Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Revolver on the Way

New Revolver on the Way

The following information is presented as best that I know it. If I have missed some specifics or cited any incorrect facts, I apologize in advance.

in 2017, Ruger produced a limited amount of Ruger Bisley Blackhawk single action revolvers in .44 Special caliber with 5.50" barrels.

These revolvers were made specifically for Lipsey's for sale by their dealers, and to my knowledge those dealers were to be the sole source for selling them when they were released.

I have heard conflicting reports, but apparently these revolvers (some with blued finish and some with stainless) were wildly popular and were gone, in many or most cases before the revolvers appeared in gun stores. I have heard that most were pre-purchased from Lipsey's dealers immediately or almost immediately after they were announced.

In any event, I clearly remember lusting after one of these fine revolvers back in 2017 when the forthcoming release was made public. I did quite a bit of groundwork attempting to "get on the list".

Unfortunately that was the same year that I had to have both open heart surgery and spine surgery, both within seven weeks, followed three weeks later by my wife's hip surgery. Any plans for a new revolver acquisition were placed way, way on the back burner.

Since that time, while I wouldn't call myself obsessed with finding one of those revolvers, I have spent a good deal of time looking, researching, and exploring different sources and sales hoping to find one at a reasonable price and in good condition. It's been a frustrating pursuit, to say the least.

Yesterday, my luck changed and I found an UNFIRED new one in the box at a reasonable price and purchased it from Tyler Gun Works in Texas. Closed the deal today, and received notice this afternoon the revolver has been shipped and is due to arrive at my FFL dealer about mid-week next week here in the Phoenix, AZ area.

Over the past several years, I haven't done any shooting at all with a big bore revolver, although I did a significant amount for many years, including handgun hunting. This new gun has got me excited, and I am eagerly looking forward to wringing it out a bit, as it will very shortly leave the ranks of "unfired". The .44 Special is a sweet caliber and lots of fun to hand load for and pack during treks to the mountains and desert.

Photo attached

Name:  Image.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  59.5 KB

Congrats, that is a beautiful handgun. Love it when after a lot of effort, the stars a line and things work out.

Enjoy it and keep us posted how it shoots!
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Beautiful pistol! Glad to hear you finally got it. A range report is a must.

Site Supporter
    Congratulations! You will love it!

I bought one last year (only gun purchase of 2023). It is very much a fun gun to have and shoot.

Site Supporter
    @1911Nut It is said that these are made with extra attention to detail. I have a New Model Vaquero 45 Colt. It's perfect in every respect and was born this way. If I were younger and in better health, I would pay a premium(even stupid)price for a Ruger like yours.

Correction. I reread your post and see that your Ruger is a Bisley which, of course, is on the larger frame. It will take anything you would want to load and shoot. I deleted sentences in my post stating that your Ruger is on the smaller frame.
    Last edited by willie; 02-16-2024 at 01:42 AM.

Enjoy it! I have a 4 5/8” Bisley 44 Special and have been keeping my eyes open for a 5 1/2”.

Here's a little background on the Flattop Bisley 44 Specials. In 2009 we (Lipsey's) convinced Ruger to make us a run of mid-size frame Flattops in 44 Special. Originally they only wanted to do 4-5/8" barrel models, but I finally talked them into making both 4-5/8" and 5-1/2" models. Reason being is most of the custom converted 3-screw Ruger 357's that had been converted to 44 Special were done with a 4-5/8" barrel myself included. Those guys may want something a little different and that proved to be a good move since the 5-1/2" guns outpaced the 4-5/8" by a small margin that first year. I was at a Ruger dealer promo that fall and Ruger's revolver product manager was working the show as well. He asked me if I'd gotten one of the Flattop's yet and I hadn't because we were still swamped with orders and mentioned that I'm partial to the Bisley model guns anyways. He said, well how about I just build you a Bisley model just pick a barrel length. After going back and forth over the day about it, he finally just said, I'll make you one of each. So those were the first two Bisley 44 Special Flattops. When I got them in at the office, all the guys here were all over them and said you have to order more. It kind of worked out because Ruger decided to catalog the standard Flattop 44 Special in 2010 so we got he exclusive on the Bisley version that year and have continued to run them ever since. After a few years we did add the stainless models. There was a small run of 7-1/2" guns for The Shootists and an even smaller qty of "mistake" Shootists guns that didn't have Shootists serial numbers.

I've always considered these guns as a Working Man's Keith #5. The 5-1/2" version is my favorite of the three lengths. Brian Pearce did a great article in Handloader Magazine on loading for these and I encourage you to find that article if you can. Ross Seyfried did a great write up on them for Gunsamerica. Ross was a big fan of the guns and commented that Elmer would have very happy with them.

Mechanically, these guns seem to be some of the better single actions Ruger has made. I attest a lot of that to new tooling and such. Generally the throat dimensions and tolerances are spot on with these guns.

I've loaded a lot of different loads for mine and have settled on a 250gr. Keith SWC with 8.0gr of Power Pistol. Runs right at 1000 fps out of my 5-1/2" gun and 975 fps out of my 4-5/8". Pressure is under SAAMI Spec and accuracy is exceptional. We've found that the Ruger's like cast bullets sized .431 in the 44's if you are casting or can select sizing when buying.

Just wanted to give a little of the back story on these. Since Covid the supply of these has been sparse, but I do anticipate seeing a better flow this year. I have a lot of single action revolvers, but the 5-1/2" Bisley Flattop 44 Special is my favorite.

Jason / Lipsey's

This picture amused a few revolver folks here back in the day; posting again purely so Jason knows that he’s made a difference out in the world…
    @JEC
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This picture amused a few revolver folks here back in the day; posting again purely so Jason knows that he’s made a difference out in the world…
    @JEC
    You should have seen the look on my boss's face when in the height of the AR-15/standard capacity 9mm Obama run I wanted to do a run of single action 44 Specials! Fortunately, it ended up being a great success and really paved the way for a lot of the projects we have done since.

Glad you got one of the originals. Those are great guns. I gave my Dad one just like yours for Christmas in 2009 and now I have it after he passed. It shoots that Power Pistol load into small little ragged holes.

Quote Originally Posted by JEC View Post
    . Since Covid the supply of these has been sparse, but I do anticipate seeing a better flow this year.

Jason / Lipsey's

So you're sayin there is a chance?

I have been trying to score one of the 4 5/8s model since they hit the market. Lost a couple of gunbroker auctions because the price got silly high. I would settle for a 5 1/2 tho.

User Tag List