Page 5 of 65 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I was actually coming back here to suggest exactly that. I had been planning on "eventually" buying a 2.75" 66-8, but I just discovered the 3" Wiley Clapp GP100 is only a couple ounces heavier. Clearly it's a thicker cylinder, but since I already have gear for a GP100, and it doesn't have a lock, I'm leaning that way instead.
    I've had both the 2.75" 66 and the WC GP100, w/ Altamont compact grips for some time now. I think if I had to choose one I'd go with the Ruger, mainly because it handles magnum loads better and therefore has the edge for a more "do it all" wheelgun.
    That said, I carry my 66 most days and for all the talk about how bad new S&W's are, its been an awesome shooter, a comfortable carry (with Pachmayr Compacs) and a durable, dependable gun so far. I just think of it more as a 38+P gun then a 357.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

IMHO, The three top contenders for what you’re looking for are:

New 66-8 2.75”

586/686+ in 3”

WC GP100 3”

I’m partial to Smith. The lock doesn’t really bother me. @jetfire ‘s L frames are pretty badass, can’t go wrong copying him.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I carry a GP100MC with compact grips AIWB with no problem. There's photos in one of the revolver threads about photos of that sort of thing, but I don't recall which. I also own a GP100WC. The extra inch in my pants isn't a big deal (giggity) and I've never bothered with a 3" holster.

The factory grip on the MC is a bit much to conceal without a lot of effort. Like maybe a Cosby sweater.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I can conceal a G17 AIWB with ease and comfort. I'm 5'11", 182lbs, fairly athletic build. With regards to stainless or nickel guns, is that for ease of maintenance/rust prevention?
    Rust prevention for this sweaty AIWB guy.

The 627 PC is doable for carry, but that cylinder is fat and it’s heavy. It’s pleasant enough to shoot.

I had the 686 PC version as well, and it would definitely be better for carry.

OP to your question, if you have a true need, or want, to carry that gun, you can do it easily. It's not too big.
    I've carried a 4" N-frame for several years now everyday and it's not been a burden. It goes on when I wake up and comes off when I go to bed.

There are quite a few others, not a large percentage of all gun toters, but a lot of us do it.
    You might have to put away the "skinny jeans with a wife beater wardrobe" but it's no big deal to do it

I assume you have a compelling reason or you would of ask about small guns instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I had a chance to think about this more on the drive time home tonight. Honestly, the WC GP is really hard to beat for what you describe.

Some things to know about the GP, and consider:

First off, on the whole 6 v 7 v 8 round thing: the classic load out is 6 rounds. Speedloaders abound for the 6 round wheelies. Moreover, many—though not all—classes and revolver-centric events hew to the old-school capacity, and center around six-round strings. DB and his ilk (Haggard, Cecil, et al.) can say more, but you really don’t want to be the one guy with a sportbike, when all your friends are riding Harleys for the poker run, even if the Japanese sport bike delivers objective advantages on paper. Nobody cares.

The zen of the wheelie is the smooth, hypnotic press and the management of “six fer sure.” If you want to grab an 8-round, moonclipped 9mm super GP or something for a *second* wheelie, I doubt you’d get any argument. But for the first serious revolver? Learn to embrace old-school. Plus, these things are about the zen and joy of nostalgia. Any sitch that has you looking at a GP and going “man, 6 isn’t very much...” will have you just reaching for a G17/19/45 anyways.

Second, you strike me as the kind of guy who will saw his own trees and plumb his own bidets, so you will be doing your own trigger work, and any fool can learn to do a good trigger job on a GP—they’re designed to be easy to take apart. I’ve done smoothing on all the Rugers I’ve owned, and I’m no mechanic. One can learn to work with an S&W too, but you need to take more care in the learning. If you can change a connector in a Glock, you can stone the surfaces and swap wolff springs in a GP—it’s the Glock/AR barbie doll of the wheel gun world.

Third, it’ll last forever, and is currently supported with support that’s actually worth having, JMO.

Fourth, real sights, and good options if you still want something else in your sight picture.

5th, if it’s a commercially available load, the GP will shoot it without any drama for either gun and shooter.

WC GP, JMCK, and go shoot. You reload, yes?
    Yup, I reload. No issues there.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yup, I reload. No issues there.
    You could always drop down a caliber and get a SP101 in 327 Federal. You get a smaller revolver and still 6 shots. I'm not a revolver person, but I like my J-frame in .32H&R mag well enough, even though I rarely shoot it. I'd like some Ruger SAs in .327, preferably a Bisley--obviously not for EDC though.

For those who own a Ruger GP100 that has one of the darker finishes, how is the finish in terms of durability and corrosion resistance? Is it like a Glock where you don’t need to think about it much past wiping sweat off, or is it more like a classic blued gun that needs to be wiped down and oiled regularly?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    The 627 PC is doable for carry, but that cylinder is fat and it’s heavy. It’s pleasant enough to shoot.

I had the 686 PC version as well, and it would definitely be better for carry.

Bloodwork. As in: Clint Eastwood; as in, that gun makes the blood work in my johnson. Seriously good looking revolver.

User Tag List