Page 42 of 65 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What should I prefer FPS or SWCs?
    For 38 Special I had very good luck with a GT Bullets 160gr LSWCHP loaded with 5.3gr of Unique. This load runs 850fps from a 2" LCR and worked quite well in gel from what I remember.

Those who aren't too concerned about hand loads and self defense might be well served with this combination.

I suppose ideally a person would tailor the load to 850ish out of whatever barrel. Possibly 5gr flat for a 3" barrel and maybe 4.5gr from a 4 inch?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

These are not times in which I can pick and choose powders
    #RESIST

I’m looking for bullets, what should I prefer?

“cast swcs, lubed or not, some powder coated swcs”
    I've been using Bayou coated bullets for the last few years. I think all the coated bullets are similar. I wouldn't use uncoated lead (lubed or not) unless you like to clean guns.

I started years ago using lead bullets in revolvers. It was horrid. Coated bullets have been a wonderful invention for a lazy guy like me.

Site Supporter
    I’m sitting on 8lbs of BE-86.
    These are not times in which I can pick and choose powders
    BE-86 works fine with coated lead bullets.

As for bullet design, the flat points are similar to hollow points in terms of speedloader use, while the SWCs are obviously similar to the LSWC-HPs if that’s your choice for carry. One might be more accurate than the other, but you’d have to try them in your gun to see.$

I've been experimenting a lot the last few years. Here's what Ive tried.

125gr plated. I got 3k iirc really cheap because theyre pulls but i dont care. I wanted a lower recoil full power load for my wife. Her 2" m15 is sighted for 130gr winchester rangers. 6.1gr be-86 copies that so she doesn't have to adjust her sights.

For .357 I wanted a warmer load but not full house. I keep those plated 125s around 1200. Shoots just a little low in my 66 but no problem in my m19. Similar poi as remington golden sabers.

I also tried some cheap 130gr jsps but they only expand at 1600fps so I wont waste any more time with them.

158gr swc-wn or TC hardcast from rimrock. Those are my favorites. I tried the tc because a while back they were a little cheaper than the swc-wn.

In the .38 5.2gr unique or 5.7gr be-86 get me over 900fps in my 3" guns. In the magnum ive tried to do a mid load but I think its a waste of brass. The .38s at over 900(1000 in 4" guns) fill that slot. 13.5 2400 is my jam. With the be-86 id try and see if you can push them to 1200fps.

140gr XTPs at 1140fps in mag cases seems to be the top end with unique. If I can find some more ill try them with be-86.

125xtps cant go more than 900ish fps in .38 cases with max loads of be-86 in my 3" m10. Im not sure im going to waste any more on testing them in .38s. I might see how fast be-86 can push them in magnum cases as i only have limited 2400 left and dont want to waste it.

I have some 170gr Keith bullets im going to load up to 13.5gr 2400 for a new woods load.

I really dont look for powder puff loads. I think the above .38 loads are plenty soft shooting.

I’m sitting on 8lbs of BE-86.
    You should be in good shape. Just don't be like me, I had probably 4k loaded in 9mm from the last time it was crazy and I got a bunch of Titegroup and thought I was all good. Some were so soft I ended up pulling (ruining) them and giving them to a friend that still casts occasionally. And during the shortage I have taken them opportunity to shoot up all of the rounds I have that are not right, including just finishing the last of the Titegroup/CLB loads that were awesome Dardas bullets (retired) and they were great bullets but not with TG. It is great powder but not for cast lead bullets. I think it might be OK for coated bullets, as I think others have mentioned.

This is a good community, I found 200 158gr SWCs hanging from my mailbox this morning
    #RESIST

There is a run on Dillon reloading machine parts, holy shit. I naively thought I could order up a .38 special Dillon 650 conversion kit. WRONG.
    #RESIST

There is a run on Dillon reloading machine parts, holy shit. I naively thought I could order up a .38 special Dillon 650 conversion kit. WRONG.
    I would loan you mine. It is new, I could send it and you could send me yours when you get it (or have it drop shipped).
    ETA: PM if you wanna.

Site Supporter
    For some time now I've noticed most gun related manufacturers, dealers, & component outlets are either short on inventory, it's out of stock, or just not available. I don't think the industry is in very good shape and this past year and the political picture doesn't bode well for it's future. People say things will get back to normal...but I'm not sure what "normal" is or will be anymore.

Dave

User Tag List