Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things to check when Selling ammo.

Question Things to check when Selling ammo.

Just thinking so nothing concrete but if I want to sell some ammo locally in sites like armslist, what are the things to check?
    Do need to check/take photo of ID to confirm buyer is over 21?
    There's no ammo sale tracking in CO like in CA but want to see what is the proper route.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Do need to check/take photo of ID to confirm buyer is over 21?
    18 USC 922(b)(1) only requires that FFLs not to sell handgun ammo to under-21's, or not sell non-handgun ammo to under-18's. Note that C&R FFLs are included in that requirement. But if you're not licensed, then there's no federal requirement to do any age check.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'd at least check the laws covering possession and transfers in your jurisdiction, and treat it about the same way you'd treat handing unknown persons, say, alcohol or cigarettes. If there is an age requirement, and they look like they could be anywhere near the cutoff and are not known to you, probably good to check it. Even if the law doesn't specifically put the onus on the person transferring the property, it's not a good look to have transferred it to someone who's not permitted to possess it.

IANAL, of course.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Okay thanks.
    I stopped going to the range and have quite bit left so thinking of selling as the price is good now.

Site Supporter
    If it was me and I was you:

I would only sell to someone 21 plus with ID

I would execute a mutual bill of sale where both parties attest that neither is a prohibited person re the buying/selling/possessing of the ammunition (which federal law treats just like a firearm)

I.E. if you knowingly transfer ammo to a prohibited person, you have likely committed a federal felony. The fact that you are not an FFL is irrelevant.

I would do the deal in broad daylight in camera shot in the parking lot of the local police station

If your pricing is remotely reasonable, you will have no problem identifying multiple buyers who will abide by your sales conditions.

I would get there 30 mins early and watch them arrive.

If I sensed the least bit of hink I would abort and reset with a different buyer.

I might consider Gunbroker etc and avoid the face to face altogether.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I would do the deal in broad daylight in camera shot in the parking lot of the local police station

If your pricing is remotely reasonable, you will have no problem identifying multiple buyers who will abide by your sales conditions.
    To add to this, if you propose doing it at the police station or a police designated safe exchange location, and they balk at all, I'd just find a different person. Also I ask for cash, no check or electronic payments as there are ways to chargeback payments. Easy way to quickly check for counterfeit cash is to use a UV light since the security strips will light up pretty brightly (except for $100s, but those have tons of built-in security features).

Also, depending on how much ammo you have, I'd consider keeping some since it's looking like probably 1+ years before prices will drop again, likely well after vaccines have rolled out in a big way.

Where did the ammo come from?

If you are planning to sell ammo you loaded, you will need a Federal Firearms License.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/pers...d-manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post

If you are planning to sell ammo you loaded, you will need a Federal Firearms License.

I wondered about that, but I'm still not sure. That page reads:

"Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit.

No, if the person reloads only for personal use."

Doesn't the 'for the purpose' part matter here? If OP wakes up and thinks 'hey, I have all these components sitting around, I think I'll load them up and sell them for mega$$', then yes he needs the FFL. But if he loaded them last year, intending on shooting them himself, then realizes he sold his .455 Webley and so might as well sell the leftover ammo, then I would imagine he would be OK selling.

Similarly, if a hobby machinist thinks 'hey, I'll make a couple of guns to sell', then he needs an FFL. If he makes a couple of guns as fun projects, for the challenge of machining them, or trying out a design or whatever, and later notices the safe is getting too full, it's perfectly OK for him to sell them.

There are obvious questions of proof here - the hobby machinist who is making selling a generic AR lower 'just for fun' from an 80% once a week might have trouble convincing a jury it was just a repeated itch he had to scratch, and a reloader who is loading a bunch of ammo for 'personal use' then rapidly changing his mind and selling it might also have an awkward story to tell to the jury.

But I'm not sure that a blanket statement that you can never sell reloads w/o an FFL is right.

(as a practical note, too, I would think the resale value of reloads from J. Random Reloader would be pretty low ... too much chance of blowing up your gun by saving a few bucks on ammo. Maybe that's just me.)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post

Not reload.
    I bought 9mm 1000 round case last December and just used little bit before the virus thing came along.
    Still have over 800 rounds so wanted to see if it's worth to make little money.

Site Supporter
    1000@200 ish in 12/19

800@400 ish in 12/20 all day long.

The real question is do you have anything else that will net you the 200 you will "make" on the sale?

That ammo is hard to come by and will not easily be replaceable absent spending a significant combination of time and/or treasure.

Since Oct 15 ish, I have on 2 occasions, managed to drive 40 miles round trip to the Cabelas and found ammo and/or components at reasonable prices. (.25 a round/powder at 29 per pound/bullets at 70 per 500).

3other times I got Nothing for the 1.5 hrs of time spent and the 20.00 (mileage if I could be reimbursed in some way which I cannot).

Unless it was a food on table/roof overhead situation, I would hang on to that ammo.

Now if you told me you had 8000 rds and you wanted to sell 2000 of it, that might be a different story depending on how much and what else you shoot.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List