Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    You're making a huge assumption and painting with a very broad brush. There are folks who can't manage a semi-auto for various reasons. Not everyone is the square range operator found on gun forums either. Some have disabilities and or physical limitations that make a revolver a more viable choice than the latest wiz-bang wonder-9.

Since folks have been defending themselves and society for a lot of years with the lowly revolver you probably shouldn't sneer quit so loudly.

Dave
    I don’t think he meant it that way, since he does indeed carry revolvers.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    We're waiting....
    I’m waiting on word on something, something we’ve chatted about.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    risk calculation vs available space on my 30 inch waist, the knife almost always wins over a reload.

Ive found that the watch pocket on jeans and Carhartts carry 2 speed strips back to back nicely. I file the sharp edges off with an emory board, they tend to wear the bottom of the pocket otherwise. I also carry a speed loader in the right front pocket, either with the Colt Agent or for whatever I may have on my belt.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    You're making a huge assumption and painting with a very broad brush. There are folks who can't manage a semi-auto for various reasons. Not everyone is the square range operator found on gun forums either. Some have disabilities and or physical limitations that make a revolver a more viable choice than the latest wiz-bang wonder-9.

Since folks have been defending themselves and society for a lot of years with the lowly revolver you probably shouldn't sneer quit so loudly.

Dave
    I would STRONGLY encourage you to google “Caleb Giddings revolver” before you start getting assmad that I’m dissing revolvers

For general training and IDPA, I run 3.4 grains of Clays with Brazos Precision 158 coated RNs.

If I feel like some +P, it’s 5.5 grains of Power Pistol behind home-cast Lyman 358429 SWC.

jetfire said "Plus, the entire idea of carrying a revolver as a primary is an affectation"

As a full time revo carrier I agree with that.
    There are demonstrably more efficient firearms for a prolonged fighting situation. People say - contact shots, etc, etc, etc.
    But still, here we are. I carried mag fed semis for a long time and still do some days, (my Wife/Chic does every day) in addition to my revo, but have carried a revolver as primary for a few years now. Because I see the need for mid range .44RM level power (or top end .357 level with heavy bullets at the least). Non human need.

But I LIKE revolvers, I like the physical manipulation, I like shooting & reloading them. They make me happy and give me a fighting chance with the zombie menace of your choice.

Look at the number of folks who pocket carry a .380, their life their choice

That's no disrespect to revolver carriers, I AM one, but we all make our acceptable "compromise". Yours may be a .380 or a J-frame in the pocket, mine's a N-frame all day.

Come the pocylips I'll be stuffing speedloaders in a S&W, enblocs in an M1, or 12 ga in a 590 and if I'm slaughtered by the hoards with glocks & AR's, then at least I had a chance and got dropped doing what I loved

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Pick one. I prefer 158gr cast from rimrock. My wife prefers 125/130gr in her 2" m15.

Cast is significantly cheaper. I have found 125gr plated or jacket bullets pretty comparable but they're on close outs or pulled etc.

The lighter bullets do kick less. But a 158gr bullet at 950fps is very, very manageable.
    Please say that BE86 works for all of those.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What’s a good training bullet to load up for .38? Cast and/or coated is preferred.
    First, I'd decide what defensive load I was going to use and choose a bullet weight close to that. I'd go with coated over noncoated lead because they're cleaner to load and shoot. In a .38 Special using BE-86, you'll have no problem matching the velocity of your defensive load if you want to.

I shot IDPA SSR for several years back when the power factor was 125. I still have about 2k of 158-grain uncoated RNLs at about 845 fps from back then, plus about 3k of Berry's 158-grain RNs to load when I get done with the 9x19 that's up next. When they're gone, I'll probably switch to coated SWCs at 800-850 fps.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Please say that BE86 works for all of those.
    BE-86 is like Unique, it works with everything.

Site Supporter
    jetfire,

I didn't think you were "dissing revolvers", rather I got the impression you were dissing (you word not mine) the people who choose to shoot and carry them. I was defending them.

Since you took what I said the wrong way I guess we are even.

Dave

User Tag List