Page 54 of 65 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

From pictures, it looks like the Wiley Clapp has the same Novak drift out/in front sight as the Match Champion. Is that true?

I installed a tritium white-outline Novak on my MC and it's good. I also bought a brass bead version just because. Now they are offering tritium with orange and yellow outlines -- tempting but probably getting a little OCD to replace.

https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9509

I've seen from some folks on PF that Dawson Precision Novak-cut fronts work, too.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    That’s a great idea on the brass rod. You wouldn’t happen to know what size rod you used by chance? That is the one thing I do not care for on my GP...that FO rod. I find it hard to get decent alignment with the factory adjustable rear sight. (Mine is a .44spl.)

The other thing I’ve unsuccessfully toyed with are the grips. Mine came with the pebble grain Hogues. They’re nice, do a good job absorbing the 7.5gr Skeeter load, but was looking for something “not quite” as bulky. Per advice here, I tried the compact Letts. Don’t like them. At least for me on the .44, it makes the gun feel “unbalanced”. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting full sized Letts, or trying some VZs. I’m not sure how that hard micarta would feel in my hand under recoil however...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    I started with the stock wooden Hogues on my Match Champion, went to Altamonts, and now have the no-finger groove rubber Hogues that match the profile of the original wooden Hogues.

The Hogues seem to really point naturally, give me better trigger control than the Altamonts, and soak up recoil pretty well.
    The diameter of the brass pin wasn't a standard inch-denominated diameter you can just buy and cut a chunk of. I turned the pin to size on a lathe.

But yeah, I agree on the FO blob. I am pretty sure I posted pics here back when I did it. The blob was not centered on the post, so it overhung the edges unevenly. There was a delay on presentation while my brain deliberated on whether to use the blade or the blob as the center of the front sight. Pin is much better. Novak sells a brass bead version of the MC front sight if you don't have a lathe or friend with a lathe available.

I also went with a Bowen Rough Country for the rear.

I didn't really like the stock wood Hogue on the MC. Got the NFG rubber Hogue after Sherman House wrote about it. I started making little changes by shaving material off, then have built up some material by adding layers of gaffer tape. It's to a really good shape, far better IMO than stock. I tried having it scanned and 3D printed by a guy who offers that service. Best thing I can say about it is he refunded my money quickly. I have some clear grained walnut I intend to try carving into the shape of the rubber and tape at some point, but there are too many other things that are more urgent.

I seem to be one of just a few who don't like the Lett-pattern grips. Not enough fill behind the trigger guard and my long finger gets up there and gets hammered, even with the large one. And not quite enough reach to the trigger for me, either.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I seem to be one of just a few who don't like the Lett-pattern grips. Not enough fill behind the trigger guard and my long finger gets up there and gets hammered, even with the large one. And not quite enough reach to the trigger for me, either.
    I liked the Altamont grips (Lett-like) better than the wood Hogues that came on the MC. I think I understand why so many people are fans. They are pretty nice to shoot, very practical, and the inserts allow for some style.

I bought the rubber Hogues because they were a cheap experiment and I shot them a little dialing in a new rear sight. They did ok but I wasn't totally sold. I was planning to take a screwdriver to the range and do an A/B comparison of accuracy and speed between the Altamont and Hogue grips.

Before getting around to that, I did a disassembly cleaning on the Ruger. I put it back together with the Altamont on. I noticed it seemed like I was working harder on the trigger because I was pulling it back and up. I put the Hogue back on and the pull felt straight back and easier. I think the more vertical angle of the Hogue and it's narrower/longer shape just give me better leverage.

I'm keeping the Altamont handy, though. There are too many people with too much revolver experience who like them. I might learn something they already know that sends me back.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Olong,

Now that you mention turning the brass rod, I recall that thread. I might measure it out or call Novak’s to inquire about the blade height. Like you mentioned, other things more pressing on the plate at this time. I had the same issue with a FO on a BHP. I thought it was a great idea for my aging eyes, but my aging brain seems to struggle between attempting to acquire a normal blade and notch sight picture and just driving it like an Aimpoint. The brass bead on my SP101 doesn’t seem to defy my cranium in the same fashion. Go figure.

Also happy I’m not the only one who feels that way about the Letts. I think they are softer shooting than the Hogues, but like I stated, the mass of that cylinder seems to throw the balance off with the compacts installed. I’m not sure if the .357 version would suffer from the same issue. The only real issue I have with the Hogues is that the butt of the stock sometimes grabs a hanging over garment. I know Mikulek used to offer similar shaped stocks in wood. That might be an option too, although I bet they’d sting with heavy loads.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

To save yall a little hassle, the blade height is .270 and the diameter of the FO pin is .078. Ruger offers a brass bead, I called and groveled for one when I got my 5 inch. I guess you could buy one too. My other sights have come from Dawson and may get a tritium from there for the WC.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I reckon if you can email Ruger a photo of your blob demonstrating it's screwed up and poorly centered, they would probably just mail you a brass bead sight under warranty. Worth trying.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Mine’s a 3”. So the blade height would differ from a 5” no?

The measurements come from both of my 3 inch guns. I will measure the 5 " tomorrow when I get in from work but it think they are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I reckon if you can email Ruger a photo of your blob demonstrating it's screwed up and poorly centered, they would probably just mail you a brass bead sight under warranty. Worth trying.

This is sort of what I did to get the brass bead for my 5". It really doesn't take much to get one, just a little time and effort. I am exploring all of the self illuminating options because I am setting up the WC in a defensive roll. I have a set of replacement FOs coming in different colors I am goin to try before I go to tritium. I don't think I want a brass bead for this.
    Last edited by Crazy Dane; 03-21-2021 at 03:13 PM. Reason: clarification and bad spelling

I am home and updating this...

The sights that come off of my 5" are Novak and the blade measures .270. The brass bead blade is .270 and the bead measures .077ish. I cant get my micrometer on it and with calipers it a heavy .077, guessing probably .0775. This makes all of my GP sights that have come through Ruger the same at .270.

The interesting thing is that on Novak's site they state the GP100 sights are .265, hmmm?

I had to order an extra tall partridge from Dawson's for the 3" .44S. I filed to what I needed.

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the legwork. I’ll give Ruger a call. Let’s see...what was that acronym again for sight adjusting...so if the Novak is shorter, it will print higher relative to the same rear blade position correct? Moot point actually as the rear sight is adjustable.

Thanks again.

User Tag List