I tried the compact Letts. Don’t like them. At least for me on the .44, it makes the gun feel “unbalanced”. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting full sized Letts, or trying some VZs. I’m not sure how that hard micarta would feel in my hand under recoil however...
    I’m using the nylon Hogues on my 3” GP-100, I’ve considered the smooth VZ grips but never seen a review from anyone who actually owns a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I’m using the nylon Hogues on my 3” GP-100, I’ve considered the smooth VZ grips but never seen a review from anyone who actually owns a pair.
    @entropy

I haven't used them on a ruger but they worked great on my m19 with full house loads. The round butt set caused some issues on my m66.

I prefer the checkered ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I started with the stock wooden Hogues on my Match Champion, went to Altamonts, and now have the no-finger groove rubber Hogues that match the profile of the original wooden Hogues.

The Hogues seem to really point naturally, give me better trigger control than the Altamonts, and soak up recoil pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    How many were you getting on target inside the par time?

I was using my shot timer today and was averaging a 0.8sec shot from concealment on my 10x12 steel at 12 yards.
    I failed Math for Marines as per the 03 standard, but most. It was bigger than my usual 3x5 card, but I’d wager most of my missed shots were from that slight left deviation you see.
    #RESIST

User Tag List