Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Are these still the smart buy for loading up training ammo or should I go cast and coated for slightly more? @03RN @dsa

https://www.snscasting.com/38-357-15...38_158swc_500/
    I prefer rimrock only because of cost. I'd hate to count all the empty boxes from them but I bet my son could build a might fort with them.

Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    What powder do you have? Coated broadens the parameters of matching bullet hardness to the speed and temperature of the powder used; you still need to get adequate obturation to prevent leading/gas checking. However, if you have a proven load and plenty of powder, save some $ and go with wax lubed bullets. That 158gr SWC has been around a long time and there are lots of proven loads for it.
    I’m sitting on a bit of BE-86, easily another year or so.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I prefer rimrock only because of cost. I'd hate to count all the empty boxes from them but I bet my son could build a might fort with them.
    Which Rimrock 158s do you like? Their website hurt my brain.
    #RESIST

I’m sitting on a bit of BE-86, easily another year or so.
    If memory serves me correctly the guys over on the Highroad have good things to say about BE-86 for medium loads in the .38/.357 and .44. I don't think you will be getting magnum velocities with it; but I would have to verify that.

If memory serves me correctly the guys over on the Highroad have good things to say about BE-86 for medium loads in the .38/.357 and .44. I don't think you will be getting magnum velocities with it; but I would have to verify that.
    I don’t need nor want magnum loads for training, I think my load is 5.6gr of BE-86 driving a 158 SWC (SWCs make nice neat holes in the paper).
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    My own preference is for coated bullets, they smoke less and help in avoiding lead contamination on your hands when loading. I haven't had any leading in .38 Special and .45 ACP loads. I have about 1k of FMJs to load for 9x19, when that's done I'm switching to coated RNs until I run out of the Fed 205 primers I'm using. Then I'll start on .357 Mag using BE-86 and 158-grain coated SWCs using Winchester SP primers. I'll be looking to get near-factory velocity with those, about seven grains should do it. Between the 9x19 and .357 Mag coated loads, we'll see how/if the coating holds down leading.

Which Rimrock 158s do you like? Their website hurt my brain.
    https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-38...per-800-1.html

Max load in .357 with be-86 gets me 1150fps in 2.75 and 4" guns

Are these still the smart buy for loading up training ammo or should I go cast and coated for slightly more? @03RN @dsa

https://www.snscasting.com/38-357-15...38_158swc_500/
    Odds are your throats are tight and plated bullets will be your friend.

There is a big website that will tell you to get your throats reamed because real men only shoot hardcast, but those fuckers can’t spell “bullet.”
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My GP100 takes a .3585 ZZ- gage pin in all six throats.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List