Page 20 of 65 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Thumb cocking leading to unintended discharges is a very real concern. Dad can't safely lower the hammer, either. If he cocks it it's going to stay cocked until someone can get there to help him. But he can't pull the trigger otherwise since his hands are so fucked up. We're getting to the point that even a SA revolver isn't going to be an option, and even now it's mostly a security blanket that can make noise if he needs it to.
    A gunzine article once addressed the house with only a SAA for home defense. The instructor recommended that if the threat was abated and the resident was standing there with the revolver re-cocked, he should just gently lay it down and leave decocking until he calmed down, or for someone else to manage.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    That's too bad. I was all ready to say, "One of us... One if us... One of us..."

I'm not gonna lie, I had the gun in the shopping cart and my credit card out, then something told me that this was too good to be true so I gave myself a "cooling off" time out. This is my shocked face when I came back to find its a scam site. A 3 inch GP would complete me however...

Site Supporter
    I have carried a 4" N-Frame concealed AIWB many times, and also at about 3:30 o'clock in an ancient Alessi IWB holster. I am just shy of 6 foot and at the time I was carrying those I was probably 260. I wore it down on my hips and hid the grip under my belly. Had a 2x2x2 pouch OAOWB and it balanced out nicely. 4" AIWB is about max length for me, and I have to admit that a couple times I have pinched sensitive bits of anatomy between muzzle and chair when I set down recklessly. One day in a coffee shop I dropped down into a wooden chair and bounced back up almost as fast!!!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Never having fired, held or even seen in real life I kinda dig the PC scandium snubbie.

But, I'd just get a S&W model 10 skinny barrel 4" and slick it up. Skinnies have much better sights.

I took my 6" skinny out shooting yesterday and was reminded-yet again-of how easy they are to shoot very accurately.
    I am all for one of those 2" 8-shot monsters, but I have never actually seen one in the real world. A 4" skinny barrel round butt Model 10 is a really nice shooting revolver!

Not a range gun, but my 386PD carries well, shoots well (.38’s only) and, cut for moonclips, reloads pretty well.

Name:  5522FEED-7DD5-4756-AD00-860A7973DA28.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:  B9E3F733-CF9C-4368-A10C-96180F35460B.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  101.6 KB

Can you not convert the Rugers to DAO?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Can you not convert the Rutgers to DAO?
    Altering the hammer on the Ruger would be pretty straightforward, the contour of the DAO hammer could be easily derived from the spur hammer, and there is more mass to start with and plenty left after removing the spur:

Name:  Ruger Hammer.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  9.6 KB

As far as removing the SA cocking notch, I am sure that would be easy also, but would require more research. On a side note, my Apex hammer is supposed to convert to DAO, but farting around with it I was able to get it to stay at full cock (though with a crappy let off):

Name:  Apex Hammer.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  65.9 KB

Not really sure how this makes me feel, but I am sure it doesn't matter.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Any competent gunsmith should be able to do it. I've converted my 3" and 4" carry GP100s' myself. Just grind off one side of the cocking notch so it can't engage to hold the hammer back. I prefer horizontal shoulder holsters for the GPs' so I leave the hammer spur to ensure a good purchase for the retaining strap.

I did it to an older Security-Six. Pretty straightforward.
    I would have no qualms about doing it to a GP100, and likely will in the near future.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 12-30-2020 at 04:21 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List