Page 12 of 65 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: LL's revolver quest, got a WC GP100

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I looked into this years ago, and I think the answer was "yes." I think I researched that on the Smith and Wesson forum?

I would agree that a 255 grain .45 ACP or .45 Super load would be "just enough" out of this gun...
    Can a 1917 handle +p or supers?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Anyone know whether the 325 Thunder Ranch can handle .45 Super? Because it seems like something that shoots .45 Auto or .45 AR would be a lot more deployable.
    Even if it could shoot .45 Super, I don't know if that would gain anything meaningfully beyond the capability offered by .45 Auto-Rim loaded with a 280gr RCBS 45-270-SAA Keith-style bullet at 850fps. See Brian Pearce's article on loading the .45 Auto-Rim in the August 2008 issue of Handloader Magazine.

To me, the .45 Super is only interesting in an autoloader where overall length, crimp strength, and bullet shape are important considerations and constraints. In a revolver, in my opinion, there are better choices to get similar performance and the .45 Auto-Rim with heavy-for-caliber bullets is one of them.

Concealed carry is a function of equipment and your build. I can comfortably carry and conceal a 4" N frame without a problem. I have done so on many occasions but I am 6'4" and 325 lbs. Depending on your build, an N Frame can work.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Can a 1917 handle +p or supers?
    I wouldn't recommend it. Nearly century-old steel, with turn-of-the-last century heat-treating, would steer me away from trying. Even if +P loads worked, they would accelerate wear on the gun for not much return in performance; particularly compared with the performance of heavier bullet loads. In the Brian Pearce article I referred to above, he wrote about using the RCBS 45-270-SAA in a S&W 1917 with 5.7gr of Universal Clays powder for 850fps. He reported that it grouped well, and was dead on at 100-yards, but noticeably high at 50-yards.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Even if it could shoot .$45 Super, I don't know if that would gain anything meaningfully beyond the capability offered by .45 Auto-Rim loaded with a 280gr RCBS 45-270-SAA Keith-style bullet at 850fps. See Brian Pearce's article on loading the .45 Auto-Rim in the August 2008 issue of Handloader Magazine.
    Assuming adjustable sight, yeah. My 22-4 is recent enough to have a lock but sports fixed sights. If I needed more power out of it, I’d go with a heavier loaded 230-grain bullet.
    To me, the .45 Super is only interesting in an autoloader where overall length, crimp strength, and bullet shape are important considerations and constraints. In a revolver, in my opinion, there are better choices to get similar performance and the .45 Auto-Rim with heavy-for-caliber bullets is one of them.
    If you have adjustable sights, yeah. My 22-4 has fixed sights so I’d have to stick with 230-grain bullets and push them faster.

Quote Originally Posted by jamautry View Post
    Concealed carry is a function of equipment and your build. I can comfortably carry and conceal a 4" N frame without a problem. I have done so on many occasions but I am 6'4" and 325 lbs. Depending on your build, an N Frame can work.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I’m 6’1”/185 and have no problem concealing a 4” N frame. You just have to dress for it.

Once you add an Acro how does the three inch K/L conceal AIWB?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

LL's revolver quest

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Even if it could shoot .45 Super, I don't know if that would gain anything meaningfully beyond the capability offered by .45 Auto-Rim loaded with a 280gr RCBS 45-270-SAA Keith-style bullet at 850fps. See Brian Pearce's article on loading the .45 Auto-Rim in the August 2008 issue of Handloader Magazine.

I’ve been experimenting with the LBT 250 ogival wadcutter. 7 grains of Power Pistol in in AR brass gives right around 900 FPS from my 625. 6-shot groups average 2.5”, but it’s consistently 2 flyers and 4 rounds almost in one hole.

I purchased then from MBW to test before buying a mold, but I’m kinda leaning towards this bad boy from Accurate

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-240A-D.png

IMO, unless you need flat-trajectory, there’s no point in driving a fat, non-expanding bullet over 1,000 FPS.
    Last edited by jtcarm; 11-29-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I still can’t figure out the market for the 329.

Is it the “hold my beer and watch this” demographic?

How many rounds do you have thru one?

Between my wife and I, we have eight 329 revolvers, most worked over lightly by Hamilton Bowen. At one time, they were the handgun of choice for AK bush pilots. We had some dedicated to .44 Special for practice, as the Special loads took a shorter front sight, even with the adjustable rear. We had others for the heavy .44 Special Keith load. Most were for the Garrett magnum load designed for the Scandium and Mountain guns. These were no fun to shoot. Once I shot a mule deer buck up the butt from 42 yards and complete penetration of the deer lengthwise. Oh, my most heinous one was a 329 PD, which was the short barrel variant that I shoehorned K frame boot grips on.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Once you add an Acro how does the three inch K/L conceal AIWB?
    Check out @jetfire ‘s IG page. He conceals a 3” L/ACRO combo just fine and he’s not a real big guy.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List