Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 145462636465 LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Odds are your throats are tight and plated bullets will be your friend.

There is a big website that will tell you to get your throats reamed because real men only shoot hardcast, but those fuckers can’t spell “bullet.”
    ROTFLMAO! Lester, I'm a regular visitor on that web site but you have struck the nail upon the flat part.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    ROTFLMAO! Lester, I'm a regular visitor on that web site but you have struck the nail upon the flat part.

Dave
    LOL. That was (mostly) tongue-in-cheek. There is some great info on that forum, and some really really nice people. I just got to the end of my last 500 round box of hardcast 158 grain SWC and frankly I'm happy to see them go. I'll be shooting plated for mid-range Magnums and .38 Special loads from now on. It isn't that much more expensive.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

There is a big website that will tell you to get your throats reamed because real men only shoot hardcast, but those fuckers can’t spell “bullet.”
    Real men are smart enough to send their cylinders to Douguy over on the CB forum for honing to precise and consistent dimensions.

He gave a very detailed description once of how Ruger reams their chambers and why you often have two different throat dimensions (3 chambers each, or it might be three dimensions of two each) on a 6-shot revolver.

I checked my GP100 10mm and sure enough, I had 3 that took a max .403 gauge and 3 wouldn’t (they would accept a .402). I

I had initially made the mistake of trying the .403 gauge once, which happed to be on one of the tighter throats. So then when every throat then took a .402, I called it good.

How would I know? It shoots great as is, last bullet purchase was SNS cast 158 SWCs.

Also, I cannot fathom why they do that silly spelling, but they are a nice and knowledgeable bunch over there. Shoot me if I ever start spelling bullets like that.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    LOL. That was (mostly) tongue-in-cheek. There is some great info on that forum, and some really really nice people. I just got to the end of my last 500 round box of hardcast 158 grain SWC and frankly I'm happy to see them go. I'll be shooting plated for mid-range Magnums and .38 Special loads from now on. It isn't that much more expensive.
    You're right, there are some good people over there. I visit mostly for the Black Powder Cartridge section but I have hated their misspelling of 'bullet' for years. You'd think adults would have gotten over trying to be cute. (wink, wink)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How would I know? It shoots great as is, last bullet purchase was SNS cast 158 SWCs.

Also, I cannot fathom why they do that silly spelling, but they are a nice and knowledgeable bunch over there. Shoot me if I ever start spelling bullets like that.
    If it's shooting SNS cast just fine, and you don't get leading, disregard. My throats are tight, and leads even with coated bullets.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

The story I read was the original owner of the forum tried to register “Cast Bullets” .com with the internet gods but someone was already squatting on that name so he tried “Cast Boolits” and it wasn’t taken. The guys there have used the misspelling to differentiate cast from “J Words” to the point that now it’s their schtick.

FWIW I’ll just not worry about cylinder throats unless a problem crops up. It’s possible to worry about minutiae to the point it ruins the fun. Both of my .357’s will accurately shoot .359” bullets without leading, my 10mm’s works with .402”, and my .44 Mags shoot .431”. As per Ruger’s apparent spec my .45 Colt’s are the problem children with odd throats and thread chokes. Doug Guy sorted out the 5 1/2”s cylinder so it puts 270SAA bullets into 2” at 25 yards without leading, I still need to send him the .45 acp cylinder to alleviate the .450” throats. My thread choked 4 5/8” Ruger .45 Colt just lives quite well on a diet of jacketed (j word) bullets.

Site Supporter
    Things would be so much easier if someone just made a plated .358" 158-grain WFN. A cannelure that yielded a 1.59" OAL when loaded in .357 Mag brass would be nice too. Shoot, a guy can dream...

The quick & easy test is to drive an oversized soft lead slug through the bore (known as “slugging”). The slug needs to be pure lead and big enough to fill the grooves.

Then see if the engraved slug will fit through your chamber throats. It should slip with very little effort, at most. If it doesn’t, the throats are probably too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Things would be so much easier if someone just made a plated .358" 158-grain WFN. A cannelure that yielded a 1.59" OAL when loaded in .357 Mag brass would be nice too. Shoot, a guy can dream...
    Almost but no cigar...from Berry's - 1.58" OAL and .357" bullet - https://www.berrysmfg.com/product/38357-357-158gr-fp-tp

You just had to snowflake with your hundredth of an inch in OAL and thousandth of an inch in diameter.

User Tag List