Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Is a 4” gun that much more uncomfortable than a 2.75” or 3” gun?
    AIWB, not really. See BBI's post above about the 3" Wiley Clapp versus the 4" Match Champion. My experience is skinny barrel 4" Model 10 and 12 versus 2" model 12's (fixed sight K frames respectively in steel and aluminum frames). Less difference than you would think. In some positions the 4" is actually more comfortable than the 2". A heavier barrel might change that but skinny barrel is limit of my experience for AIWB. Heck, for old school, there is even a Skeeter Skelton article about barrel lengths and comfort that says as much. I think I have it bookmarked somewhere...

ETA: yep, here's the article:

http://darkcanyon.net/The%20Long%20&...%20Barrels.htm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    BE-86 is another possibility, also a burn rate similar to Unique and meters well. I haven't used it in .38 yet but it works well in 9x19 and .45 ACP. The velocities in Alliant's data are pretty close to what I've gotten from my guns.
    BE-86 is the choice if you want +P velocity with standard pressure.
    The book maximum standard powder charge (not +P) averages 882 FPS from my 4” .38 GP-100 with a 158 grain cast bullet.
    I have experimented with HS—6 and Accurate #5 and BE-86 beats both in clean burning and higher velocity and comparable accuracy.
    Got unburned powder flecks under my 65-6’s extractor star with both. Will save those powders for semi automatic pistol loads.

I am a big fan of the S&W model 64, in specific the heavy barreled models. As they are still reasonably priced, getting two is feasible. One could be customized by Laubert or McKee, while you shoot the other. They work. They just plain work.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I don't think its even slightly more uncomfortable. The uncomfortable part, if there is one, is going to be the part above the belt line. To get the "disappears to the point I can forget it's there", then I have to go down frame size as well, not just barrel length.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    This is very annoying to me. I'm used to S&W K-Frames and I find the long lock time on the Rugers very distracting. It seems like the trigger pull is longer too. I like the idea of the GP100, but I don't think I could ever get used to one as long as I have K-Frames.

I have the Jerry Miculek video on S&W trigger jobs and I've done some of my own. Just a light polish here and there with a spring kit and it's a very nice trigger.
    Yep. Right there with you. I entered USPSA revolver division shooting S&Ws. They will spoil you. But I and a couple of my friends were thoroughly trounced by a guy shooting a stock GP100 reloading from his jean jacket pockets in a local match. They can be shot quite well no doubt, they're just not as "refined". And I slicked up the two GPs I had quite well with minimal work and a couple of WC spring kits.

The "time to proficiency" is just shorter with the S&W action. I just wasn't patient enough to put in the work needed with the GPs.

Its noticable.

I carried a 4" m19 in a jmcustom aiwb holster for a year before I cut an inch off. I wont go back willingly.

So much more comfortable driving, tying boots, and playing with kids

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Its noticable.

I carried a 4" m19 in a jmcustom aiwb holster for a year before I cut an inch off. I wont go back willingly.

So much more comfortable driving, tying boots, and playing with kids
    Yeah, playing with kids makes me switch to OWB at home. Rassling while carrying AIWB is not comfy.
    #RESIST

Yeah, playing with kids makes me switch to OWB at home. Rassling while carrying AIWB is not comfy.
    My son knows to move his head when he charges me. A k frame at aiwb is significantly more comfortable than glocks or 1911s. Its more organic.

I can conceal a G17 AIWB with ease and comfort. I'm 5'11", 182lbs, fairly athletic build.
    Name:  I hate him.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  12.5 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List