Page 48 of 65 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My m66-8 has a better trigger than my berettas that Ive made above average.
    Oh wow, really? What did it take to get the trigger to that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Oh wow, really? What did it take to get the trigger to that point?

I just stoned the sides of the moving parts. Light grease and a lot of pulling the trigger.

I have spent so much time with it I prefer it over my 1911s with a nice clean rolling break.

My new to me m10 is pretty good to. Better than my berettas. The rest of my k frames are good but not as good.

I dont mess with the springs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I just stoned the sides of the moving parts. Light grease and a lot of pulling the trigger.

I have spent so much time with it I prefer it over my 1911s with a nice clean rolling break.

My new to me m10 is pretty good to. Better than my berettas. The rest of my k frames are good but not as good.

I dont mess with the springs.

A DA pull nicer than my Berettas would be a very, very enjoyable.

Site Supporter
    My GP100s trigger is nicer than my 92LTT.

That said, the trigger on a 92D is probably better than that. Very smooth.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

47 pages later, and I still don't know whether to look for a WC Ruger or work on a 66-8. My only revolver is a .45 Colt SAA clone that I casually load for using a Lee hand set. I went from carrying Glocks with a purposefully rolling break to falling in love with Beretta 92s over the last 2 years. I carry a 92X G with a Langdon dot slide and still have my first Beretta 92FS I put all the Langdon goodies in as my back up to my 92X that I train with and carry.

I've always been fascinated by the Golden age of revolvers in the 20th century and spend hours reading places like this and the works of DB and such. I know the market is horrific right now, but someone talk me out of getting a 2.75 Model 66 and an All Chin mount with one of my Holosun 407s on it. I wouldn't have a problem with the internal lock with a plug in it, but I am absolutely spoiled by my Beretta DA triggers.

I'd be very interested in a 3" GP100 but I haven't seen an RMR mount for it with good reviews yet.
    If a dot mount is a must, than S&W should be your choice. I spent the better part of a year looking for a good red dot mount for the GP100 and after having multiple mounts fail, I finally found one from Allchin that works. Unfortunately it doesn't accept RMR footprint optics, so it's basically reduced to a toy and not something for serious work.

The Allchin Mount for S&W revolvers on the other hand is available for RMRs, and most critical uses all three screw holes to mount the optic, which provides a rock solid mount for the dot. The Apex mount I used on my L-frames for an ACRO mounts the same way and I have had zero issues over a couple thousand rounds with them.

Re: Ruger vs S&W - in my personal experience, you can get a decent trigger out of a Ruger with less work than it takes to get a decent trigger in a S&W, but you can get a better trigger overall in a S&W. The best DA revolver triggers I have are on my two L-frames that I've put some real time and effort and money into cleaning up.

Site Supporter
    @jetfire it was actually your endorsement of the Allchin for the Ruger that brought them to my attention, so I could then look at their site and be sad that they didn't have a Ruger RMR option. That's the mount I had in mind for putting a 407 on a K frame- sort of a mini version of your Acro L frames.

Site Supporter
    I've always been fascinated by the Golden age of revolvers in the 20th century and spend hours reading places like this and the works of DB and such.
    Noah,

Not trying to give you a hard time, just tryin' to understand. In the "Golden age of revolvers" there were no dots, just little lumps of iron that you lined up as best you could. Have you spent any time with a decent revolver trying the iron sights? I think a good place to start would be finding a used 4" M-10 and put in a lot of dry-firing and as much live firing as ammo supplies allow. Once you have a decent trigger on a six-gun, and more importantly know how to operate it properly, making decisions about other models of revolvers and sight systems will make much more sense.

My $.02 worth & YMMV,
    Dave

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Noah,

Not trying to give you a hard time, just tryin' to understand. In the "Golden age of revolvers" there were no dots, just little lumps of iron that you lined up as best you could. Have you spent any time with a decent revolver trying the iron sights? I think a good place to start would be finding a used 4" M-10 and put in a lot of dry-firing and as much live firing as ammo supplies allow. Once you have a decent trigger on a six-gun, and more importantly know how to operate it properly, making decisions about other models of revolvers and sight systems will make much more sense.

My $.02 worth & YMMV,
    Dave

Dave, valid points. I've shot two different Model 66s, but the only revolver I own is a .45 Colt SAA clone with the lumps of iron you describe. For defensive, training, and competitive purposes, I shoot Berettas exclusively. It's actually enjoying double action shooting with the Berettas in the last few years that has me wanting to go from reading about DA revolvers to owning one. I was most interested in adjustable sight S&W due to the ability to adjust the sights to match whatever ammo is available as I'm very picky about my POI, and the ability to put an optic on it in the future. I really appreciate having an optic on my carry Beretta. I wish a .45 Colt DA revolver was easier to come by, as I'm actually well stocked on .45 Colt loading supplies (as well as factory 9mm ammo).

The market for both ammo and guns is pretty bad right now, has me wishing I'd jumped on a surplus M-10 when they were available at a shop near me. I actually went after work to buy one this Fall only to fall victim to an hours change at the shop.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    This one (WC GP100) is clomping towards $900, auction ends ~9PM EST.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893350312
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List