Page 19 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    As in three on the tree?

Dude, I own a 3 on the tree (‘63 Dart). My wife’s first car—at age 14 (Idaho; totally legal) was a Ford Maverick, so she can wail on the old Dart too. Just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    As far as just having revolver competence, I sorta look at it like a pilot knowing how to fly a taildragger. Not as modern, but a fella should be able to back up a trailer, and hit something with a revolver, damnit!!!
    Backing up a trailer, for sure. All the up-and-coming urban professionals in my neighborhood buying boats as they pay down mortgages has been the bane of my existence trying to get out of my neighborhood. At least once a month in the warmer seasons, I have to sit in a line and watch a late model truck engage in complete and total road, curb, and sidewalk fuckery with a late model boat.

I suppose they don’t teach that shit in college. My dad just yelled at me until I could back the boat in. Using the ‘63 Dart—which, absurdly, still has a tow hitch on it from before I had a driver’s license.

Folks, this is going to go waaaay tangential for a sec, but: everyone should have the experience of remembering what it’s like to be a new shooter. I learned to shoot handguns with a single-six, while standing between my father’s legs at maybe age 4 or 5, while he held the old flatgate and let me line up the sights, and work the trigger. At 21 (permit time), he gave me his old carry piece, the S&W 36-1 that I’ve posted pics of here before. When I graduated college, his grad gift was a trip to LFI, complete with Paul Gomez level hotel accomodations (Fernan rod n gun, the year that Greg Hamilton got mugged; @Mas).

Point being, despite my artistic tendency toward being a space cowboy, it’s been decades since I was a dunce with any common pistol.

But man. Regular readers may be aware that I finally caved and bought my first AR-pattern gun, a DD PDW. Again, I’m no Gabe White, but I can run anything you can conceal AIWB. But the AR? Full on Monkey/football.

I mean, I’m gonna figure it out pretty quick, and I have plenty of blooded experts eager to help me get squared away, but for now, I’m enjoying the feeling of being clueless on manipulation, and it’s been a while since I had occasion to recall the sensation. Go easy on the newbs. And, if they won’t take at least a one-day familiarization class, give them an LCR instead.

JMO.

This has stalled as I search for the right revolver. I thought I had found a good deal here on PF, but the seller has gone quiet. Also, Wiley Clapp Ruger GP100s appear to be unobtanium at this time.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This has stalled as I search for the right revolver. I thought I had found a good deal here on PF, but the seller has gone quiet. Also, Wiley Clapp Ruger GP100s appear to be unobtanium at this time.
    https://safegunshop.com/product/ruge...s-ss-talo-6rd/

Showed as being able to “add to cart”. Not sure if it’s true and I have no experience w seller.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I don't know if Ruger decided otherwise, but originally the WC was supposed to be a limited run of 2500 blued and 2500 stainless. I suspect maybe they changed their minds and made more runs given the apparent popularity, but never looked into it. You know, because I got mine so screw you guys. :P
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post

Showed as being able to “add to cart”. Not sure if it’s true and I have no experience w seller.
    My first instinct was to think blued is prettier, but then I remembered how much deburring and breaking edges my MC needed, and the stainless requires no refinishing or touch up after that work.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My dad has severe RA.

... a revolver, which he can load and unload easily, which he can lubricate easily, and which any malfunction he would have would be ammo related and another cock of the hammer fixes it.
    Slipped one in on us there, didn't you?
    I know a couple of ladies who were considerately furnished with revolvers by their menfolks.
    It did not take them long to figure out it was a lot easier to get hits if they thumbed back the hammer for a crisp 3 lb trigger pull than by hauling a DA pull 12 lbs for an inch.
    Chance and circumstance led them both to ADs, fortunately with no injury and only minor damage.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Slipped one in on us there, didn't you?
    I know a couple of ladies who were considerately furnished with revolvers by their menfolks.
    It did not take them long to figure out it was a lot easier to get hits if they thumbed back the hammer for a crisp 3 lb trigger pull than by hauling a DA pull 12 lbs for an inch.
    Chance and circumstance led them both to ADs, fortunately with no injury and only minor damage.
    Thumb cocking leading to unintended discharges is a very real concern. Dad can't safely lower the hammer, either. If he cocks it it's going to stay cocked until someone can get there to help him. But he can't pull the trigger otherwise since his hands are so fucked up. We're getting to the point that even a SA revolver isn't going to be an option, and even now it's mostly a security blanket that can make noise if he needs it to.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post

That place is a scam, FYI. I got excited about it for a bit last night.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gundealsFU/..._ordered_from/
    #RESIST

Well that sucks.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

That's too bad. I was all ready to say, "One of us... One if us... One of us..."
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

User Tag List